• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Mine does it too as I'm not going to sit and watch my phone charge exactly to 100% lol

However, when I'm on my PC and the phone is charging right next to me I get the chance to see it charge to 100% then 10 minutes later look at it and it's at 98% still on the charger :thinking:. I've caught it at 100% a few times (trying and not) and then I don't get that initial quick drop like you're saying.

Not a big deal at all I agree was just pointing out what you're probably experiencing.

I've read somewhere that the GNex stops charging when it reaches 100% and discharges to ~97-98% and then again charges backup to to 100% and repeats. This is why you see so many "My phone only chargers to 98%" threads around:D. I believe this is better for the long term life of the battery.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've read somewhere that the GNex stops charging when it reaches 100% and discharges to ~97-98% and then again charges backup to to 100% and repeats. This is why you see so many "My phone only chargers to 98%" threads around:D. I believe this is better for the long term life of the battery.

True for all lithium-ion devices, phones or laptops, etc. It only varies by the low set point, depending on the device, that may be from 92 to 97%.

It's not that it simply discharges - the phone _always_ runs off of the battery, and li-ion batteries don't trickle charge or they'd catch fire.

So, when it hits 100%, the charging stops, it runs off battery.

When you disconnect from the charger, it will usually say 99~100%, but it takes a few minutes for reality to set in and show the true charge.

If you take it off the charger the instant it says 100%, it will be at that.

Misunderstanding this li-ion battery safety design is what leads to endless irrational battery tweaks on phones and unnecessary battery replacement on laptops.

Upvote 0
I'm with you. I am patiently waiting to see what the final OTA (.3? .4? .5?) will do to address this issue. If it doesn't make a difference, I think I will raise holy hell at a VZW store to replace this phone with something that actually works as a phone (awesome screen, bloatware-free, vanilla UI and ICS be damned!)

I should have kept my mouth shut. My phone has been behaving for the most part these past few days but it dropped the audio less than a minute into a conversation today at lunch. Just a few minutes after my post. Grrr....

Upvote 0
Well, I took the phone to verizon and its being replaced under warranty. The guy scratched his head, said never seen anything like it, as if the radios where not there. I told him several times it has taken a couple spills. I was all set to file a claim but he told me it did not look physically damaged so he would do a warranty.

Okay then :)

While I was there I also mentioned that I heard something about those (me) users who still have unlimited data could get unlimited wireless tethering for like 30 bucks more a month. He looked into it and sure enough :D

Unlimited 4G data + unlimited legit tethering = :D :D :D

Upvote 0
Well, I took the phone to verizon and its being replaced under warranty. The guy scratched his head, said never seen anything like it, as if the radios where not there. I told him several times it has taken a couple spills. I was all set to file a claim but he told me it did not look physically damaged so he would do a warranty.

Okay then :)

While I was there I also mentioned that I heard something about those (me) users who still have unlimited data could get unlimited wireless tethering for like 30 bucks more a month. He looked into it and sure enough :D

Unlimited 4G data + unlimited legit tethering = :D :D :D

paying for unlimited tethering on top of your unlimited data = Verizon sucking your wallet dry faster
(could have said something else but this is a family site keeping it G rated)

Upvote 0
Hey, anyone else noticing that the Chrome Beta browser sucks up battery faster than the stock browser? I usually have about 25-30% when I get home from work, but today I only had 10%, with about the same amount of web browsing.

Also, it was the weirdest thing - I kept opening and refreshing this thread with the Chrome browser, and for some reason it wouldn't load any posts past dreadnatty's 4:51 AM post on the previous page, as if that was the newest post. Very strange.

Upvote 0
Hey, anyone else noticing that the Chrome Beta browser sucks up battery faster than the stock browser? I usually have about 25-30% when I get home from work, but today I only had 10%, with about the same amount of web browsing.

Also, it was the weirdest thing - I kept opening and refreshing this thread with the Chrome browser, and for some reason it wouldn't load any posts past dreadnatty's 4:51 AM post on the previous page, as if that was the newest post. Very strange.

I like the stock browser better personally. Maybe once out of beta it will freshen up!

Upvote 0
Trying wugs tools instead of trying on the mac. I don't think its working. I may have to send this thing in unlocked and rooted because its been "Writing 'radio-cdma' for about 10 minutes now

The nexus reads on the very bottom, fast boot status: flash radio cdma the up down buttons do nothing. No driver messages or anything.

EDIT:

Phone crashed and trying again. Looks like it crashed once more.

Got it locked but still rooted!? LOL.

Time to put it up for the night. Probably those pesky windows drivers issues. Is there a batch restore file for the mac? This driver junk is what is driving me away from the PC. And Unlocking. And Rooting. :(

If this keeps up I am just going to send the thing back as is after I use CWM to clear my user data. And expect a 700$ bill for the refurbished device they are going to send me :(

I may just keep my next Gnex locked and unrooted :(

:(

PS

Yeah. Im sad :(

Upvote 0

I stopped using it after it wouldn't rotate 180

Upvote 0
Trying wugs tools instead of trying on the mac. I don't think its working. I may have to send this thing in unlocked and rooted because its been "Writing 'radio-cdma' for about 10 minutes now

The nexus reads on the very bottom, fast boot status: flash radio cdma the up down buttons do nothing. No driver messages or anything.

EDIT:

Phone crashed and trying again. Looks like it crashed once more.

Got it locked but still rooted!? LOL.

Time to put it up for the night. Probably those pesky windows drivers issues. Is there a batch restore file for the mac? This driver junk is what is driving me away from the PC. And Unlocking. And Rooting. :(

If this keeps up I am just going to send the thing back as is after I use CWM to clear my user data. And expect a 700$ bill for the refurbished device they are going to send me :(

I may just keep my next Gnex locked and unrooted :(

PS

Yeah. Im sad :(

Lol I've returned multiple rooted devices, one even still running a Custom ROM and have never been charged. I wouldn't worry too much.

Reactions: ajdroidx
Upvote 0
After having the Nexus for two months now I finally found something to complain about.
My son in law text me, asking me for my mailing address.
When I replied, I entered my street address and went to go do a return (new line) on the key board to enter the city under street address.
But there is no return on the key board!!!

I am not much of a texer, I only texted about 8 times since I had the Nexus. LOL..

So what gives, that is about stupid not having a return key.

Reactions: zerocool79346
Upvote 0
After having the Nexus for two months now I finally found something to complain about.
When I replied, I entered my street address and went to go do a return (new line) on the key board to enter the city under street address.

I am not much of a texer, I only texted about 8 times since I had the Nexus. LOL..

Hate this as well, I don't have much need for it generally but it'd be nice sometimes.

In other news I'm on track for 4.5-5 hours of screen on time using Trinity 512rd on Gummy0.7.0. Best battery I've ever seen on my phone.

Reactions: vandyman
Upvote 0

I have one. Its the arrow at the bottom right.

See. I used it there to enter lines. :D
6c23d496-53af-1fa6.jpg

Reactions: chiph411 and jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones