• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note 3 - Dropping service signal

I took ownership of my Note 3 on Friday. A lovely phone, even better if I could make calls from it and text!

All ok on Friday. Then Saturday it dropped signal and since haven't been able to get signal since.

The phone seems to be recieving data streaming ok, Like emails etc. Though I can't get phone signal. Can't make/recieve calls nor text. Its getting very annoying.

I visited the vodaphone store today. They replaced the SIM card. I waited an hour until turned it on and the same problem appeared again. I managed to get signal for first 20 seconds then it shut off. This is the same everytime. I get about 1 min of service and send a text then it completely drops the signal saying no service.

Has anyone else had this issue with there Note 3. I have raised this with Vodaphone UK, though they reckon it's the network. I think a faulty phone.

Well, THAT is definitely not going to work. :(

Do they even give you the option to get a new one? If not, I think I would just tell them, thanks, but no thanks, and give them back the phone!

I have gotten great signal but went through a few phones while they were getting the voice quality issue straightened out.

I wish you luck with this.

Upvote 0
I had to exchange mine for a similar problem. It worked great for about 8 or 9 days then started having connectivity issues with both wifi and my carrier. At first Tmobile thought it was a bad SIM, so they swapped that. It helped, but I was still having issues. I exchanged the phone the next day and so far it's been fine. Still less than a week though.

Upvote 0
I thought id give an update.

I went back to the Vodafone shop on Monday. They played around with the phone and diagnosed it was faulty. I am on a 4G tariff with a 4G phone. Basically they reckon when I left a 4G signal area the phone wasn't switching to 3G; instead shutting down the entire signal.

Phoned Vodafone customer services and they have replaced the phone within a day. They have tried to resolved the issue promptly.

The real test will be now when I leave my 4G area. Will the new phone step down to 3G automatically.

I hope so.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
If we could just get the carriers to stop reissuing phones that have already been returned six times before they ship them back to Samsung...

Amen man, such a huge issue.

And the only reason it has been returned that many times is because when we turn in a device, they do a 5minute test, if that, and if everything runs right they resell it, even if the problem still exists, yet it just didn't happen when they used the device for that short period of time.

The typical, consumer stupidity, is expected in carrier companies...which is completely false, a lot of the times when we return a device it actually is experiencing issues that we cannot control :(

Upvote 0
Amen man, such a huge issue.

And the only reason it has been returned that many times is because when we turn in a device, they do a 5minute test, if that, and if everything runs right they resell it, even if the problem still exists, yet it just didn't happen when they used the device for that short period of time.

The typical, consumer stupidity, is expected in carrier companies...which is completely false, a lot of the times when we return a device it actually is experiencing issues that we cannot control :(

Supposed to be against the law (Consumer Protection) to sell as a new one if it's a returned device..
Doesn't mean they don't though..
That's why it is important to try and get one that is still in a factory sealed box..
Sonny

Upvote 0
The strange thing is. The 1st phone I received the box seal wasn't broken and it had all sorts of issues.

However the replacements box seal was broken and the phone works perfectly ok.

It was new all in the packaging, just the box seal was broken.

Sometimes a phone just comes with issues, happens sometimes, really stinks but it does happen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones