• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Good morning!

I got a new lotion for Christmas and am loving it.
IMG_20111229_081531.jpg

I not only look sweet and innocent :p but I smell sweet and tasty too. ;)

Is there a blushing smiley? Oh wait, here it is ----> :eek: (sorry, it doesn't take much to make me blush... a fact that all my female friends love to take advantage of).

Anyway, good morning fellow Nexlings! I had quite a frustrating time last night with my Nexus, in respect of trying to move files to it via the USB cable. All of the research I did online seems that this problem is hit-or-miss. It did seem that the vast majority of people who had the problem were using Windows 7 64-bit like myself. However, my laptop at work is XP Pro 32-bit and I had the same problems (slow or nonexistant file transfer speeds). The "fix" that worked for me was to plug in the phone and not navigate to the folder I needed to drop the files in. I hovered over the folder (but didn't allow Windows to read/cache the contents by opening it) and then chose Paste. That worked for me. I was using the Samsung cable and I had downloaded the drivers so not sure why my computer had such a hard time with MTP.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Is there a blushing smiley? Oh wait, here it is ----> :eek: (sorry, it doesn't take much to make me blush... a fact that all my female friends love to take advantage of).

Anyway, good morning fellow Nexlings! I had quite a frustrating time last night with my Nexus, in respect of trying to move files to it via the USB cable. All of the research I did online seems that this problem is hit-or-miss. It did seem that the vast majority of people who had the problem were using Windows 7 64-bit like myself. However, my laptop at work is XP Pro 32-bit and I had the same problems (slow or nonexistant file transfer speeds). The "fix" that worked for me was to plug in the phone and not navigate to the folder I needed to drop the files in. I hovered over the folder (but didn't allow Windows to read/cache the contents by opening it) and then chose Paste. That worked for me. I was using the Samsung cable and I had downloaded the drivers so not sure why my computer had such a hard time with MTP.

Sorry to make you blush. (Well, sorta sorry. It is a little fun when I can make a man blush)
As far as transferring files, I didn't have any problem. I connected the phone and was able to open the folders and move and copy files without a hitch. *knock on wood*
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit as well. I didn't install any drivers though. Literally just plugged in USB cables.

Upvote 0
Good morning everyone! Egg whites and cheese on a roll w/ some hot chocolate to start off the morning.

BTW my Nexus has no problems copying files to/from my PC. No drivers needed, Windows just recognizes it as the Galaxy Nexus and I browse as if it were USB Mass Storage.

Not sure why people are having problems -- such a shame since Mass Storage worked so well, but that debate is for the regular SGN forum. ;)

Upvote 0
You might be able to use desktop vizualizer.

Hi, Well I take back my comment. Although the Google Voice Search was working great while I was playing with it, this morning I actually started using it to send Txt and it's annoying. Although I am enunciating each word and am giving it time to type, it's right now working at 50%.

Google says if I select the option that the voice will train, that they will save my voice messages. Isn't that sick!

I need to look into what desktop vizualizer

Upvote 0
Hi, Well I take back my comment. Although the Google Voice Search was working great while I was playing with it, this morning I actually started using it to send Txt and it's annoying. Although I am enunciating each word and am giving it time to type, it's right now working at 50%.

Google says if I select the option that the voice will train, that they will save my voice messages. Isn't that sick!

I need to look into what desktop vizualizer

Desktop Visualizer let's you take a picture of your choosing and make it the icon for a program. Its basically a shortcut widget.

Upvote 0
Sorry to make you blush. (Well, sorta sorry. It is a little fun when I can make a man blush)
As far as transferring files, I didn't have any problem. I connected the phone and was able to open the folders and move and copy files without a hitch. *knock on wood*
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit as well. I didn't install any drivers though. Literally just plugged in USB cables.

It's okay. Like I said, it doesn't take much at all! Most of my female friends go out of their way to poke fun at me and make me blush. Part of the fun I guess!

Anyway, yes, that's what I have always done... just plug the phone into the computer and there it is. That's what I did this time, and the phone showed up no problem but the transfer speeds were nonexistant. I tried two computers (my XP Pro work laptop and my Win 7 Pro 64-bit personal machine) and two different USB cables (an old one from who-knows-what and the one that came with Precious). The results were the same. The only way I was able to get the files copied was to drop them into the destination folder on Precious without actually opening the destination folder first.

My wife has a 1-year old laptop and I need to try it on her machine to see if there's a difference. My desktop is admittedly quite old so that might have something to do with it?

Upvote 0
I just spent 30 minutes recreating a spreadsheet that a customer sent me. Why did I do this? Cause they locked it. Normally I wouldn't care but they want answers to questions and didn't supply a place to type those answers, nor would they unlock the spreadsheet. I am not attaching 5 or 6 additional pages either. So I copied it and formatted it just like they did.

I love proving that I can, and will, circumvent stupidity. :D

Upvote 0
It's okay. Like I said, it doesn't take much at all! Most of my female friends go out of their way to poke fun at me and make me blush. Part of the fun I guess!

Anyway, yes, that's what I have always done... just plug the phone into the computer and there it is. That's what I did this time, and the phone showed up no problem but the transfer speeds were nonexistant. I tried two computers (my XP Pro work laptop and my Win 7 Pro 64-bit personal machine) and two different USB cables (an old one from who-knows-what and the one that came with Precious). The results were the same. The only way I was able to get the files copied was to drop them into the destination folder on Precious without actually opening the destination folder first.

My wife has a 1-year old laptop and I need to try it on her machine to see if there's a difference. My desktop is admittedly quite old so that might have something to do with it?

That's very odd. I don't understand why some of us are ok and others are having trouble. :eek:

Upvote 0
I am amazed at the Google Voice Search accuracy. It's picking up nearly at 100%. However, on the other hand, the "Voice Dialer" app simply stinks.

Back to Google Voice Search, is there a way to have an icon of just the "mic" to put on my home screen? Right now they have it as part of the larger google search field on top and in order to activate it, you need to tap on the mic icon quite precisely. It's a bit annoying. A dedicated app would be easier to activate.

Thanks!

The stock google search bar at the top of screen? That has that mic button ;)

Upvote 0
Yum is that lotion edible BB's :p

Sherlock "part deux" was incredible I loved it! Better than the first I'm a sucker for eye candy and the story was just as engaging. Gah how is it so beautiful here all the time lately, going to be 60F today! Scares me this late in December, we'll get blasted in late Jan early Feb :cool:

Unfortunately not. *makes mental note to Google cupcake scented/flavored lotion*

Glad to hear you enjoyed the movie!

I'm quite jealous of your 60° today.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Good morning Nexlings!

I personally love the MTP transfer. Now I can copy pictures and movies to my phone and view them without having to unplug and wait for my phone to read the new info.

File transfers are sometimes slow, but when that happens I unplug and plug back in, and the second try is always quick.

Upvote 0
Good morning Nexlings!

I personally love the MTP transfer. Now I can copy pictures and movies to my phone and view them without having to unplug and wait for my phone to read the new info.

File transfers are sometimes slow, but when that happens I unplug and plug back in, and the second try is always quick.

Yeah it's weird how some people aren't having a problem, and some are. Mine came up fine in Windows 7 but just wouldn't copy the files. It is nice, however, to not have to wait for the SD card to be remounted/read when the copy is complete.

Here's a question... after I copied the pictures/videos from my old phone, they all showed up in the Gallery no problem. However, there's no rhyme or reason to them. I'm used to them showing up in date order, but when I select "Time" to view them, it seemed to organize things at random. Is there any way to logically arrange the pictures and videos? Or is there a recommended app that will do a better job than the Gallery? Thank you as always!

Upvote 0
CyanogenMod Compiler project allows Android tweakers to easily make custom blends -- Engadget

Ever wish that building your own personal ROM was as simple as placing an order at Starbucks? Well, an intrepid coder known as lithid-cm has taken that vision one step closer with the CyanogenMod Compiler (CMC), a command line utility that allows armchair mixers to remove unwanted features and then compile their own special blend of CyanogenMod. While CMC's functionality is currently rather limited -- which allows users to eliminate languages, wallpapers and tweak themes -- the developer will introduce new installation / removal features and additional plug-in support in future releases. The software is early alpha stage, which means its creator needs the help of others to identify and resolve the rough edges. So, if you aren't afraid to get your hands a bit dirty, CMC seems quite worthwhile. Just don't blame us when you break something.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's weird how some people aren't having a problem, and some are. Mine came up fine in Windows 7 but just wouldn't copy the files. It is nice, however, to not have to wait for the SD card to be remounted/read when the copy is complete.

Here's a question... after I copied the pictures/videos from my old phone, they all showed up in the Gallery no problem. However, there's no rhyme or reason to them. I'm used to them showing up in date order, but when I select "Time" to view them, it seemed to organize things at random. Is there any way to logically arrange the pictures and videos? Or is there a recommended app that will do a better job than the Gallery? Thank you as always!

Have you tried quickpic?

Used it for a long time on my Inc it is fast! I happen to like ICS stock gallery and have had no issues organizing. Did have the initial issue of picasa sync'ing google+ pics, but solved that.

Reactions: Lucky Armpit
Upvote 0
Good Morning Gnexers! :D

Well, it's a good day for me: all 6 Star Wars movies are now on my Nexus and I'm ready to geek out at will! AND 4G is back up! WHOOT

Here's a question... after I copied the pictures/videos from my old phone, they all showed up in the Gallery no problem. However, there's no rhyme or reason to them. I'm used to them showing up in date order, but when I select "Time" to view them, it seemed to organize things at random.

If I may speculate for a moment, it's possible that Nexus is showing them in the order they were added to the Gallery, and not by the meta-tags in the photo files themselves as far as when they were TAKEN. Since they were all presumably added at the same time, Nexus is showing them all as having been added simultaneously. That may be why your Gallery is showing them all at random.

Not sure how you would go about sorting by date taken, rather than by date added. But it would be nice to know! :)

Upvote 0
Morning everyone!
Good morning everyone! Egg whites and cheese on a roll w/ some hot chocolate to start off the morning.
Nice, sounds good! I'm a firm believer that bacon or sausage is needed in most breakfast sandwiches though.

Desktop Visualizer let's you take a picture of your choosing and make it the icon for a program. Its basically a shortcut widget.
Hmm, is that all it does? I downloaded it the other day, but haven't tried it out yet. Does it have any other functions?

Well, it's a good day for me: all 6 Star Wars movies are now on my Nexus and I'm ready to geek out at will!
Nice! How did you do it? Did you rip the DVDs with DVD Catalyst?

Upvote 0
I am one of the ones who have had nothing but problems with transferring files to my Gnex. It is terribly slow, no matter what cable/computer I use. I may try the suggestion to just drop them on the folder I want them in, instead of opening the folder, but I am not optimistic - since nothing else has worked.
Have you tried AirDroid? Someone mentioned it in the forums and I love not having to physically connect a cable between phone and computer.

Upvote 0
Morning everyone!

Nice, sounds good! I'm a firm believer that bacon or sausage is needed in most breakfast sandwiches though.

Hmm, is that all it does? I downloaded it the other day, but haven't tried it out yet. Does it have any other functions?

Morning. I agree with breakfast sandwiches needing meat. Mmmm.
Yes, desktop visualizer is basically just for being able to put your icons on shortcuts. It was great for the Dinc. Now you can basically do the same thing on the Nexus with Nova Launcher. But for people running stock launcher its great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones