• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Looks nice but the only potential issue I have is the power cord. If you mount the phone in it horizontally - which I would - there doesn't appear to be a hole in either side for the cord to plug in. I'm just judging by the left side, which seems to be solid plastic... but something tells me the right side is just like it :thinking:

Upvote 0
Looks nice but the only potential issue I have is the power cord. If you mount the phone in it horizontally - which I would - there doesn't appear to be a hole in either side for the cord to plug in. I'm just judging by the left side, which seems to be solid plastic... but something tells me the right side is just like it :thinking:

Not positive since I don't have it yet, but it appears you can mount it either on the top/bottom or sides. Obviously both would pose issues with either accessing ports or power/vol controls. Hopefully there's some potential hacking to be done to benefit from both.

Upvote 0
Not positive since I don't have it yet, but it appears you can mount it either on the top/bottom or sides. Obviously both would pose issues with either accessing ports or power/vol controls. Hopefully there's some potential hacking to be done to benefit from both.

It looks like the device rest (which is removable) has a hole that the power cord would go through.

Upvote 0
It looks like the device rest (which is removable) has a hole that the power cord would go through.

Hmmm, yeah should be interesting to see as the Bionic and Nexus have very different locations for ports and buttons. Even if it's not perfect (and obviously I still want to see one that charges via the three dots), the price is great.

Upvote 0

No, you simply rotate the mount, so the sides that squeeze in, are then above/below the phone. That still leaves the bottom of the phone open - just have to do as I said earlier (I found it is easier to slide the power cord through, insert it in the phone, then dock the phone.) The mount part is attached via a ball joint, so you can pivot it, although not to an extreme amount.

Without question, this is the best dock I've seen. I love it! (especially since I don't like taking the case on/off of my phone.)

Upvote 0
No, you simply rotate the mount, so the sides that squeeze in, are then above/below the phone. That still leaves the bottom of the phone open - just has to do as I said earlier (I found it is easier to slide the power cord through, insert it in the phone, then dock the phone.) The mount part is attached via a ball joint, so you can pivot it, although not to an extreme amount.

Without question, this is the best dock I've seen. I love it! (especially since I don't like taking the case on/off of my phone.)

Great to hear! Really excited to see it in action.

Upvote 0
Ordered the car mount NCTurner posted. A couple reviews mention the Nexus and Fit so hopefully it works out well. Question to NCT, does it rotate to landscape? The only photos and info I've seen have all been in portrait.
Thanks again, btw.

Edit: always poor reading skills. Looks like it rotates to any degree. Can't wait to use it!

Let me know how this does for you I want a car dock badly

Upvote 0
Does anyone use some sort of collaborative solution for sharing documents? Specifically a simple Excel spreadsheet that can be shared/modified by 2 people without emailing back and forth? I dont know that it's absolutely necessary it stay in Excel so I started to look at Google Docs but also noticed they have Google Cloud Connect that looks like a plug-in to Office and am wondering if that would be better. Any advice on which way to research is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Does anyone use some sort of collaborative solution for sharing documents? Specifically a simple Excel spreadsheet that can be shared/modified by 2 people without emailing back and forth? I dont know that it's absolutely necessary it stay in Excel so I started to look at Google Docs but also noticed they have Google Cloud Connect that looks like a plug-in to Office and am wondering if that would be better. Any advice on which way to research is appreciated.

I use Google docs with people from work. Its a little different than excel but not by much. I like that its accessible from anywhere I have data or wifi. The only issue is remembering another password for another email account. :p

Upvote 0

Boxnet has worked pretty well for me with multiple reviewers and collaborators. I would get you details but I'm not at my desk right now. Will try later.

Upvote 0

Google docs or share it in drop box (I'm pretty sure you can share whole folders across accounts). I've been using Google docs almost exclusively for the past 1-2 yrs. It doesn't play nice, for me, with large data sets though...

Reactions: clipperqb
Upvote 0
Are you talking about bring edited in real time?

I dont think there will be any need in real time shared editing. Just the ability to work on the file in one place, if that makes sense. The existing spreadsheet that is being used has multiple worksheets, that has formulas and references between worksheets. Also the 2 users each use a Office for Mac 2010. I was just looking at Livedrive via the web and that looks possible(?)

Upvote 0
I dont think there will be any need in real time shared editing. Just the ability to work on the file in one place, if that makes sense. The existing spreadsheet that is being used has multiple worksheets, that has formulas and references between worksheets. Also the 2 users each use a Office for Mac 2010. I was just looking at Livedrive via the web and that looks possible(?)

Dropbox sounds like it might be best to have shared folders. Then you can keep all the stuff you have now and not worry about importing and any issues that might arise.

Reactions: clipperqb
Upvote 0
I know I'll get scolded by Jbdan for another dumb question, but can someone give me the steps to get to the face changing (funny faces/college setting, whatever it's called) in the camera? I was trying to show it off a couple weeks ago and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.

He's not allowed to scold you. Its not a dumb question unless its not asked.
:D

Upvote 0
I know I'll get scolded by Jbdan for another dumb question, but can someone give me the steps to get to the face changing (funny faces/college setting, whatever it's called) in the camera? I was trying to show it off a couple weeks ago and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.

It's only in the video camera, not with stills. Switch to video camera and you'll find it under the various settings there.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones