• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

I've been after the spousal unit for a wish list since October.... told me she didn't want anything, so that's what I'm getting her..... NOTHING...

Well, that and an onxy & diamond Omega slide, a 3 stone ring and couple gift cards to her favorite spa & nail joints

But that's it, nothing else damn it.

Well, if she won't give you a wish list, I'll be happy to give you mine. :D

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Again, not AT ALL true...All of this seems incredible fishy to me. VERY fishy. I do not have a defective device, I am pretty sure of it. I can go down the road 1000 feet in either direction and have full 4g coverage with an average speed test rating of 25 down and 15 up. I have 1 bar right this second in my own house @ -113dbm and get 4 down and .6 up. All of these reports and people saying its dbm that matters, I completely agree, but why is it that my 3g connection is at -107 and on my Droid X was always at -70 to -80? There is something wrong with the radio's. Personally, I think it is something like if you are not within a couple miles of a tower, your signal is just awful. I was told my tech support that I was RIGHT in between 2 towers, both being 3 miles away which could be why my reception is so bad and that as soon as I leave the development, it instantly gets better.

I still just can't buy the fact that everyone is saying there is nothing wrong with the radio, and people are just freaking out over the "bars". I don't give a *bleep* about bars, I just want to be able to take a phone call in my own damn house without it cutting out and dropping.

I completely agree. Well said. Work in 5 mins!

Upvote 0
Can anyone that uses Apple computers/Macbooks please help?

I am the computer guy in the family. My niece is getting an Macbook Air for Xmas. I know next to nothing about Apple computers.

I usually tell people there is no need to pay for virus protection. All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG Free and Malwarebytes. Is there anything comparable to that for Apple computers?

Also, is there anything I should add or delete upon setting up her Macbook?

Upvote 0
Again, not AT ALL true...All of this seems incredible fishy to me. VERY fishy. I do not have a defective device, I am pretty sure of it. I can go down the road 1000 feet in either direction and have full 4g coverage with an average speed test rating of 25 down and 15 up. I have 1 bar right this second in my own house @ -113dbm and get 4 down and .6 up. All of these reports and people saying its dbm that matters, I completely agree, but why is it that my 3g connection is at -107 and on my Droid X was always at -70 to -80? There is something wrong with the radio's. Personally, I think it is something like if you are not within a couple miles of a tower, your signal is just awful. I was told my tech support that I was RIGHT in between 2 towers, both being 3 miles away which could be why my reception is so bad and that as soon as I leave the development, it instantly gets better.

I still just can't buy the fact that everyone is saying there is nothing wrong with the radio, and people are just freaking out over the "bars". I don't give a *bleep* about bars, I just want to be able to take a phone call in my own damn house without it cutting out and dropping.

I agree with this in a sense. I am not convinced though that there is anything "wrong", so much as it seems the Galaxy Nexus is a weak performer in fringe areas such as your situation right in the middle of two towers possibly spaced more for coverage area rather than cell site user volume. Have you used anything other than a Moto and Samsung for 3g at your house? I would be curious to know if you see the same issues with other non-Moto's such as an HTC or LG.

At my desk at work I always had POOR 3g reception on my OG Droid mostly cause of the office building and side of the building I am on. With LTE I get GREAT reception because of the 700mhz where VZW runs on all PCS here in DFW as far as I know. With the GNex set to 3g only I can't even hold onto the data network and see 1X much more than 3g. My OG Droid could hold 3g most of the time here, but would drop to 1x on occasion. So it was obviously dealing with the fringe nature of my desk MUCH better. If I walk to the other side of the building though they are probably equal. No clue on other phones as I have only owned the OG and GN at this job.

Upvote 0
I agree with this in a sense. I am not convinced though that there is anything "wrong", so much as it seems the Galaxy Nexus is a weak performer in fringe areas such as your situation right in the middle of two towers possibly spaced more for coverage area rather than cell site user volume. Have you used anything other than a Moto and Samsung for 3g at your house? I would be curious to know if you see the same issues with other non-Moto's such as an HTC or LG.

I had an X, bro in law has an X, sister has a Dinc2, neighbor has a blackberry, and when my parents get here Friday, Ill be able to test it against a Charge (for the LTE) and an LG phone so I will have pretty much everything covered so I can actually come to the conclusion of whether or not it's the Nexus or the area I am in. I will come here will the information I collect if anyone else is curious.

Reactions: IHateMyTreo
Upvote 0
Heres some screenies of my setup :)

ss1-L.jpg
ss2-L.jpg

Reactions: IndecisiveElle
Upvote 0
Can anyone that uses Apple computers/Macbooks please help?

I am the computer guy in the family. My niece is getting an Macbook Air for Xmas. I know next to nothing about Apple computers.

I usually tell people there is no need to pay for virus protection. All you need is Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG Free and Malwarebytes. Is there anything comparable to that for Apple computers?

Also, is there anything I should add or delete upon setting up her Macbook?

my brother doesn't run anything on his. And we don't have anything on the macs at work.
Elle has a MacBook iirc. Maybe pm her to see what she is running.

Reactions: halon
Upvote 0

I have had, in the last four months, a ReZound, Bionic, Charge and now Nexus. I live in a 3G only area, and my house is right between two towers and on the edge of both of them. The lack of bars and data drops is why I got rid of the bionic.

The rezound, my sons thunderbolt, my wife's vortex are ALL showing around -90 dbm at my house. The charge was around -100 and my Nexus is CONSISTENTLY showing -120 with a network state of disconnected ans one or zero bars. Data isn't a big deal at home, I have wifi, and I have yet to be unable to call or text, but SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE.

I am hoping that something gets fixed via ota, because the constant search for signal is KILLING my battery life.

I also hope it gets fixed because I LOVE EVERY OTHER SINGLE THING ABOUT THIS PHONE!!!! :)

Upvote 0
I have had, in the last four months, a ReZound, Bionic, Charge and now Nexus. I live in a 3G only area, and my house is right between two towers and on the edge of both of them. The lack of bars and data drops is why I got rid of the bionic.

The rezound, my sons thunderbolt, my wife's vortex are ALL showing around -90 dbm at my house. The charge was around -100 and my Nexus is CONSISTENTLY showing -120 with a network state of disconnected ans one or zero bars. Data isn't a big deal at home, I have wifi, and I have yet to be unable to call or text, but SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT HERE.

I am hoping that something gets fixed via ota, because the constant search for signal is KILLING my battery life.

I also hope it gets fixed because I LOVE EVERY OTHER SINGLE THING ABOUT THIS PHONE!!!! :)

FINALLY! SOMEONE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME!

This post is full of win. I agree, this phone is hands down the best phone I have ever owned, but it is kind of a big deal that I can barely hold a signal and it just gets worse when they have come out and said there is nothing wrong with the phone and that they only update they are doing is an increase in signal bars. So disappointing.

Upvote 0
I had an X, bro in law has an X, sister has a Dinc2, neighbor has a blackberry, and when my parents get here Friday, Ill be able to test it against a Charge (for the LTE) and an LG phone so I will have pretty much everything covered so I can actually come to the conclusion of whether or not it's the Nexus or the area I am in. I will come here will the information I collect if anyone else is curious.

Cool. I would be curious about how the Dinc2, BB, and LG compare on 3g download speeds. I tend to try and ignore reported signal strength even and focus more on actual capability to use data connection. Even though my OG Droid had better ability to hold 3g here, I am pretty certain that was just a label as my actual download speeds were useless and tough to even tell actual download speed diff from when it would fall back to 1x. The GN is probably JUST as useful here in terms of download speeds on 3g/1x even though it tends to sit on 1x a lot more than the OG did. I do think though that a Moto will tend to be able to grab a signal and keep a call connected and such in places you just can't even get through on other phones.

Oh and no clue on 3g/1x signal strength on my OG, but I have the GN reporting -83dbm on 3g right now even though it can't clear 400kbps. So I really do think the signal strength is only a tiny part of the whole picture on things working well in the fringe. And it all gets more confusing when talking LTE at 700mhz while CDMA might be 1900mhz only in your area. I can probably go outside and get down to -75dbm 3g but then see 1.5mbps downloads.

I'll have to goto a fringe 4g area near my house and see whether the Charge or my Nexus gets better downloads. I know my Nexus seems to lose the signal sooner, but may actually work better while it has it.

Reactions: tluley51
Upvote 0
FINALLY! SOMEONE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME!

This post is full of win. I agree, this phone is hands down the best phone I have ever owned, but it is kind of a big deal that I can barely hold a signal and it just gets worse when they have come out and said there is nothing wrong with the phone and that they only update they are doing is an increase in signal bars. So disappointing.

I think ive narrowed it down to the Gnex not being able to recieve signal inside a home. I have signal outside and near a window, but indoors I have issues :(

Reactions: bradm77
Upvote 0

Interesting. It's sounding like reception/signal issues cause by actual distance from towers is more serious than my issue more related to obstructions. Do either you or tluley51 know whether you have Verizon 850mhz CDMA bands in your area? The Charge is the biggest tell though as the difference suggests a slightly less optimized antenna as the Modem and radio are about the exact same thing. Haven't tried my wife Charge at work here to compare 3g weak signal differences.

EDIT: Forgot to ask if the Rezound, Thunderbolt, Charge, or Vortex do any better at acquiring a data connection or are they just better at keeping a signal and not killing battery?

Upvote 0
Just to clarify,My family is fine.He was An NYPD Officer,we are all brothers. Its sad on many levels because he could have retired 2years ago with his pension kicking right in.Then I look at myself loving this job every day,thinking I could have retired 7 years ago at 43 years old.

I understand. Line of Duty deaths affect everyone. 3 years law enforcement and 15 years in EMS. Medics don't retire, their backs or their brains give out first. That's why I am going back to school for IT. I don't want to work forever.

Upvote 0
I might be the only one, but, I'm rooted and have yet to flash anything. I haven't heard of anything that has been labeled "you gotta have this". I haven't added the leaked radios either because I think my reception has been fantastic so far.

As for batter life? I love it. I love the phone! I wanna marry it :)

At least the phone will never leave dirty underwear on the floor. And won't complain if you spend hours neglecting her. Lol

Upvote 0
I might be the only one, but, I'm rooted and have yet to flash anything. I haven't heard of anything that has been labeled "you gotta have this". I haven't added the leaked radios either because I think my reception has been fantastic so far.

As for batter life? I love it. I love the phone! I wanna marry it :)

Agreed. I'm running Universal HD because I find it snappier than stock 4.0.2.

But I have no problems with it at all.

Reactions: halon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones