• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Just a quick comment on schooling....
while I have a degree in aeronautical engineering, I sell breast implants in an office job. My fiance has a degree in biology....and she sells breast implants in an office job. We both do more accounting everyday in our current jobs, than we were ever schooled in. And alyhough our employer has educational incentives to continue education levels...we have to do it in a study that is applicable to our current position. I am very concerned about going back to school for many of the reasons listed above...but we are also limited in our current positions until we agree to go back for another degree.
I am finding that our employer is more concerned with the social interactions between coworkers than job skills...as a recent interview showed....I was asked only about how a new groups individuals would be able to work with me, what they thought of me, and how did I think I might fit in socially with that new group.....and absolutely nothing about my job skills. I was told that was because my job skills were listed on my resume, they only needed to know if I would work well with others....pretty dissapointing, since that new position was closer to what I do on an everyday basis, than my current job description.

I also have a degree in Aero Eng, although I have stuck with a career doing just that. But all the companies vary in their methods, so basically you have to learn everything over again anyways. I really think in the technical fields, Co-ops, internships, and apprenticeships are so much more valuable than classroom based learning, for both student (actual hands on experience) and company (relatively cheap labor).

Right now I am taking my Master's degree, but it was set up with input from my company, and is much more useful to my daily job than a general Master's program at a university.

So I just wanted to say to everyone here, CONGRATS! We have passed the Droid Incredible Lounge! Less than three months, and they have been around for nearly two years! If interest at AF is any sign of the awesomeness of a phone, there is no doubt which is best :)

Upvote 0
So I just wanted to say to everyone here, CONGRATS! We have passed the Droid Incredible Lounge! Less than three months, and they have been around for nearly two years! If interest at AF is any sign of the awesomeness of a phone, there is no doubt which is best :)

WOOHOO! That didn't take long at all!

10k here we come! :D

Upvote 0
I also have a degree in Aero Eng, although I have stuck with a career doing just that. But all the companies vary in their methods, so basically you have to learn everything over again anyways. I really think in the technical fields, Co-ops, internships, and apprenticeships are so much more valuable than classroom based learning, for both student (actual hands on experience) and company (relatively cheap labor).

Right now I am taking my Master's degree, but it was set up with input from my company, and is much more useful to my daily job than a general Master's program at a university.

Hey y'all,

Thought I might add to this portion of the discussion as my life's path lends relevance to it.

I will be 30 on June 21 (takes a bow :)) and have yet to complete a bachelor's degree. While I could be upset at myself for failing to reach that once easily viable goal, I am not. For many reasons I left college just after the start of year three. I realized that I had not been ready for college and needed time to find me. What transpired changed the course of my life forever. I picked up some really bad habits and at one point owned nothing more than an acoustic guitar and a weeks worth of clothing. When I finally said, "Enough!" I began my life's intended journey...

...I worked two jobs for a year straight, 60-70 hours a week, to pay off debt and save money. One of those jobs was as a barista for a globally recognized coffee company. I am still employed with that company today, though no longer at an entry position. And I have finally gotten to a place in life in which I am willing, able and ready to finish the education I prematurely started.

Why is this relevant you ask? In my company, one of the key drivers of successful performance are the distinguishing behaviors that drive one to work well with another. I cannot stress its importance in both customer relations and employee relationships. And in my life's experience, managing a group of young people around respect and dignity for each other did not come to me via college. I learned that stuff the hard way. And by no means do I believe I can't be learned in college. I also encourage higher education. I am taking that leap again myself this very year.

Thanks for listening.

To those affected by mother nature in its ugliest form, my family is thinking of and praying for you. My wife and I have been following it on television.

jmar

Upvote 0
My degree is mechanical engineering. Because I grew up in an aerospace hotbed, I didn't want any part of the business due to its cyclical nature and not so wonderful workplace morale. Sadly, that's all that was hiring when I graduated all those years ago. So that's what I do. As for college, first you do need to learn both technical, or, hard skills, and intrapersonal skills. But I was forced to take all of these useless humanities classes that have had exactly zero bearing on any part of my life, in or out of work. And in engineering, you are taught theoretical stuff and some analysis, but very little design, and most jobs are in design. I agree with whomever said internships are the best solution. I had one, and it's amazing how much better the new grads tend to be that have done that.

Having said all that, college isn't for everyone. Trade school is best for some, military for others, etc. And sometimes it's just timing. I think we put way too much emphasis on going straight to college after high school here, when getting some real life lessons would do a lot of people a lot of good.

Upvote 0
Kind of funny that Han is in 4th place and left the forums a month after launch. Prolific poster.

Most people don't realize that if VZW had delayed the GNex for another week or two, BB would have passed him in that thread. I think even Steven is watching her carefully. ;)

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo - send her off, let her know that it's no dishonor to want to come home and that being on your own doesn't mean going it alone.

And make sure you're both set up with good videoconferencing and use it often.

In my opinion. :)

PS - my daughter went on archeology digs at that age. Not NYC, but I hear the part about striking out. ;)

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo - send her off, let her know that it's no dishonor to want to come home and that being on your own doesn't mean going it alone.

And make sure you're both set up with good videoconferencing and use it often.

In my opinion. :)

PS - my daughter went on archeology digs at that age. Not NYC, but I hear the part about striking out. ;)

Thanks Early, that's the way it appears to be headed. The girls she met yesterday were quite welcoming - no Black Swans - so they will be a great support system, live and work together. And +1 on the video chats, although I can only imagine that the bedroom "in camera view" will be the only clean part of the room :D

Archaeology - very cool. My mom was a professional digger. Central America and Middle East. Collaborated with some of the greats. Where did your daughter dig? Does she still dig?

Reactions: jmar and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Big round of applause to all the folks at the top of this list (Post count in the Gnex Watering hole).:D

I usually counter with it being all about quality rather than quantity, but with that whole list pointing quality, I gotta give up to the toppers and not go there.

Instead, I will simply call out Steven as conspicuously missing.

Oh yeah, guarantee he's going to see this, uh huh.

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo,

I know I've said this before, but my Oldest step-son has been accepted to Mass Maritime (sorry can't say it enough). Part of that is that he will go out to sea annually, literally, one semester a year on a ship at sea learning. You just have to trust that they are in good hands and support their dreams.

Upvote 0
IHateMyTreo,

I know I've said this before, but my Oldest step-son has been accepted to Mass Maritime (sorry can't say it enough). Part of that is that he will go out to sea annually, literally, one semester a year on a ship at sea learning. You just have to trust that they are in good hands and support their dreams.

I DO remember you saying that, and that's a big-time accomplishment and huge step. Good for him and you as parents.

Yeah [sigh] you know in your heart this day will come, but you really try not to think about it until it actually happens. What it says to all you young parents or parents-to-be, enjoy the childhood years. They'll be bailing on you before you know it. Maudlin, huh?

Reactions: jmar and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I usually counter with it being all about quality rather than quantity, but with that whole list pointing quality, I gotta give up to the toppers and not go there.

Instead, I will simply call out Steven as conspicuously missing.

Oh yeah, guarantee he's going to see this, uh huh.

C'mon man. This is about the only place where I haven't seen him "pop his head in".

Edit: I am seriously laughing out loud right now.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Thanks Early, that's the way it appears to be headed. The girls she met yesterday were quite welcoming - no Black Swans - so they will be a great support system, live and work together. And +1 on the video chats, although I can only imagine that the bedroom "in camera view" will be the only clean part of the room :D

Archaeology - very cool. My mom was a professional digger. Central America and Middle East. Collaborated with some of the greats. Where did your daughter dig? Does she still dig?

Daughter of one of our friends went to Alvin Ailey Homepage | Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater at about that age, she was 16 or 17 as I recall. Four years ago, seems like yesterday we were all pulling for her. Cirque du Soleil signed her. :)

My kid went on Native American historical digs about 1400 miles from here. She wanted field experience so she wouldn't end up classified as strictly a lab type, as she was all about lab foresensics for archeology. I think that I have one of the few kids that hung out at an autopsy lab when she was 15 and 16. Took a while to get her to not discuss her favorite autopsies at dinner without hurting her feelings. :D

Despite her firm plans to work in archeology or anthropology, she changed her mind and now works in a genetics lab.

Reactions: IHateMyTreo
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones