• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note and SMS question

Hey all,

First I want to say I love this forum. Everyone here has been so kind and helpful to me since I became an Android fan. The help you guys have given me has been first class, so thank you all very much. Now that I am done @ss kissing I would like to both you all with 2 additional questions.. :)

1. The "I'm an Idiot" question... Under the listing here of devices's there is the Samsung Galaxy Note and the Samsung Galaxy Note LTE. Can someone please explain the difference? At first I was thinking that it was related to the wireless carrier, however, both AT&T and Verizon claim to have 4G LTE, hence my confusion. I have AT&T 4G, is that the same as the Note LTE? Or is there some other difference?

2. I am looking for an SMS application that will allow me to schedule SMS / MMS deliveries in the TW Launcher. I do have the GO SMS Pro app, but I am not 100% comfortable yet using the GO Launcher EX, but the more I use it the more comfortable I am getting. I am not one who likes alot of change with things I don't have a full handle on and I am still pretty much a n00b when it comes to the Droid, but I am coming along pretty well :p

2.1 On top of that, when I install an after market app (if that's what they are referred to in the Droid world), where I would like the new app to replace the default app, and in most cases unless you have a rooted device which I do not have, nor am I overly interested in doing that purely because I don't want to F'up my device and brick it where I can not fix it and wind up voiding the warranty, I have always had an issue with Smartphones especially Androids, the stock ROMs come with a suite of default applications, but if you install an application say, Handsense SMS, and there is a default SMS application, when you receive an SMS/MMS message, you receive 2 alerts of the incoming message, 1 from the default app and 1 from the after market (in this case Handsense SMS) SMS app. I have not yet been able to figure out a way to get the alert from just the after market app and not from both. Can this be done with the Galaxy Note, or any device?

I apologize as I know these are probably pretty n00b questions, but I was always told that the only stupid or dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. So I ask that you please bare with my n00bish questions and kindly help me understand these few things and recommend a good SMS/MMS app. I do have the GO Launcher EX and I did install GO SMS Pro which does have a scheduler, but I actually do prefer at times to use the stock TW Launcher.

Thanks all, as always your knowledge and assistance is always appreciated. One day I hope to be giving some n00b here the advise you all are giving me!

Peace!

I can only answer the first question since I am more of an email fan tbh. The difference between the two phones is the radios built knto them. The LTE uses a different technology and was intended (mostly I assume) for the North American market. The other Note is the international model which works with HSDPA. Both are technically 4g but are competing technologies. The LTE note can also do NFC which the international Note lacks.

Hope this helps?

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Reactions: enduser2941
Upvote 0
I can only answer the first question since I am more of an email fan tbh. The difference between the two phones is the radios built knto them. The LTE uses a different technology and was intended (mostly I assume) for the North American market. The other Note is the international model which works with HSDPA. Both are technically 4g but are competing technologies. The LTE note can also do NFC which the international Note lacks.

Hope this helps?

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Thanks Eric, yes that does help clear up the questions of the Note and Note LTE, though as I was reading further on wikipedia based on what you wrote, I thought I really had it down pat, however the more I read, the more confusing these new devices are!!! I was thinking that if the HSDPA was for international devices I thought maybe it's similar to the old GSM technology, but I was wrong as the LTE, HSDPA are referring to the data transmission. Then I was thinking LTE and HSDPA was perhaps different from the speeds like 3G/4G, but again I was wrong as HSPDA is (or was??) actually considered enhanced 3.5G and iPhone has HSDPA 4G for international devices.... Needless to say neither my question nor your answers are that simple which means I have a boat load of reading to do to understand the technologies better.

So for all those looking at this and willing to help with some answers, I don't mind tabling question 1 unless someone has some simplistic chart or more in depth but simple way to explain all this.

That being the case, I would still appreciate and answer to the rest of my questions. HOWEVER!!!! lol It does appear that GO SMS Pro will work with the default TW Launcher as well as the GO Launcher EX, but I have not figured out how to schedule an SMS message (I haven't really looked that hard yet as I was wondering if there is a better one out there you guys like, if not I will be content with GO SMS Pro once I get the scheduling down.)

This sadly does bring me to a new question.... What exactly is the Launcher? Is the Launcher just a vehicle to different Themes? In the windows world you basically just d/l a theme and select it and poof it's there and it changes the look and feel of windows, your desktop, colors, pointers, animations ect, however, in the Droid world, as I understand it, the launcher is the application that multiple themes are built against and if you want a new theme, you must first install the launcher for that theme in order to load that theme, and the theme in the Driod would be similar to a Windows theme, changing the look and feel and number of the windows, your desktop (window), colors, widgets, animations ect. Also other then the widgets, mostly all apps can run using any launcher, though there look and feel may be tailored to go with a specific theme. Am I understanding this correctly?

I apologize for all the questions, it's just that for some reason today I seem to have had a few epiphanies while playing around with the GO theme as I noticed that the SMS app that gels with the GO Launcher EX / Theme says it supports scheduling of SMS messages. Thus far, I am thinking I may keep the GO Launcher EX with the Windows 7 theme as I am finding it pretty slick.

Any favorite Launchers or themes you guys are using?

Once again, I bow down to the glorious guru's of Androidforums.com!!

Upvote 0
Hey mate,

In regards to question number 2, In GO SMS Pro follow the following steps :

Open Go SMS Pro > Click on Menu > Once Menu is open click on the Services tab > Them click the Schedule button - bottom left icon > Click on the top right corner icon - clock with a Pen > Enter recipient, repartition, time and content.

Once you have set it up all done, and I used this a lot for Christmas and New year days made sure I didn't forget.

Number 3
When you install a 3rd party application, for example GO SMS Pro which as you know is an SMS replacement application. The first time you click a link or a contact you want to send an SMS to you will get a box that will open showing you a group of applications that can complete this task (same for Internet browsers like built in vs Opera) there will be a radio button at the bottom to make your chosen application the default one.

Number 4
Launchers are basically a replacement home screen launcher. For us we have TouchWiz (which I don't really like) for HTC its Sense. I personally use GO Launcher EX as it gives dome nice widgets and it's Free.

I have bought and used - SPB Shell 3D, Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher

ALl three are paid apps, also the developers haven't updated them in a long time so paying for them and getting no or limited support is a problem.

Hopefully I have answered most of your questions.

Cheers

Jace

Sent from my Vodafone powered Samsung Galaxy Note

Upvote 0
Hey Pal

I use Go Launcher Ex - Good widgets, loads of customisation and FREE! (after using SPB Shell - Visually stunning but limited in many functional ways, ADW - A close second to Go Launcher Ex, Tochwiz - Ok I suppose).

Get an app from Play Store called Home Switcher to easliy switch from Touchwiz to new launcher, so you can have a play with it and go back and forth (I used You Tube for set up tips and hints for all lauchers metioned.

I also use Handcent SMS (best on the Play Store IMHO - Loads to customise and themes galore.
Again use You Tube for set up tips and hints).

Also the Note is awesome :D (had mine 2 days coming from a Galaxy SII).
There is an option in Settings/Application settings/Default Messaging application and set to All(SMS & MMS).

For double cover go into the stock messaging app and go Settings/notifications and uncheck that (it works for me).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Get an app from Play Store called Home Switcher to easliy switch from Touchwiz to new launcher, so you can have a play with it and go back and forth (I used You Tube for set up tips and hints for all lauchers metioned.
Hope this helps!

Hey McT, Thank you to you and Jace for the info, definitely helpful! I love my note as well, I am coming from the HTC Inspire which was nice, but I have been interested in purchasing a tablet and when I went into the AT&T store for a reason that I honestly have since forgotten why I went there, I saw the note and was instantly in love. My only complaint with it is that the S-Pen is very buggy it either works perfectly or it ghost writes like crazy and I am not the only one. I currently have an complaint open with them and I think they are going to refund me because the only way to fix the issue was to purchase the S-Pen accessory which allows you to put the S-Pen inside and it makes it like a full size pen and also insulates it so that it won't ghost write, other then that I love it.

Though I have a question of something you said in your reply. You mentioned to get Home Switcher from the play store for easy switching between the launchers, but it appears as though my note either already has it, or has something similar as I haven't installed anything that I know of and if I press the Home button on the phone, it brings up the "Complete Action Using" and lists the 2 launchers, Go EX and Tw. As long as I don't select Set as Default, it appears as though I don't need to install that app. Should it be doing something else when that button is pressed? What do your phones do if you press that?

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Though I have a question of something you said in your reply. You mentioned to get Home Switcher from the play store for easy switching between the launchers, but it appears as though my note either already has it, or has something similar as I haven't installed anything that I know of and if I press the Home button on the phone, it brings up the "Complete Action Using" and lists the 2 launchers, Go EX and Tw. As long as I don't select Set as Default, it appears as though I don't need to install that app. Should it be doing something else when that button is pressed? What do your phones do if you press that?

That is what happens when you install a new launcher (or any non stock app for that matter, a box will pop up to for instance if you are sending an SMS - Complete action using Messaging or Handcent/Go SMS etc) until you set one as the default (basically associating a single press of the home button to an action i.e >Go to the Home Screen of (Touchwiz/Go Launcher ADW etc) your launcher of choice.

I personally did not like the fact that that box pops up, so using home switcher you can go between them when/if req.

Over the last few years I've had the following 'devices' Iphone 3G (Jailbroken), iPhone 4 (Jailbroken) Galaxy S2, iPad (Jailbroken), PS3 and decent spec laptop (not for gaming).

I ditched the PS3 as I simply don't have the time to play games in full (I still play with my step-son on GT5 and PES every now and again). The laptop is a staple and I will always have one (downloads, syncing devices, Office tasks etc). I still can't justify owning an iPad other than it was 'a cool bit of kit' when launched (It is good for gaming/media/browsing on trips etc). As for the iPhones, all good upto the 4 (if jailbroken - ios not cutomizable enough IMHO). I prefer the SII to iPhone and Andriod to ios.

My needs now is a device that can encompass all of what I loved about the above inc the ease of popping it in your pocket = Samsung Galaxy Note. Only had it 3 days and I simply love every aspect of my 'Phablet' so far...(no issues with the S-Pen, battery is being 'trained' but can happily get 18 Hours with heavy vaired use).

My wife now owns my SII almost making the iPad redundant......ebay is calling!

Upvote 0
"Phablet" LMAO! I love that, I think I'm going to borrow that... :) I was a Blackberry fan until BB burned me with their new Torch which was their first Touch Screen I believe. The problem was the hardware was so weak and the original software that first came with it was very buggy, I returned it to the ATT store within like 2 days. They eventually released a few patches that fixed most of the slowness of it, but by then I was well into my Inspire which was my first taste of the Drois OS. Now with the Note, I couldn't be happier except for the S-Pen, but the problems I am having with that are very cut and dry, you either have the problem or you don't (evident here, I have it, you don't :) ). Samsung is making it good for me though so I am not complaining. I love the S-Pen but sad because Samsung is delaying the ICS 4.0 release to add more apps for the S-Pen.

You might want to try Maxback.com to sell your iPad, I was surprised at the price they gave me for my BB Bold. It may be faster and more money for you.

As for that dialog box being set right now to my home button, what is the function of the home key if I set a default launcher? I am only asking because it only comes up when I hit the button. If I reboot, it just defaults to the Stock TW launcher to which I just switch to the GO Launcher EX. So if I decide to set the default action to the GO launcher, what then does the home button do? Does it just drop down to a home screen of the chosen launcher?

Hey also I just wanted to thank you again for the discussion, I am still fairly new to the droid os, so I am learning everyday more and more and the more I learn the more I like :)

Upvote 0
As for that dialog box being set right now to my home button, what is the function of the home key if I set a default launcher? I am only asking because it only comes up when I hit the button. If I reboot, it just defaults to the Stock TW launcher to which I just switch to the GO Launcher EX. So if I decide to set the default action to the GO launcher, what then does the home button do? Does it just drop down to a home screen of the chosen launcher?

Its a home button, basically once you set a launcher as default at any point during any program you will return to your home screen. Or long press it for task manager (On ICS it will show a screenshot of running programs that you can scroll in between). Or double press for voice controls :)

Upvote 0
Cool thanks.. Totally off topic here, but with out a Samsung printer, is there anyway to print documents created with Polaris, D2G, or Quick Office? I have a Brother Printer and it does have an Android app, but it will only print PDF, or photos and I would prefer to not have to convert to a PDF every time just to print to my wireless printer. Thanks

Actually I just found a great printer app, "Printer Share". It's a phenomenal app, found my printer right away, and will print practically everything. Even suggests strongly that you d/l and run a test print first before you buy it, infact, you don't even see how to purchase it before you have used it. To me that's awesome, the only down side is that it's a pretty expensive app at $12.99, though, in my opinion, it seems to be worth every penny and it's regularly updated. The other paid print apps, either don't offer a try before you buy, they don't work, need it to piggy back on top of other apps (cloud print) or just plain old don't work. I have found another app, that is updated but there is no try b4 buy and I am not going to buy an app even at $0.99 just to find out it doesn't work. I would rather support the guys who charge the $12.99 and keep on top of the app, and has a sleek and clean interface.

BTW do you guys use the GO Keyboard? I like it better then all the other keyboards that are default on the Note. It's really clean, nicely laid out, and it's word prediction is awesome!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones