• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Ok, setting a wallpaper is getting to be annoying for me. Every one I pick ends up not looking right due to the selection box not using the whole picture (which means ugly, blurry pixelated stuff with some of them). Is there any way to pop them directly into the same area the default wallpapers are or to have the whole picture rather than just a cropped version of it? I have tried some set to the proper size of 1440 x 1280 but that doesn't work, even making the screen selection as big as it gets, it cuts off a portion of the image.

Upvote 0
Ok, setting a wallpaper is getting to be annoying for me. Every one I pick ends up not looking right due to the selection box not using the whole picture (which means ugly, blurry pixelated stuff with some of them). Is there any way to pop them directly into the same area the default wallpapers are or to have the whole picture rather than just a cropped version of it? I have tried some set to the proper size of 1440 x 1280 but that doesn't work, even making the screen selection as big as it gets, it cuts off a portion of the image.

This drove me crazy for a day until I figured it out.

You have a few choices here.

If you size a paper to 1440 x 1280, as this is such an oddball size!, it will undoubtedly cut part of your favorite papers off. I'm talking pre-editing before putting on your phone here.

You can theoretically use any paper for the phone, but the best "common" size readily available imo is 1600 x 1200. Interfacelift has a ton, thousands. But as you say, parts of the picture will be cropped when setting to a wallpaper in-phone.

If you take a paper on your PC and resize it to fill the crop guides on your GN it has to be 1440 x 1280. Therefor, to get the full/maximum resolution and least amount of cropping on the gorgeous GN screen I'd use a 1600 x 1200. Of course if you want the highest res possible on the GN screen you'd edit a picture with the dimensions larger than 1440 x 1280 (in both directions!), but you'd crop out a lot (editing on the PC). A 16:9 paper measuring 2560 x 1440 would be the most readily available on the web that I know of.

Hope I explained this well and feel free to send me a pic to re-size if it confuses you

Upvote 0
May end up making a separate thread about this, but figured I'd ask here first - can anyone recommend a good Game Boy emulator for Android? There are so many choices and I'm not sure which one to pick. I was going to pick GameBoid, but it seems it's gone belly up. TIA :)

i have all the ---oid emulator apks saved. when the dev got booted from the market, he put them on his own site for free. this includes gameboid, nesoid, snesoid, genesoid, n64oid, etc. PM me if you want any of them.

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0

If you size a paper to 1440 x 1280, as this is such an oddball size!, it will undoubtedly cut part of your favorite papers off. I'm talking pre-editing before putting on your phone here.

You can theoretically use any paper for the phone, but the best "common" size readily available imo is 1600 x 1200. Interfacelift has a ton, thousands. But as you say, parts of the picture will be cropped when setting to a wallpaper in-phone.

If you take a paper on your PC and resize it to fill the crop guides on your GN it has to be 1440 x 1280. Therefor, to get the full/maximum resolution and least amount of cropping on the gorgeous GN screen I'd use a 1600 x 1200. Of course if you want the highest res possible on the GN screen you'd edit a picture with the dimensions larger than 1440 x 1280, but you'd crop out a lot (editing on the PC). A 16:9 paper measuring 2560 x 1440 would be the most readily available on the web that I know of.

Hope I explained this well and feel free to send me a pic to re-size if it confuses you

Got it, will play around with it once I get home from the office. Thanks much!

Upvote 0
From what I remember reading you have to open systemUI.apk in a zip program and look for the drawable folder and it should be in there. I'd look for color customization in the one from rootzwiki to see what they actually changed because I am not near a computer so can't be definite.

I'd search their file for color or the # symbol and see what you come up with. Let me know how it goes.

Han check this out -- I found a systemUI.apk editor on xda: [TOOLS] SystemUI Editor - xda-developers

Let me know if it works for you.

Awesome! I'm going to check it out; I ran into problems with APK manager trying to sign and zip.

Upvote 0

If you take a paper on your PC and resize it to fill the crop guides on your GN it has to be 1440 x 1280. Therefor, to get the full/maximum resolution and least amount of cropping on the gorgeous GN screen I'd use a 1600 x 1200. Of course if you want the highest res possible on the GN screen you'd edit a picture with the dimensions larger than 1440 x 1280 (in both directions!), but you'd crop out a lot (editing on the PC). A 16:9 paper measuring 2560 x 1440 would be the most readily available on the web that I know of.

I have also found the couple bucks for PicSay Pro for your phone can be quite helpful for resizing right on your phone.

Upvote 0
That's awesome! Is Gameboid still the best choice? Does the dev still support it?

repsonded to your PM, but i am posting the link here for everyone else as well, since it is still up.

---oid Emulators by Yongzh

that is the original developer's account, and i have been using those apks for months, so no need to worry about them. i know many people are weary of 3rd party market downloads.

edited to add: i cannot confirm that these work on the GNex, as i haven't tried them yet. they all ran fine on my thunderbolt and are still in use on my Nook Color and g-Tablet.

Upvote 0

Normally would not quote my own post.. but found the solution that does not require resizing the picture..

Using the chrome browser and chrome to phone, the picture will show up as a webpage on your phone. Long press on the picture, get option to set as wallpaper.. no sizing icon, full picture ends up as your wallpaper. Might not be an option for those of you who only want one page however. But pretty dang nifty!

Upvote 0
Normally would not quote my own post.. but found the solution that does not require resizing the picture..

Using the chrome browser and chrome to phone, the picture will show up as a webpage on your phone. Long press on the picture, get option to set as wallpaper.. no sizing icon, full picture ends up as your wallpaper. Might not be an option for those of you who only want one page however. But pretty dang nifty!

What do you mean "chrome to phone"?

Upvote 0
What do you mean "chrome to phone"?

What Solid said.. but essentially, Chrome to Phone is an extension you can get for your Chrome browser on your computer. Click it in your browser and you send the webpage to your phone. Kind of like Beam for your computer to your phone.. only with a much longer range.

You need the app on your phone and the extension in your browser for it to work.

Reactions: SolidOrange
Upvote 0
Hey guys, need help quick! Are there any Verizon 4G phones with a QWERTY keyboard besides the Stratosphere and the Droid 4? My friend waiting for the Droid 4 is about to settle for the Droid 3 instead and I'm trying to convince her not to, but I'm drawing a blank on alternatives. Anyone?

pretty sure those are the only 2 right now. my roommate has a stratosphere because he couldn't live without a keyboard and it is a great phone, especially for the price. i would recommend it over the droid 3 any day. better screen, MUCH better keyboard, 4G access, etc. not to mention that you can get one for free from radio shack right now:

Samsung Stratosphere | 4G LTE Android Smartphone | RadioShack

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones