1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy Note keeps turning off if not in charger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mulenex, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Mulenex

Mulenex Lurker

Hello gentlemen,

I've been using my galaxy note for a year with no problems. Several weeks ago, I rooted the phone and tried out a custom ROM - GalactusMod. I have since went back to stock (thru nandroid backup) and everything worked fine, until I got this issue.

My phone just keeps turning off. Usually, several seconds after startup, the screen flickers for a second or so, sometimes I lose phone reception and imminently afterwards the phone turns off. Sometimes the screen just flickers and nothing happens - but in such a case it starts flickering again in less than half a minute (and it usually turns off that time). This also happens when on airplane mode. However, the issue doesn't appear when a) the phone is in recovery mode, b) when the screen is off. c) when the phone is in charger. In all of these cases, it shows no "symptoms" even after a long time. When in charger, I can operate the phone anyhow, but I've noticed that apps from google play (or APKs) can't install. Internet otherwise works.

I'm using a stock ROM on an Exynos Abuse rooted phone. The following procedures have failed to fix the issue a)factory reset b)cache wipe c)installing a custom rom d) going back to a nandroid backup from the time it worked fine.

What should I do? I'd like to try every possibility before sending it to repair. Does the warranty apply? (I'm in EU, GT-N7000 model). If I'm to send it into warranty, how can I get rid of all indicators of there ever being a root/custom ROM?

EDIT: I unrooted the phone through ExynosAbuse. It didn't help. I also noticed that the phone reception is completely reliable when phone is in charger, but when it's on battery, it turns off frequently, mostly just seconds before the phone turns off.

Thank you in advance,

Mulenex

Advertisement

2. tdodd

tdodd Well-Known Member

Flickering screen prior to spontaneous/random shutdown is a symptom of a failing battery. Remove it and lay it on a flat surface to check for signs of bulging. If there is any misshape then it's time for a new battery. I bought one for my Note on eBay for under

Mulenex likes this.
  3. Mulenex

Mulenex Lurker

4. tdodd

tdodd Well-Known Member

I imagine that recovery mode places extremely low demands on the battery until you actually ask it to do something. e.g. the radio systems will not be working - WiFi, mobile voice, mobile data, Bluetooth, GPS and the processor won't be running background apps/services etc.. It will basically just sit there doing pretty much nothing except displaying a screen which is mostly black and also drawing little power.

5. Mulenex

Mulenex Lurker

I installed a custom ROM and then restored a backup through recovery mode. Both of these procedures are, I imagine, highly battery consuming. I have a Phil Z recovery mod that shows the battery level, and one full backup restore took about 10-15 % of battery (in about 20 minutes). That seems a bit more than usual, but not outrageously so.

6. tdodd

tdodd Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant that you booted into recovery and just left it sitting there doing nothing. Of course if you are backing up/restoring/flashing then that will use some power.

7. tyler76006

tyler76006 Lurker

I had the problem where my phone would shut off whenever, plugged up or not plugged up. When off, it was constantly trying to turn itself back on and would vibrate incrementally. I was able to turn the phone on sometimes and it would show Samsung or even make it to the desktop, then shut itself off. After formatting the unit, trying a different rom, attempting to restore it to the previous OS, I took the phone to an AT&T store. He took the phone apart and cleaned the power button. It has worked fine since. Hope this helps.;)