1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy Note 4 and Kies PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gopens, Oct 17, 2014.

1. gopens

gopens Member

So I just picked up my Galaxy Note 4 today. This post is going to be al over the place...so for that, I am sorry. I just don't really know how to ask this question. So with that being said, I just switched back to Android today from IOS. Now I am dealing with this Kies that Samsung says I need to use to transfer music and photos. I am on a Macbook Pro. So the first question is do I HAVE to use Kies? Can I just drag and drop? My other question/problem is after I have installed Kies, it does show my music from my itunes library in Kies. But when I hook up my brand new unrooted phone, it scans for a second, then once it recognizes my device, is says The application Kies has unexpectedly quit. I have reinstalled Kies a couple times and the same thing happens. Please help out. Thanks you.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

3. gopens

gopens Member

Thank you. I just downloaded that and when I connect my phone it keeps saying Try reconnecting or restarting your device. To which I have done 4 different times. Any advice? Sounds like what I am looking for if I can get it to work. Thanks again

4. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

I'd dump Kies and drag and drop/copy and paste. However I wonder if your problem is using the wrong version of Kies? You need to use Kies 3, while I can see the download for it for Windows, I can only see "regular Kies" for a Mac.

See here :

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/usefulsoftware/KIES/

5. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Android Expert

+1 on the copying/pasting

6. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!

It may take more time but copy/paste is always an option.

7. icemanchilled

icemanchilled Member

This isn't like iOS, you don't need an app to copy or sync files over.

Just plug it into your PC, let your OS find the correct drivers and drag and drop the files you want just like you would with a flash drive, it's that easy.

You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.

8. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

That's the problem; the OP is using a MacBook which doesn't support MTP well, if at all.

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

This. It's easy if the OP is using Windows, since you can just MTP it. But on a Mac I think he/she's stuck to using Kies.

Anyway, to the OP. Make a backup of your iPhone using iTunes. Kies has a restore from iTunes backup function you can use.

10. icemanchilled

icemanchilled Member

Really? Yay for Apple making something so simple complicated. :(

Maybe he should install windows on that Macbook :D

11. gbsa

gbsa Android Enthusiast

I use the app airdroid, free from the play store. You can transfer music and photos to and from your phone with it. Forgot to mention I'm running Linux on my computer so it should work with your Mac.

Slug likes this.
  12. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Actually, it's Android could be equally blamed for forcing something owned by (and therefore subject to licencing from) Microsoft onto us. The old Mass Storage Mode may have been limited but at least it worked with everything.

Maybe more OEMs should consider that not everyone uses a PC, and give their uses a choice of how to connect their devices. ;)

p.s. moving this to the Galaxy Note 4 sub-forum.

13. Ca_lvn

Ca_lvn Newbie

davidlawrence likes this.
  14. Canesfan

Canesfan Android Enthusiast

The same link I gave the post before you, no?

15. gopens

gopens Member

Hello. I just noticed these replies. I went ahead and installed airdroid and it works amazing. Sure I have a couple steps, but it works great. Thanks for the replies guys. And I am a guy FYI :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews