1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy note UK ICS update available now!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by unknown-singh, Jun 1, 2012.

1. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

I think the opposite - this means, like before, security is all or nothing. Either input it every time (unless your screen times out and you don't have to), or no security at all. How often do you manually put it sleep when you put it in your pocket? A hundred times a day in my case, meaning I have to enter the pin practically every single time. Ballache. Hate to bring up the iPhone, but I was hoping it'd be implemented exactly like that, shorter times being more secure.

Advertisement

2. How are you guys getting the upgrade to work in Kies? Every time I wait 20 mins for the firmware to download and then the Note is pushed into update mode - at which point Kies complains and says that the PC lost connection to the device. 2 different PCs same issue. I'm going to give up I think!

3. NaHPrO

NaHPrO Member

mine wont even install the drivers! im so lost......

4. I guess we have to wait for the network update if Kies won't play ball :-(

5. BlackDog24

BlackDog24 Lurker

Mine isn't offering anything either through Kies or through software upgrade on the phone. Tells me my 2.3.6 is the latest :(

6. NaHPrO

NaHPrO Member

oh well this sucks... i was hoping to update, i shouldnt of ever hit cancel... is there not a way to force the update?

7. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

Don't use Kies Air. Use the standard version.

Ian

8. NaHPrO

NaHPrO Member

I got it installed :D thanks.

9. I got it installed too - finally :)

Anyone notice the gallery app scrolls differently with ics? It seems jerky to me.

10. devoncatt

devoncatt Newbie

Yes it comes with the ICS upgrade

11. Okay so far there are pros and cons for me with the upgrade...

Pros:
    - launching apps and in app scrolling of vertical lists (e.g. email folders) is faster and smoother
    - generally fonts seem sharper and slightly more elegant
    - delay in locking after screen goes to sleep is a plus
    - notifications screen scrolls out much quicker
    - text selection seems to behave better
    - personal hotspot is working which it never did for me before :)
    - mark all as read in email app

Cons:
    - consistently higher RAM usage
    - horizontal scrolling on home screen seems less smooth (apps still scroll smoothly but scrolling wallpaper image stutters slightly) using Touchwiz
    - scrolling in gallery app is really odd with lots of stutter when out was silky smooth with GB
    - orange theme on my Swype keyboard replaced blue (personal preference)

This is just from the first few hours of use.

12. drunkenmax

drunkenmax Member

I've upgraded. Downside was I couldn't get rid of the keyboard setting notification whenever I get a message and all my screen settings and app folders reset. The Gmail widget is terrible though the app is better.

13. marcjohnson

marcjohnson Well-Known Member

The stock browser is so much smoother now and doesn't break up for a split second with a load of checkered squares before it fully loads.

Background data seems to be always on though even though it is switched off in the Accounts and Sync tab, I seem to be getting alerts from a blog I have as an app, this could be the main reason why some find the battery to drain quicker and background data being on does drain it.

Anyone else finding this?

Overall I can notice it being a lot smoother and sharper so pleased with it.

14. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast

I've found a few issues. Gta3, stupid zombies and asphalt 6 don't work! Anyone know how to get them to work with ICS?

Also the battery life seems less :(

Swipe on status bar to change brightness no longer works also?

Apart from that all good

15. ifb-online

I am not experiencing a plunging battery capacity. After three hours this morning I have 85% remaining and that is with wifi on constantly and higher than average use for me. That compares with typical use prior to the ICS upgrade of 4-5% battery per hour if I don't switch wifi off.

Ian

16. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Feels like proper multitasking with the recent apps now, I love it

17. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

And when I wake my phone up now, I generally don't get the one or two second delay. Screen lights up straight away.

18. MadAmethyst

MadAmethyst Newbie

I installed ics via kies last night,am loving it,so fast and smooth,up to now have not experienced any issues and have to say battery life good cosidering all the tinkering i've done since the update,no complaints here :)

19. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

Quite like Chrome, feels fast minus the bloat that I wasn't keen on with Dolphin.

Handles bookmarks terribly though, can only be viewed as icons. What..the...

20. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

When viewing the bookmarks as thumbnails, press the menu button and there will be an option to view the bookmarks as a list instead.

21. biker74

biker74 Well-Known Member

Generally fine with the update. The only thing I have had an issue with is the disappearance of the IMDB widget, can only get icon now.

Also, I was kind of hoping for the Roboto system font, but nothing. Oh, my resolution is better, especially when it's a white screen, all smooth now.

22. gadjet63

gadjet63 Lurker

Hi all,
    I am trying via kies and downloads every time but stops at the instal phase. Tried 4 times now. Left it 4 hours most and still just sits there. Using win 7 and my note is orange.
    Any ideas what problem is? Great reading it works well with you all but so annoying I can't.
    Hope you have an answer:thinking:

23. yegon

yegon Well-Known Member

Are you sure? I've fiddled endlessly and can't seem to find that option. Before I made that post yesterday I actually googled it for a solution but found none, instead lots of people having the same problem.

Equally, is there any way to reorder bookmarks on the device? Again, can't seem to find the option. I like Chrome, but these omissions are a bit annoying, and just a little mystifying.

Edit: we are talking about Chrome here, and not the Stock browser aren't we?

24. ifb-online

Is anyone else finding the stock browser is sometimes unresponsive to tapping on links? I find I have to zoom in to get some links to work. The link does highlight but the linked page doesn't even start to load?

Ian

25. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

Ah sorry! I thought you were on about stock browser.

Just downloaded chrome and I can't see what the fuss is all about. The pages load fast, but scrolling is jerky compared to stock.