• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Yep, delay in event.

Second huge announcement for Google in G+ Hangouts, second time in a row they've had an excuse.

Uh, oh, the Premium Bug hit me and I'm gold again :p

Maybe a kind Admin can fix me, I can't send a PM or get into anything right now...

:eek:

I just had that today too!! I posted in Private Chat with Mods and I was red again very quickly.

Great idea.

Premium bug should be permanently fixed for both of you, let me know if you have any other account trouble.

Upvote 0
^I'm excited about that as well Stig. My wife an I use hangouts almost exclusively between the two of us. Have even gotten my brother on Hangouts instead of texts and he's an iOS user (in fact, he was visiting this weekend talking about wanting to get rid of his iPhone 5 and switch to Android...I like to think I had a hand in that, haha). Now that SMS is integrated, I see no use for the stock messaging app.

Upvote 0
Sigh.

So although I have ZERO complaints with the Note 3 (easily the best phone I've ever owned), I couldn't say the same about the Note 10.1.

At first, it was amazing. Great note taking with the S-Pen. Practically like pen and paper. But I started noticing a few days ago that there were some lag issues.

When pressing the home button, it would take a good 2 or 3 seconds to wake up. PDF performance was getting laggier. Exiting out of apps to the homescreen was taking longer and longer. I did a factory reset, installed only 1 or 2 apps, and it was fine for a day, and then the same thing started happening! I was going to exchange it at Best Buy today, but I just didn’t have a good feeling after playing with their in-store model. So I just ended up returning it.

On Friday, I will join my wife and other iSheep to buy the iPad Air. PDF annotation is a MUST in my field, and Android just isn’t cutting it yet. I’m really disappointed that Samsung made this huge spec-beast and it still lags. None of the iPads I’ve ever owned (by Friday I will have owned all 5 at some point; actually 6 if you count the iPad mini 1) had a lag issue. And the best PDF annotation app on the Google Play Store gets blown out by even a mid-level one on the App Store (iAnnotate, Notability; GoodNotes is the best one).

Ugh.

Come on, Android. Get your act together!! You’re great on phones but suck at tablets!

Why-cat.jpg

Upvote 0
I did root and freeze a bunch of unnecessary apps with Titanium Pro. No dice.

The S-Pen almost made it worth it. But during meetings all weekend it kept lagging and freezing, while everyone else was happily gliding along on their maxiPads.

Oh well.

Wow. With three gbs ram? Sigh. You're not running a million apps in memory are you?

Upvote 0
Wow. With three gbs ram? Sigh. You're not running a million apps in memory are you?

Nope. I even did a factory reset and it was fine for a couple of days but then started slowing down again. And that was after installing 2 apps: ezPDF Reader Pro, and LectureNotes. Ridiculous.

I know that there is a lot of skepticism about Apple "reviewers" who just gush over anything Apple and behave like little sheep.

But now I'm starting to think that Apple is just better, at least in the tablet world.

Upvote 0
Good morning all - happy hump day!

It looks like we might be seeing KK news today. So for those who don't know, when Google started doing these staged rollouts, the date on the "app updated" changes in the Play Store even if the app update isn't available to you yet. Someone on Reddit found that 16 core Google apps show an updated date of October 29th, so hoping this is in preparation for an update.

Also Hangouts date changed to the 29th so hopefully someone can grab that APK today.

YAY for news & speculation.

Upvote 0
My Nexus tablet is fantastic. Both of them actually, the 2012 and 2013. No lag at all. I've heard great things about the Nexus 10 as well... Just saying.

My N7 lags like crazy. Thought it was the ROMs I ran but I flashed back to stock and it's gotten worse with time. I hardly use it now. Won't hold a charge long either. Dissappointing to hear about the Note :( I agree with Han on the lack of lag on iProducts... it's virtually non-existant after over a year on my wife's iPad. Not sure how they accomplish it but Google needs to take note. Less RAM and still virtually no lag.

Upvote 0
My N7 lags like crazy. Thought it was the ROMs I ran but I flashed back to stock and it's gotten worse with time. I hardly use it now. Won't hold a charge long either. Dissappointing to hear about the Note :( I agree with Han on the lack of lag on iProducts... it's virtually non-existant after over a year on my wife's iPad. Not sure how they accomplish it but Google needs to take note. Less RAM and still virtually no lag.

Weird. Sorry to hear that. I have to imagine it's a hardware thing. Perhaps it's the price we pay for a cheaper product. I guess I'm just lucky with mine.

Upvote 0
Weird. Sorry to hear that. I have to imagine it's a hardware thing. Perhaps it's the price we pay for a cheaper product. I guess I'm just lucky with mine.

It is, many devices running a Tegra 3 chipset has the same problem. Something about it, combined with the cheap SSD they used creates the horrible lag. It's even worse on the TF700. Unless the S4 Pro set has the same issue, it shouldn't start slowing down overtime due to the hardware that quickly.

Upvote 0
You're probably right about that jhawk...cheap RAM and SSD storage will bog a system down pretty quick...could be they used a cheap/low quality memory and storage supplier for the N7 and the quality varies greatly from one to the next. I do know mine and my wife's Moto X are still as blazing fast as they were they day we bought them.

However, I have noticed something very annoying on my X and doesn't seem to happen on my wife's. About once a week, the phone will completely stop recognizing the SIM card and the only fix is a reboot. Starting to suspect a hardware malfunction and I may call up Moto and see if they can exchange it for me.

Upvote 0

I hear it's also a dalvik issue. For some reason, it's a bottleneck on Android devices, and it's why ROM'ers are always told to wipe it when flashing anything new. I guess iProducts don't have the same problem.

I don't know. I hate to lose all of the customization of Android on my tablet, but for what I need, iPad just does the job 100 times better.

I can't be sitting in a meeting trying to annotate a PDF based on the points being brought up around me, and have it freeze and lag. It's just not acceptable.

The only bad thing is that now I have to deal with all the "I told you so"'s from my wife and friends.

Upvote 0
However, I have noticed something very annoying on my X and doesn't seem to happen on my wife's. About once a week, the phone will completely stop recognizing the SIM card and the only fix is a reboot. Starting to suspect a hardware malfunction and I may call up Moto and see if they can exchange it for me.

My DNA has the exact same issue. Although numerous updates and new sim card seems to have relieved me from the majority of the occurrences.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones