1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy Nexus to Galaxy S3 Anyone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Old Member, May 4, 2012.

1. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert

Anyone thinking of trying out the Galaxy S3? My son is due for an upgrade. I'm thinking of giving him my Galaxy Nexus and getting the Galaxy S3.

Samsung GALAXY S III

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. patch321

patch321 Well-Known Member

i personally find a screen any bigger than the Gnex's unusable. I honestly think the gnex's screen is a bit too big. sometimes hard to operate with one hand without doing some pretty good hand stretches. the other specs look impressive andi'm interested to see the camera. however touchwiz and the screen might be deal breakers for me.

3. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

Wife is currently on the Fascinate (VZW's original Galaxy S) and is up for an update in June. I may steer her towards the GS3 depending on what the rumors are at that point (release date, VZW availability, etc). She's already said she's getting the best phone available at the time so she can trump my Nexus.

4. Karuk

Karuk Android Enthusiast

Can't say until Verizon shows us the effed up version they crap out.

If I'm getting a bigger screen why not go all the way and get the Note?

5. kg2128

kg2128 Well-Known Member

It's a better phone than the Galaxy Nexus, but other than the cpu/gpu nothing mind blowing. The One X and the Galaxy S3 will be at the top of the smartphone world, but more excited about what comes after those 2 from HTC and Samsung. And of course the next Nexus.

Ninja Monkey likes this.
  6. patch321

lets also not forget that it will be getting updates (at least) months after the gnex. i agree with a previous poster. if i wanted a phone/tablet hybrid why not go all out and get the note?

7. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Android Enthusiast

From what I've seen, if I were buying a phone today, I'd still get the GNex. The S3 looks like a really nice phone, but I still like the GNex a lot better.

Ninja Monkey likes this.
  8. NJSmoke

NJSmoke Member

I am some what interested in the HTC One. Not interested in the Samsung SIII at all. Rather have software buttons. And I didn't think it was possible, because there is only so many way to design a phone, they are all going to be rectangular. But the SIII is ugly.

9. Nabraham

Nabraham Android Enthusiast

I honestly don't see what the s3 has over the nexus other then the camera. And I hate touchwiz, I'll stick with my nexus.

10. patch321

i think the HTC one is one of the most beautiful phones i've ever seen. having said that, i would never go back to HTC. My experience with the EVO was horrible and I HATED sense.

I ordered the gnex about a week ago knowing that the GSIII was right around the corner and never even thought twice about it.

11. ledlauzis

ledlauzis Lurker

Galaxy S3 is better when it comes to camera, battery, display colors (both phones has Super AMOLED but for Galaxy S3 it looks better) and additional services that Galaxy Nexus doesn't offer, like 50GB free storage, S Voice and etc. But the Galaxy S3 is not anything revolutionary but it's just a bit better but not by much.
    The main thing why Galaxy Nexus is better is Android updated and less "spam" that comes pre-installed

12. TheRoosevelt

TheRoosevelt Android Expert

If I were buying a phone right this second, I wouldn't bother waiting for the GS3. It's not too big of an upgrade from the Gnex, and honestly, I find it kind of ugly.

13. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

Pretty much exactly what I was going to type. (Not that I'm ready to buy a new phone...I'll be using my SGN for a good while...)

14. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

No reason to upgrade from a GNex to SIII... screen is same Res but bigger... lower pixel density... will actually look worse

15. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert

No. I was really really considering it when the first renders came out with a fully rectangular phone, no physical buttons and a non-Pentile screen. As it sits, it isn't much of an upgrade IMO.

16. allyn

allyn Newbie

I can't figure out why anybody would want a phone with a physical button after having a Galaxy Nexus. I must say I'm pretty underwhelmed by the S3. Seems just like a Note with a smaller screen, no stylus, and a quad-core processor. Big whoop.

jkc120 likes this.
  17. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

Physical home button is pretty popular in Asia and Europe. That's why Sammy keeps that style on international one. But I don't think US version will have that as they never did it on galaxy phones in US. I guess it will have three capacitive button like One X or three soft buttons like Nexus. I also think GSIII is too conservative external body design though I like curvy/rounded design. It can be done better like One X.

As for upgrade, it's not here yet and we don't know when verizon gets this. You can't consider upgrading to a phone that's not even available here yet.

18. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert

You sure about that one? :) I think GNex will be my first and last Samsung. I had heard about the sketchy radios and took a leap of faith. You know what they say about "fool me twice". Since modding doesn't concern me, I think I'll wait for Motorola's HD/ICS device.

19. giannib

giannib Newbie

I don't think camera will be better, pixel count should stop at 5 M. More than that can't get enough light from the tiny lens.

Think that the new Nikon flagship, a 5000 $ beast, has "only" 16 Mpixels

20. ALurker

ALurker Well-Known Member

Same here. I think the SGS3 is a decent upgrade over the nexus due to speed and camera and to a lesser extent battery and all of the "Smart" features. Unfortunately Samsung has ruined me with their crappy radio and lack of accessories and updates. If these updates on the nexus are "fast" then I would hate to see them with the SGS3.

21. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

Until they have an LTE version out, I won't even look at it. At first, it caught my attention, but halfway through my read, I hit that point, and just stopped. No point even looking anymore until they've added the LTE functionality, for me anyway.

22. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

The US-bound SGS3 will most likely have LTE. It will just mean the CPU won't be a quad-core Exynos. See the difference in HTC One X stateside vs. international.

23. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast

I thought they said the 4412 would integrate LTE radios?

24. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

The only advantage I see for the S III is the SD slot and larger on board memory options. But not deal breakers at this point. Will keep my GNex... What I'm eager to wait for is the "next" Nexus.

25. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast

If I were in the market for a new phone, and both phones were available today on VZW, I would go w/ the GS3. It is a better version of the GN. The extra smart features are nice, the 50GB cloud storage is really nice, microSD slot is a big plus, and I am one of those people who actually prefers hardware buttons. The phone will get big time developer support, so there will be plenty of ROMs to choose from. I wish they had limited the screen size to 4.5", but I can say the same about the GN - it's just big enough to be a little annoying.

But do I want to upgrade? Nope. The GS3 isn't that big of a leap from the GN. Given the speed of advancement in mobile CPU's, there will be phones out by the beginning of next year that trounce the GS3.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews