1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Galaxy Nexus Questions...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by BSP, Nov 2, 2011.

1. BSP

BSP Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I am currently using an iPhone, however I am planning on switching over to the Galaxy Nexus when it is released. I am thinking about importing an unlocked one, and then using it on AT&T. However, I have a few question. Firstly, if I'm importing one from the UK (HSPA+ of course), will I be able to put in an AT&T sim card into my phone and get full functionality of it (i.e. internet, phone, texting, voicemail, etc)-- in addition will AT&T be able to provide a sim card for it? Also, are there any big differences between buying a UK one and a US one (like Android Market differences, missing features, etc)?

Thanks a bunch in advance everyone!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You must ensure that the phone is carrier unlocked (not branded by any of the British telecoms, or with a valid unlock code) and you must make sure you get a model that supports AT&T's frequency bands.

Frequencies used on the AT&T Network
    850 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
    1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE 2G
    850 MHz UMTS/HSPA 3G
    1900 MHz UMTS/HSPA 3G
    700 MHz LTE 4G

You should be fine with a U.S. sim card from AT&T.

3. BSP

BSP Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks for the answer! I'm having a hard time figuring out the info though, I'm thinking about getting it on Amazon, but I can't seem to find any info on it being unlocked/ the frequencies...

4. lilotimz

lilotimz Member
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    iirc, the galaxy nexus has the bands for 3g/4g hdspa+ 21 (42?) for both att and tmobile so it'll work on both carriers just fine.

BSP likes this.
  5. BSP

BSP Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks!!!! So everything should work fine, Market should be fine, and I should be able to get the sim card from att? Thanks again both of you!

6. BSP

BSP Member
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    So, final question I suppose, buying an unlocked UK Galaxy Nexus will work just fine on AT&T?

Lol wait one more: Will it be able to run on HDSPA+ (so about how fast will it be)?

7. lilotimz

lilotimz Member
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    If it's the unlocked int'l version that's not locked to a specific carrier then yes.

It should run on Tmobiles HSDPA 21+(maybe 42...don't remember) network and ATT's HSPA 14.4 network. Network speeds usually vary depending on location, how active the tower nearest you is, and what kind of upgrades the companies did to their towers.

In my area, tmobile has HSDPA+ 42 up and active alongside Verizon LTE and Sprint Wimax. I've recently messed with my friends HTC Amaze 4g and her phone got ~16-19 megs down/ 3-6 up while one of my others friend has one of the Verizon Droid's (along with a $30 grandfathered unlimited plan) and get arond 14 mbps down / 4-6 up.

In my area it's really high but in most area it is lower. SO depends really.