• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Okay :)

I think I found a rom I may want to try, so, I am going to need someone to help me out with this a bit.

The rom is LiquidSmooth v1.35

Now, obviously I need to back things up and I got titanium backup pro. So, do I need to:

a) Backup all user apps
b) Backup all system Data
c) Backup all apps + system data

Then I know I need to flash the rom after this, and I guess its the same as the radio flash, just open up rom manager and chose install from SD card

then after it installs the rom, I go back into titanium and restore a, b, or c

right?

Hey there. I would suggest booting into recovery to flash. If you need some instruction on how to do this I am sure it is out there but it basically goes like this.

Boot into recovery.
Wipe data (this wipes cache for you)
In the advanced menu wipe dalvik cache
Back out and in the mounts/storage menu wipe, system, data, and cache.
Then back out again and choose flash zip, then choose install from SD card, locate your ROM and flash. Then do the same navigation to get to gapps and flash that!
Reboot!
Profit!

jmar

Reactions: ajdroidx
Upvote 0
TiBu don't ever do system data. Its a surefire way to get frustrated. I always backup user apps and data. Some people just do the apps. You have to see which works best for you. I have a schedule set in TiBu that does my apps, then any new apps and another for any changes I've made to any. I only tell you those so you have am idea of what it can do. Once Liquid is flashed and up then you can go into TiBu and restore user apps and data or just user apps. Some people occasionally have problems restoring data. I haven't run into that yet.

Titanium does my backups daily at 3am. I always do user apps and data without any issues when I switch ROMs (I usually have 100+ apps that I have installed). The only system app I ever do is CarHome, but I always recommend that you never do any system apps unless you are willing to break things and have to fix it.

Upvote 0
Mine is Mon, Wed and Friday at 3 am.

Alright, guess I should finally jump on this. I bought TiBa ages ago but never used it. I didn't mind wiping user data (ie: SMS) when loading new ROMs. It's just passwords for Twitter, FB and data for my Metro app that are a pain to reload. Hopefully I can find a quick tutorial for the app around here as I know it's pretty powerful. If I have any questions, you all look to be quite helpful. :)

Good morning everyone! Beautiful Saturday morning here. What to do today?

Upvote 0
if anyone is up, i could use a little help. I downloaded the new radios, started rom manager, clicked flash clockwork mod recovery and ended up with the poor little guy dead with the dreaded red triangle on his back. I can get out of it with a battery pull but what is going on here?

Morning!
I had that happen too. I stopped using ROM manager. Once you get back up and running use your power button to boot into recovery.

Upvote 0
Alright, guess I should finally jump on this. I bought TiBa ages ago but never used it. I didn't mind wiping user data (ie: SMS) when loading new ROMs. It's just passwords for Twitter, FB and data for my Metro app that are a pain to reload. Hopefully I can find a quick tutorial for the app around here as I know it's pretty powerful. If I have any questions, you all look to be quite helpful. :)

Good morning everyone! Beautiful Saturday morning here. What to do today?

Morning Dread! I have a day of errand running and then dinner at a Brazilian BBQ. Hope you don't have to spend all day in the restaurant.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Morning!
I had that happen too. I stopped using ROM manager. Once you get back up and running use your power button to boot into recovery.

Thanks BB, its been a while since i have done that, please remind me how, and thanks this early saturday morning!

Never mind I remembered, hold both volume up and down, hit power, lol, it was a brain freeze.

Upvote 0
There is some file you need to rename to prevent the GNex from rewriting the stock recovery back on reboot. Check the ATR sticky. I think it is mentioned in there.

thanks Pup, I did that, but i am still stuck. I think that even though i still have rom manager that i have lost clockworkmod...is that even possible?

Upvote 0
How should i do that?

I had the same thing happen several weeks ago. I had to connect the phone back up to the computer and go find the snippets I needed to do from the root tutorial again. I just installed CWM using those instructions and I was back up and running within a few minutes.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736600

I think that, section 2, should get you going again.

Overview

• download the appropriate LTE CWM .img file for your particular device<LI sizset="309" sizcache0866873803812358="2">don't forget to verify the MD5 checksum of the download before you flash it!
  • put your phone into fastboot mode
  • flash the CWM .img file via fastboot
Instructions

A. unlock your bootloader (see the Unlocking The Bootloader section in the first post (#1) above)

B. download the version of ClockworkMod appropriate / specific to your carrier:
  • Verizon / VZW (CDMA) version: Clockwork Recovery for Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)

File name: recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img
    MD5: b2d31c29b7ef785f9c0802a12264d322
    File size: 5,263,360 (bytes)

C. place the selected ClockworkMod recovery .img file in the directory with your fastboot and adb utilities

D. make sure you phone is connected with the USB cable to your PC

E. next, boot your phone into fastboot mode (press and hold both the volume-UP and volume-DOWN buttons and then press the power button)

F. start-up a command prompt (Windows) or Terminal (Mac / Linux) session as outlined in the Unlocking The Bootloader section above and change to the folder / directory where your fastboot utility, adb utility, su.zip, and selected recovery .img file are located

Note for Windows users: we will be using both the adb and the fastboot utility below, so you'll need to make sure you have USB drivers installed that will recognize your device while in both modes. The [ADB/FB Driver] Naked Samsung Driver 1.7 - xda-developers works very well and there are other USB driver options listed at the bottom of the first post above.

G. okay, now we will flash (install) the selected ClockworkMod custom recovery image to your phone's recovery partition:

Code:
    [B]For MS/Windows[/B]:

- command for [COLOR=red][B]Verizon / VZW CDMA[/B][/COLOR] recovery:

[COLOR=purple]fastboot [B]flash recovery[/B] recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img[/COLOR]

[B]For Mac/Linux[/B]:

[COLOR=purple]./fastboot [B]flash recovery[/B] recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img[/COLOR]

- after you've flashed the recovery, use the [B]volume keys[/B] to change the 
    green "[COLOR=green]Start[/COLOR]" arrow/banner to the red "[COLOR=red]Recovery mode[/COLOR]" one

- select that mode by pressing the [B]power button[/B]--that will actually 
    launch the new custom recovery

If you wish to simply soft-boot (load ClockworkMod into your phone's memory from your PC and boot it without flashing / over-writing the currently installed (presumably stock) recovery, you can use this process:

Code:
    For MS/Windows:

[COLOR=purple]fastboot [B]boot[/B] recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img[/COLOR]

For Mac/Linux:

[COLOR=purple]./fastboot [B]boot[/B] recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img[/COLOR]

- your phone should now boot into ClockworkMod custom recovery

• Edit: I do not use ROM Manager at all with this phone. I always manually boot into CWM and do everything myself. That way if something does go wrong, I know what happend and I know I'm responsible and not something a program screwed up for me. I always find it easier to recover from mistakes I made thatn mistakes someone else made.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
i am running the first leaked 4.04 but nothing works in rom manager. that is why i think i lost clockwork mod, maybe i will go back and re-root and see if that fix's it.

Has it prompted you for SU permissions? (or consequently denied them?)
Did you flash just the radios/bootloader, or the whole ROM itself? I wonder if it unrooted you?
Like geek said, I only use ROM Manager to flash CWM (latest) and rename backups if need be. Everything else is done in Clockwork. It's a great app and Koush is a fantastic developer, but, getting things some the "manual" way seems best. :)

Upvote 0
Guess I'm just talking to myself this morning :eek::p
I know I should avoid it, but I always like to read up on reviews from Yelp to see how we're doing. And, this (from our other location in VA) is why I shouldn't be reading:
Pete's New Haven Style Apizza - Arlington, VA

I think people are just waking up - or at least more people. But weekends are usually slower here anyway.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones