• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Nope, I just got my new badge. Congrats BB!!! I may be a little quiet for a bit. My understanding is I have some homework to do.:D Thanks to everyone on AF just for the opportunity I have to help people here.

I have the homework too. Have to do it at home after dinner though.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Hey guys and gals, I haven't popped in here in a while.

Thought I'd share some pics of my new cases for my Nexus with you.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

Congrats on the promotions all.

Upvote 0
Hey all. Having a bit of a flip-flopping issue here.

PC talk (long)
Part of me wants to ditch my currant PC and pretty much switch to Apple.
My desktop box is a windows 7 32 bit (I know, I know!) i7 2.8ghz cpu, quad core. I have a gigabyte p55-ud3r board in it, a geforce 8800 gts 4 gigs of ram, several TBs of hard drive space, like more then 5! I did pull a single 2tb drive out which will serve as a new external for my MBP)

A recent failed update has caused me a headache. I attempted to install a SSD for my operating system. I also added another 4gigs of ram and when I plugged everything in, pressed power and the thing did not even post. It beeped at me. Tried over a half dozen times making sure everything was set, plugged in and so on. I removed the ram and the thing booted right up. Got windows 7 64bit installed into the SSD. Right on! The speeds where nice even on a 3gbps sata 2 connection but the problems came on windows update. My PC went into a loop where it would download updates, I would shut down, the update would install and on boot up initialize. Then fail.

A couple days of this I got fed up and yanked the drive. I got two sticks of bad ram (it happens) and a fairly expensive solid state drive sitting in a drawer with windows 7 64 bit on it.

I have come to the conclusion either there was a setting I needed to select in either the bios or windows or something or my motherboard did not support the drive even though crucial said the drive would work. Or the drive is screwed. I hope not since its too late to send it back. The package it came in was a bit crushed.

Now, I do plan on trying the drive out in either my sisters laptop or putting it into my macbook pro..

Anyway, back to my desktop.

The driver issues I have been having, the recent update issues, windows it self, I am seriously thinking about switching over too mac. I really dig my MBP, I really wished I had the money for the 15" but this was an experimental purchase but it has kind of put me in a bind in looking for my next PC.

Now the specs of my MBP is 13" base model. 4gig ram, intel HD 3000 graphics (shared) 2.4 ghz dual core i5 CPU. Decent. Now, looking at a desktop replacement, the iMacs look decent, all in one, but I DON'T like how everything is plugged in the back of the monitor, kind of defeats the clean look of the machine. Also I have heard reports of yellow splotches along with the iMacs are hard to upgrade in the hard drive replacement. Also of something goes out, well that means the whole computer has to go in for repair instead of pulling the part out and swapping out. The iMacs feature a quad core CPU, though the cheaper smaller ones have quad core i5 cpus which is okay. Not like I am going to be cutting and editing much HD video, though I will probably do a little bit.

I have also thought about the Mac mini, which are pretty much non portable macbook pros almost identical specs but I was going to up the ante a little bit and get the dedicated GPU. But I do have a nice monitor, a wireless keyboard and mouse. The ram and hard drives can be gotten to, though the 2nd hard drive bay needs a special cable from ifixit and some work to get to, but its doable. The issue with this is, I can close the lid on my MBP and with external keyboards and trackpad, I can hook this up to my TV / monitor. But Since I have to buy a cable and possibly another keyboard and trackpad... well you get the idea. The best thing is, its seriously portable. Two wires. One to my monitor and one to wall for power. Pretty much the same with the iMac

Back to the PC / windows side of things.
I am sure my CPU is still good, along with my ram, PSU, video card (though it probably would not hurt to update that thing. The Nvidia drivers are causing some issues and have been for quite a while. And probably need a new case since mine is falling apart.

Perhaps a new motherboard, better ram and video card would make a decent update. Perhaps I could slide a new CPU in at a later time.

Then again, often times the thoughts of getting inside the case with the jumbled mess of wires and stuff just does not sound fun. Its also bulky, power hungry and heats up pretty good.

I do like to play games here in there, mostly the sims. Photo editing and used to photoshop CS3. Video cutting and editing has been soured by crappy software on windows. I would love to edit video if I can get the footage. Getting said footage has been hard but it really sucks when I do get something good and my PC causes me a headache trying to find something I can use to put a movie together. Maybe it is time for a change.

The bottom line if I go mac:
Hacking android could be a problem, but I can always run windows in a VM or dual boot. So that a moot point. I can't tinker with insides, but often times I don't like screwing around inside the tower so I guess that is a moot point. Some of my currant software is windows only, but read first point. Moot. Cost, but my MBP has a SOLID build. Seriously. Its nice.

I would likely miss tinkering inside of the tower of a PC after a while, but I guess after a break from windows I could get back into it.

Sorry, all. Not sure what the point of this post was other then to think out loud and perhaps get a little feedback along the way, or perhaps just to spill out my thoughts to help myself come to a conclusion. I am about 60% toward getting an iMac right now, about 80% from just getting away from windows (at least for now).

Hope no one minds me thinking this out loud. I know I probably should have posted this in the PC area, so I hope you don't mind I stuck it here since I was doing some random thinking out loud :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So now my dilemma, I just got my Logitech Harmony 700 remote (I hate having to use three remotes to run my stuff), turned green (I have a lot of homework), and I like helping folks in the forum. So what do I do first. Here are my thoughts.

1. Remote - I'll tackle this one first as its for the family and they will always come first.:)
  2. Homework - I'm an insomniac, so I can take care of this over the next day or so (unless it is more than I know, I just got home, so I haven't had a chance to look yet);)
  3. Posts - I may cut back on my social posts (only until I am caught up:rolleyes:), I'll act blue / gold with anything new that I am helpful with and will definitely stay on top of the 400+ threads I am subscribed to.

I'll be around, just may be quiet for a few days. And thanks for all the congrats. I know BB and I have been waiting to let you guys know.

Upvote 0
Well, well, well, well, well, well - well. :)

Congratulations to our new Guides - remember, this was part of our cunning plan all along! :)

Oh, and the uh-oh was that I am on the trail of a phone booth. That one was just under 4 feet tall, so I'll fit in easily.

And yes, I own a suit of armor (pretty cool), but it stands over 6 feet tall. I'll post pictures someday? Or not.

OK, good - you're still reading. Our new Guides are not only a tribute to their camaraderie, but to yours as well. Your ongoing support for Android and our site simply means that more help behind the scenes is required, and staff selection of your fellow Nexicans is a credit to what a great bunch you all are to work with.

So - cheers! :)

Upvote 0
Pup, please make sure you take care of fam first! The rest of us, users, guides, Mods are here to help folks out. One thing I had to learn once I was promoted to chef was to rely on folks to take care of things. We can't be everywhere 24/7, other people will take care of it.
No idea on the remote front. I went to a family reunion with my (now) wife a couple years ago in a huge rented house in Charleston. They had this massive TV system, surround sound and all with this fancy remote. No one knew how to work it (and trust me, being the techie, I tried as much as possible). I imagine you have your work cut out for you.

Upvote 0
Well, well, well, well, well, well - well. :)

Congratulations to our new Guides - remember, this was part of our cunning plan all along! :)

Oh, and the uh-oh was that I am on the trail of a phone booth. That one was just under 4 feet tall, so I'll fit in easily.

And yes, I own a suit of armor (pretty cool), but it stands over 6 feet tall. I'll post pictures someday? Or not.

OK, good - you're still reading. Our new Guides are not only a tribute to their camaraderie, but to yours as well. Your ongoing support for Android and our site simply means that more help behind the scenes is required, and staff selection of your fellow Nexicans is a credit to what a great bunch you all are to work with.

So - cheers! :)

Thanks! And yes, pics please!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Wow, that is pretty cool!

It's made out of stove pipe, but you have to have that pointed out. :)

EDIT - Here's a quick snap from my phone, gives the idea.

6939693687_0678a23739.jpg

Made 100% from stovepipe, by Mexican artists. I think they did an ace job. If I get the chance, I'll provide a full shot at some point. As my wife is a fine artist, you'd be surprised at the stuff we have standing and laying about. :) :D

Where, who?!? :eek:

iowabowtech :)

Upvote 0
Decided to go Orange (should take place soon), but used revenue from my Android app to do so. Figure its sorta like giving back to the community here.

Drinking a Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks, writing Android code and listening to music until the lady comes home for dinner -- so relaxing.

Just wanted to share a quick "nerd" story to before I went back to writing code. So the other day I was reading stuff on Tasker and someone pointed me in the direction of an app that sends WOL (wake on LAN) packets to a computer when you connect to a specific Wifi network so this was perfect. I put my PC to sleep when I leave for work for the day (to conserve electricity -- now I know why my mom always yelled when I left the lights on) and when I come home I scan an NFC tag that turns on Wifi, boosts all my volumes and checks me into Foursquare. But now when I connect to that Wifi network (and go change out of my work clothes) my PC is already booting up without me having to do anything. It's pretty awesome to scan the NFC tag and then hear my PC start back up. Total nerd-gasm.

Upvote 0
pupkact - using a Mac for rooting is usually a breeze thanks to the fact that it's unix under the hood. If you go that route, snag our all-platform Mini-SDK linked from the root sticky. You never need USB drivers, the Linux instructions will apply once you get the hang of things.

Be prepared for extra hoops to jump through to support MTP for your Nexus USB transfers of pix, music, etc, or just use a wifi method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones