• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S 4G vs. Nexus S

elemteacher2be

Feb 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
In case I have some non-Nexus users over here who might give a different perspective:

I still can't decide. It's horrible.

I think I have it down to this:

Galaxy S 4G Pros:

• 4G! Incredibly fast.
  • Looks nice - I played with the Vibrant, and the TouchWiz, off bat doesn't seem horrible to me.
  • HD Video
Galaxy S 4G Cons:

• No flash!!!!
  • 2.2 Froyo
Nexus S Pros:

• Pure Google!
  • 2.3 Gingerbread (yum!)
  • Flash!
  • Faster updates (for UI I mean)
Nexus S Cons:

• Not 4G
  • No HD video

Who can add to my list?

How important is the flash on the camera?

I found a website comparing pic from the MyTouch to the Vibrant. Not sure if the Galaxy S 4g has a night mode, but more than likely does if the Vibrant does. If it does, I am considering getting the Galaxy S 4g, still not sure. I do like using the LED as a flashlight and I use it often, but you can't argue with those results.

Is The Samsung Vibrant Night Mode A Worthwhile Replacement To Flash? | TmoNews

Why do they have to make it so hard to choose a phone!?!?!?

Upvote 0
In case I have some non-Nexus users over here who might give a different perspective:

I still can't decide. It's horrible.

I think I have it down to this:

Galaxy S 4G Pros:

• 4G! Incredibly fast.

• NOT IN MY EXPERIENCE!

be aware, I got the phone wednesday, and the data keeps dropping to E (EDGE!) On the rare occasion that I do see the 4G notifier at the top, the speeds are abysmal! Using ookla speed test, I'm getting AT MOST, half the speed I was on my sprint 3G phone. I downloaded a radio and data monitor app, and despite the notification bar claiming I had 4G service, I can see that it is only 3G - and with a weak thruput.

I will be swapping the device tonight to see if it is simply defective, but several calls to tech support and a sim check have not shown any issues with the device.

Upvote 0
seriously considered the nexus s, but the curvy screen freaked me out. ifa device swap doesn't fix my galaxy 4G problems, I might just go to nexus s.

If you haven't actually handled a Nexus S yet, go to a Best Buy and take a look, the curve is barely noticeable. Like someone else on one of these threads its more of a gimmick.

I got one for my wife a few weeks ago. The phone is awesome, the screen looks amazing. But if you want the latest and greatest and willing to really shell out money, wait later this month or next month, dual processor phones will be out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones