• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Player 4.0 shuts down randomly

smsungal

Oct 11, 2012
My player will shut down when unplugged sometimes, and other times, it will just shut down when I open an app. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it my player only? This is a new player, I just received it a couple days ago. I've enjoyed it greatly since, but am having this problem :thinking:. I love this device very much.

my 5.0 that i have had almost a year now did this once or twice back in february of this year. has not done it since. what i have found out is that 9 tiomes out of ten when you have a weird problem with these devices it is the fault of an aftermarket app being installed. i had a problem once where my wifi would not turn off, it would just stay in the "turning off state" forever and flash all kinds of error warnings. it turned out to be the frostwire app that i installed. it was controlling the wi fi and not letting it shut off.
try figuring out what, if any new apps you installed around the time that this started happenning and delete them to see if this fixes it. if not try a factory reset (settings, privacy, factory reset)

funny thing with mine now is for the past couple of months when i turn my player off it turns itself back on again right away. this happens about 50% of the time. only does it once however. after it turns itself on, when i turn it off the 2nd time it stays off.
i know when it is going to turn itself on because the vibrate that the device does right before it powers off lasts extra long when it is going to turn itself back on. anybody experienced this?

Upvote 0
Many thanks brosko. Just yesterday I added a couple more apps, but didn't have the issue I explained. Weird that yours turns itself on right away, lol...haven't had that happen. There is something though, when I turn it off after I finish using it, it takes a while to turn off. I assume it's only because it's loaded with apps, so the more you add to it, the longer it takes for it to shut down (I had the same case with my iPod/iPad). Other than that, I think it's working fine now.

How is the 5.0? I was going to get it, but found it too big for my purpose. I also hear there will be a 5.8 coming soon. Another question...do you have Facebook and play games on there? I can't seem to run games from my player, considering that it does support Flash. Just wondering.

Upvote 0
The 5 is great! I love it compared to the 4 honestly. My girlfriend has the 4. It is great also but I like the bigger screen of the 5. It makes it more usable imo. the 5 is big enough to use comfortably for me but small enough to be super portable. The flash for the camera is great to. As far as facebook I dont use it so I cant help you there. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Ya the radio should work without wifi. It uses its own antenna which is the headphones. Make sure they are plugged in all the way (sometimes the port is a little hard to plug into when new) also I love the 4 to. It has its advantages. More pocketable, easier to use with one hand, better screen res. Etc.. Sometimes I wish I had both.:D

Upvote 0
No the apps will be deleted. (there is way to save them but I dont know it. Sorry, maybe someone else can help) I think factory reset is your best bet though, that way you will know if is the device itself (i doubt it) or an app that was installed (more likely). Search around here. I think that backing up apps for a reset has been discussed before. If not go to anythingbutipod.com you might find some help there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones