1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S 3(AT&T) is running slow

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by VmPas, Mar 6, 2013.

1. VmPas

VmPas Newbie

AT&T Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.1
    I noticed today while at work that my Galaxy is running a bit slow. I went through task manager an took a look at the apps I was running. Not a whole lot, but closed them all to see if it would make a difference. It did not. Then I went ahead and cleared my RAM and I got a pop up that said "X amount of programs/applications closed." WHat exactly is running in the background while I am using my phone? This number ranged from 5-18 Programs/Applications which has me slightly concerned.
    I have yet to restart the phone, even though I hear it usually solves the issue of slowness sometimes.

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

I wouldn't worry about killing apps or anything like that, and when you exit an app, just be sure to use the "back" button to exit.
    Now, as far as running slow, a reboot or battery pull might help it.:)
    If that doesn't solve it, then we have to delve deeper:)

3. VmPas

VmPas Newbie

Alright. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Sorry if this is a daft question but do you have Power Saving mode on?
    Have you tried running Quadrant app to get a rough idea of how fast the phone is running compared to how it should?

Mikestony likes this.
  5. VmPas

VmPas Newbie

No I don't actually. And no I haven't and it only slows down at certain times. I have noticed today that it slows if Ive been texting back and forth for a bit. Also the keyboard was never really able to keep up with me...

6. funkylogik

In older phones, when theyve felt that way, the "App Cache Cleaner" app/widget has fixed it but the s3 shouldnt really need it. Id try it though.. i still have it installed and sometimes it does sort out things like that

7. VmPas

VmPas Newbie

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

8. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

i'd reboot.

my previous phone was the dell streak running 2.2.x. and the reboot time using a rooted rom was like 1.5 minutes.

with my s3, it's what... like 20-30 seconds?

when i sense something wacky going on (as a lifelong windows user) my tendency is to reboot. which i do... like every 5-10 days.

9. funkylogik

Ditto :thumbup:

10. VmPas

VmPas Newbie

So I have somewhat of an update. Admittingly I never got around to trying out some of the suggestions posted here however...

The other day my phone fell off my desk when my USB cable got caught by my arm rest. My screen protector cracked(imagine the heart attack when I thought it was the actual screen). So I took the screen protector off and have been using my phone without it. I noticed the next day while texting and doing the usual things on my phone that my phone was a bit faster, especially with texting which was the main problem I was having before.

Im wondering if the screen protector wouldve had anything to do it with it? Even though it has nothing to do with the workings of the phone?

11. ajay.acharyakv

ajay.acharyakv Well-Known Member

Try this:
    Settings > Developer Options > Window animation scale (Set this to off), Transition Animation Scale (set this to off) and then Animator Duration Scale (Set this to off)
    (if Developer options is disabled, enable it before trying the steps)
    Then, exit and you will notice the phone is faster.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews