• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus or Droid Razr Maxx

Jedii

Android Expert
May 4, 2010
Arkansas
I've had my Nexus since 1-12. Love ics 4.0, and the display is great.

I feel the phone is to big for me. I struggle texting with one hand.

I also feel the camera is sub par.

With the Droid Razr Maxx launching, should I just deal with my Nexus issues or should I switch to the Maxx?

Yes, I'm full aware of the specs ans OS differences. I just wanted some advice or opinions from the community.

Thanks!

Had the Nexus and returned it for a variety of reasons. Bad radio, bad volume, and as you have said the camera is adequate but definitely sub par.
A friend went from the X to the Razor and is totally happy. I imagine the Maxx with the battery would be a great phone.
I did a bunch of flashing and rom/theme changes to my X but 99% were to make improvements to the phone. I actually would not have done much had it been as good as the Razor is in stock form :)

Upvote 0
I think it depends on what matters most to you.

Yes, the volume is kind of low. The camera is good but not the best. The screen is big. If those are dealbreakers for you, definitely get another phone.

For me, the volume's loud enough and the camera's good enough. And I like the large screen. I also like the new button change and all the ice cream sandwich features.

Upvote 0
I would say the Razr Maxx, but then I just bought the 16gb Razr, so I may be a tad prejudiced. I went through the same thing about 4 days ago, trying to decide between the Razr and the iPhone 4S. In the end, just pick the phone that you like better. Don't worry about the minor hardware differences, or software unless that REALLY matters to you, and just go with the phone that you personally like the most. This is only a hard choice if you make it one.

Reactions: Jedii
Upvote 0
I would say the Razr Maxx, but then I just bought the 16gb Razr, so I may be a tad prejudiced. I went through the same thing about 4 days ago, trying to decide between the Razr and the iPhone 4S. In the end, just pick the phone that you like better. Don't worry about the minor hardware differences, or software unless that REALLY matters to you, and just go with the phone that you personally like the most. This is only a hard choice if you make it one.

Very well said. Thanks

Upvote 0
Any other thoughts?

I watched a few comparison videos. Still super torn on what to do...

I've had the GN with the extended battery for about 5 days. It went back to VZ for the following reasons:
- WITH the Extended Battery and moderate use I could BARELY get out 5 hours of use out of it
- I found a pretty serious bug with email sync. I would delete emails only to have them pop up right back a few seconds/minutes later. That was for both Exchange and Gmail accounts.
- I found the camera to be sub-par (already mentioned).

So, my recommendation is to go with the MAXX if that's your only other choice.

I looked at the Razor but ruled it out for two reasons: 1) irreplaceable battery and, which is of course fixed with the MAXX and 2) I'm not a fan of the Motorola implementation of the OS. The 3rd reason (not as high as the other two) is that the screen resolution is not as good as the HTC Rezound.

So I ended getting the Rezound (with the extended battery) and found it to be probably the BEST 4G on VZ at this point. I love the HTC extensions to the OS, the screen is just amazing and the form factor even with the extended battery is not too big. The battery lasts the entire day, 8am to midnight on a single charge and still has some juice left. Add to that Beat audio and it's a winner. It's as fast as heck. And lastly, it would eventually (HTC says Q1) get Android 4.0 which I'm pretty sure will be much more solid than the current version on the GN.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones