• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Good morning all - finally back at work and its hot and sticky here in NJ. Quite disgusting if you ask me, its about 85% humidity. Definitely wish it would rain or just go away, but doubt that happens any time soon.

Boston was super fun this weekend - did some touristy stuff, but ended up doing two brewery tours (Sam Adams and Harpoon) which were super awesome. You tour the brewery and then get free beer at the end, what could be better. Harpoon literally let you go to town on their taps for 25-30 minutes. I had quite a sample of their beer and ended up with a Growler of an in-house only brewed Saison, which is amazingly delicious. Some pics below for your enjoyment, pulled from Instagram.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend, but back to work and full time guide work too.

Sam Adams Brewery
b8b88d96a74411e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Free Sam Adams Beer (Summer Ale, Boston Lager and 26.2 Marathon Beer)
96d9eff6a75511e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Boston Skywalk
28e8a93ea76811e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Harpoon Beer Straight from Conditioning Tank (Before Bottling)
09f3a5f6a81c11e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

Harpoon Warehouse
8266cd28a81d11e1abb01231382049c1_7.jpg

Penguins at the Zoo!
f7612f52a83011e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Great shots Stigy! If you told us you were going I'd steer you towards some small microbreweries to tour. These guys aren't open yet, but I've met the brewer and tried some of his homebrews. Great stuff.
trillium brewing | Boston Massachusetts

Also, for those looking for some cheap apps and games, check out this site:
Because We May
(spoke with a couple Mods about it and it is legit)

Upvote 0
Great shots Stigy! If you told us you were going I'd steer you towards some small microbreweries to tour. These guys aren't open yet, but I've met the brewer and tried some of his homebrews. Great stuff.
trillium brewing | Boston Massachusetts

Also, for those looking for some cheap apps and games, check out this site:
Because We May
(spoke with a couple Mods about it and it is legit)

Well we were talking about going back to hang with some friends - feel free to shoot over some info. I'm down to visit some microbreweries.

Hey there Stigy! Great pics, glad you enjoyed Boston. :) I used to work for Sam Adams, I'm really glad you loved their tour. You got some great weather here too!

Oh really? That's so awesome - tour was really awesome and our guide was super fun. Free beer always helps too.

I think my favorite part was the Harpoon tour having beer straight from the conditioning tank though -- its cool to have beer before its bottled.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous.

Upvote 0
Oh really? That's so awesome - tour was really awesome and our guide was super fun. Free beer always helps too.

I think my favorite part was the Harpoon tour having beer straight from the conditioning tank though -- its cool to have beer before its bottled.

Weather was absolutely gorgeous.
Haha, yeah, free beer definitely helps! Some people get a little out of hand, though - and you should see what lowered inhibitions will cause people to write on comment cards!

Anyway, I wish I'd caught you before you left - I would have told you about an awesome sandwich place to go to that's not far from the Sam Adams brewery. Did you guys take the T around, or rent a car?

Upvote 0
I've used to be an avid homebrewer (RL got in the way though) so having the fresh stuff before it's bottled is always fun. Especially enjoying it as the fermentation process proceeds.
Favorite tour was at Maker's Mark. They open ferment all their wash (basically beer) openly. The tour guide asked "Do you want to try it?", us looking bewildered said "okay". He said just stick your finger in there and try it! :eek:
Dipped my finger in and tried it and it was pretty gross. Since it's distilled afterwards, any sort of contamination would be mitigated.
Unfortunately they didn't have their tasting room up and running, but it was still a great time (and a BEAUTIFUL location in Kentucky).

Upvote 0
Haha, yeah, free beer definitely helps! Some people get a little out of hand, though - and you should see what lowered inhibitions will cause people to write on comment cards!

Anyway, I wish I'd caught you before you left - I would have told you about an awesome sandwich place to go to that's not far from the Sam Adams brewery. Did you guys take the T around, or rent a car?

We drove up there so we ended up actually planning our day where we'd park one place and just walk the day. Second day we did aquarium, quincy market and stuff in that area so ended up paying $12 to park all day, which was quite awesome.

Yeah wish I would've realized you were up there, but next time. I might go up with some friends in a few months so definitely will check it out. What's the name of it?

I've used to be an avid homebrewer (RL got in the way though) so having the fresh stuff before it's bottled is always fun. Especially enjoying it as the fermentation process proceeds.
Favorite tour was at Maker's Mark. They open ferment all their wash (basically beer) openly. The tour guide asked "Do you want to try it?", us looking bewildered said "okay". He said just stick your finger in there and try it! :eek:
Dipped my finger in and tried it and it was pretty gross. Since it's distilled afterwards, any sort of contamination would be mitigated.
Unfortunately they didn't have their tasting room up and running, but it was still a great time (and a BEAUTIFUL location in Kentucky).

I'd love to start homebrewing - any suggestions? Tips? Websites? Kits? Etc.

Upvote 0
I was right with the chief, waiting, waiting, waiting, and last Friday, I had 3 of the "one way" calling issues in an hour and I cracked.

I started with Wugs guide, watched the 11 minute video on it, and copied down the steps, which I get roughly 29 individual things to do.

It wasn't really hard, but I took my time, went all through the steps, and thank god, it loaded how it was supposed to.

I elected to go with AOKP latest build, which is 4.0.4, then flashed the IMM76 radios.

I haven't made/received many phone calls, that'll tell the tale on the dropped calls issues, but my batter has gotten about 25% more life. It had 25% left yesterday at 1800 instead of 14%

I wish I had done this day one. The control panels have so much more to run the phone. A simple thing, is the AOKP has built in "sleep mode" that shuts off the buzzing/bells on emails after XXXX PM, and then turns back on at YYYY AM.

I hope it solves my phone issues, damn thing couldn't be trusted. Plus got instant wi fi hotspot.

One thing I did have an issue with, was my google apps didn't flow to the phone after I got it running. My son told me to dump the google account OFF the phone, yournamehere@gmail.com, then reload it, and I did and then the apps came pouring in off google play.

I hope you get your update soon Chief, but the poor buggy software was killing my phone, costing me money, so I took the next big step. Here's hoping you get yours running too.

Okay, folks:

(1) What if I ROOT, install CWM, make a nandroid backup, THEN unlock (wipe), THEN root again, and restore the backup? Will that accomplish what I'm trying to do?

(2) Does anyone have experience with Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit? Look s good to me! :D

(3) I hope everyone had a GREAT weekend!

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
I'd love to start homebrewing - any suggestions? Tips? Websites? Kits? Etc.

For equipment, Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer (local stores are always best, but they're often way more expensive and frequently don't rotate stock quickly enough so things are stale). For sites, there's a ton out there.
A good friend of mine has his blog:
The Mad Fermentationist - Homebrewing Blog
Feel free to email him or myself if you want any tips to get started. Just remember, the biggest thing about homebrewing is CLEANING. So, if you don't enjoy doing that, don't even bother. :p;)

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
We drove up there so we ended up actually planning our day where we'd park one place and just walk the day. Second day we did aquarium, quincy market and stuff in that area so ended up paying $12 to park all day, which was quite awesome.

Yeah wish I would've realized you were up there, but next time. I might go up with some friends in a few months so definitely will check it out. What's the name of it?
Ahh, very cool. Well the sandwich place is called Wan's Convenience Store, and it's one of my favorite places in Boston. The front and interior with dusty shelves might make you hesitate, but don't be fooled - it's the deli counter you're coming for. It's run by a hilarious Jamaican guy called Al, and he makes these absolutely amazing hot and cold subs with top quality ingredients. He has a little grill for the hot subs; it's dangerous to stand near because it smells so amazing and will make your mouth water intensely. It can take a while because of the care that he puts into every single sandwich, but he'll keep you entertained with witty banter and funny stories while you wait.

In addition to the menu that you'll see on the wall, he keeps a "secret" menu that only regulars find out about. This includes a sandwich simply known as the Hush, where he'll literally just take whatever ingredients he wants and makes a sandwich for you; you can watch him make it, but he won't tell you what's on it. I have never been disappointed in a Hush; indeed, it's my usual order when I go. Usually I'll go with a friend or two, we'll each get a Hush, and swap halves; thus, getting two different sandwiches.

However, don't feel obligated to do this - every sandwich on the menu is awesome. My personal favorites include the Three-Way (roast beef, turkey, and homemade chicken salad with russian dressing), the Bizzy Bone (homemade chicken salad, bacon, and homemade honey mustard), and the Witch Doctor, a hot sub made with prime rib cooked in a very spicy pesto sauce. The incomplete menu is on their Facebook page. Check out the reviews on Yelp too. Cannot recommend this place enough!

Upvote 0
I never found it in my settings under 4.0.2 but being a noob, it's possible I just didn't know where to look.

BTW, I had my first dropped call/one way audio issue about 10 minutes ago. Shut off NFC, and 4G, in attempt to find if they are causing the issue.

Looks like 4.0.5 might fix things, but once again, waiting on Verizon to ok it means your phone will be replaced by that time.

Also sounds like you get to battle with Verizon, for replacement, your cost for all your accessories, etc. Don't have time for that right now.

If anyone found a solution to "one way audio", I'd appreciate it. Your on the phone, and the caller starts with "hello, hello". It happens on the wi fi in my office, and out in the field.

Perhaps turning off wifi, and seeing if that fixes something is another solution.

adjuster11, is the "sleep time" mode not on stock ICS? I can't tell since I'm ROM'd but, it's under Settings - Sound - Quiet Hours. Great feature but one I don't really use since I don't have sounds for email but need it for calls/texts even if I'm sleeping.

Upvote 0
Chief

Funny you should ask. I was waiting for a "stable phone" before I loaded it up to try wallet. So far, not there yet, so no wallet on my phone.

Wish I had better news with my Root job, that wow, it all works and it's fine. If I get the one way audio figured out, I'll post my results.

I still chuckle when I see the new Microsoft phone ad's, "you're beta testing days are over". Only nobody told me I was Verizon/Sammy's "unauthorized" beta tester.

HEY Adjuster:

Do you use Google Wallet? Because I DO. I have quite a bit of money on it. Last thing I want to do is lose all that money if the stinking thing resets and bricks the secure element.

Otherwise, I have backed up user data and am just about ready to do the deed :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones