• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

So I was browsing my usual forums when I came across the article about Google, Facebook and Twitter among others blacking out for a certain period of time to show what the internet would be like if SOPA passed. Well as I was scrolling around the page, I look to the side and the #2 "most popular" tech article was this...I was INFURIATED
iwpt0m.png
But hey, at least they gave credit where credit was due...
Actually, Apple applied for the face unlock patent in June 2010, well before Google, but they hadn't decided to implement it until now.
Hey everyone. I have a pretty old laptop that I was considering to give Linux a try. Any suggestions on a version for a Linux noob and also a place to learn about it on the web?

Also, looking to build a nas and thought maybe unraid. Same sort of questions. What do you think and any good resources?
Hey, did that RSS stuff I sent help you out at all? :)

Upvote 0
So I think I've waited as long as I can on a stock ROM. It's time to ROM! It seems the popular ones are Codename and AOKP? Who is running what? I read a little about both and really like the option on AOKP to disable data while screen is off and change sync intervals. That is perfect for me while I'm at work. I could get by without Juice Defender with those 2 options.

Upvote 0
Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
Have you read through this thread? I was having the exact same problem early on. I replaced the phone and when that didn't work, I had my Nexus boxed up and ready to exchange for a Rezound.

Instead, based on that thread, I tried swapping out my SIM card and it seems to have fixed my problems -- enough that I plan to keep the Nexus past the Friday return deadline. Per the thread, the SIM swap is hit or miss for others so I have no way of knowing what the end all solution is, but I figure that should it recur in the future, that has got to be something that falls under the 1-year warranty.

I do NOT think custom ROMs will address this issue.

Thanks, i have read that thread and many others. I did one switch of the SIM card with no luck. However, I live in a small town and they have very little stock and all SIMS are the same and from the same batch. I am thinking about calling verizon and seeing if they will send me one as it would likely be from a different batch than the ones here. The reason I thought there might be something that could be applied is the other forums mentioned other phones that have had this problem and were fixed by a software patch.

Upvote 0
So I think I've waited as long as I can on a stock ROM. It's time to ROM! It seems the popular ones are Codename and AOKP? Who is running what? I read a little about both and really like the option on AOKP to disable data while screen is off and change sync intervals. That is perfect for me while I'm at work. I could get by without Juice Defender with those 2 options.

AOKP is great. lots of the mods out there have been baked right in. i'm running imoseyon's leankernel and doin real good.

i've got the latest build of AOKP and i think the powersaver functionality is still in testing. from what i've been seeing it's been making progress, but when i just tried to enable it i received the warning of impending death if i wanted to proceed without first having a nandroid to restore if problems occur. i've got plenty to go back to, but i think i'll spare myself the hassle.

i agree, it'll be of much use to me at work.

Upvote 0
What is UOT Kitchen?

UOT Kitchen is where one can cook up goodies (mods) and customize your phones UI. It's fun!

I used Tasker a little bit on my OG Droid. It's definitely worth the price, so powerful. However, unless you're a pretty good computer geek, it can have a steep learning curve. There have been long threads in the Android Lounge about it. IIRC, user UncleJimbo was a huge help for folks trying to set up certain profiles.
The one I set up that I liked a bunch was when I walked by Whole Foods on my way home (I went almost nightly), it was set up to text my wife if she needed anything at the store. Pretty neat.

I've heard of the steep learning curve definitely not for everyone, I am geek though :p I'll consider tasker and price is no concern. Might PM you at some point about it okay :)

morming everyone how is all today ?

Morning sir blkbelt!

Speaking of sound - what do I need to be able to use Pandora or Sirius in the car? There is an aux port but I don't know what kind of cord. :eek:

Monoprice is my fave! $1.60

But its SCARY out there!!!!!

lol!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones