• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Nexus ROM flashing troubles

Hey guys
I have an old Google Galaxy nexus and I was trying to put a new ROM on it. I did as the online instructions said. My device is rooted, the data erased/factory reset, cache partition is deleted too.

The huge problem that I'm having is that once I boot into recovery mode and select a rom to flash (via SD method), I get an error and the installation aborts. I can't adb push anything to my phone and my computer doesn't detect my phone as a device even. I can't even boot regularly as I get sent to the setup wizard which crashes at the WiFi connection stage and starts over.

What do I do? Please can someone help me out. If there is a way to force flash the ROM, I'd love to know it.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160908_074649.jpg
    20160908_074649.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 20160908_074728.jpg
    20160908_074728.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 20160908_074734.jpg
    20160908_074734.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 261
  • 20160908_075032.jpg
    20160908_075032.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 237
Welcome to AF, Spencer :).

Samsung Galaxy Nexus, correct?

Is that the stock recovery you're using? You need a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM...

What "online instructions" are you referring to?

We've got a GNex root area here at AF that might be helpful:

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Reference links/threads:

In a nutshell:

- obtain proper custom recovery (download to your PC)

- put your device in fastboot/bootloader mode

- to flash a custom recovery:

fastboot flash recovery custom-recovery-image-filename

and then use the bootloader screens to boot into recovery
- or to soft-boot custom recovery (won't overwrite your current recovery):

fastboot boot custom-recovery-image-filename
- after the custom recovery is running, push the custom ROM .zip file over to your device using adb

- flash the custom ROM .zip file from your custom recovery
^^^ That's a LOT of stuff if you've never done or heard of the above before....

Read. Read. Read.

You also have to pay attention to Google apps ("gapps"), I'm sure...

The custom ROM developer's thread should guide you on the proper way to install their ROM (wipes, gapps, special instructions, etc.).

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones