1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S and 32 GB SDHC card problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zeev, Mar 11, 2011.

1. zeev

zeev Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Hello everybody
    I had 16 GB card in my phone and everything was fine. But now I bought 32 card of same manufacturer (Sandisc) and the phone is constantly freezing and becomes not responsive. Things get back to normal when I remove the card. What is the reason ? The card works fine on computer with adapter.

Advertisement

2. pietjuhhh1990

pietjuhhh1990 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    App/web development
    Netherlands
    What speed series did you get. SD cards have diffrent speeds.
    A really slow sd will freeze youf phone when it tries to read because it takes to long

a really fast migt be to fast for the phone

3. ayongkot

ayongkot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    venezia, italy
    i have a 32 Gb sandisk micro sdhc class 2 and i don't have problem with the speed. movies and music occupies 80% and i never had any problem playing those. i bought it at expansys france for

4. zeev

zeev Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    I don't know how to figure if it's card problem or phone problem

5. sleeco

sleeco Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    Leeds UK.
    Hi, try formatting the card, it may do the trick.

6. mrsb2005

mrsb2005 Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Page 34 of the user manual states "Your device can support HDSC cards up to 16gb capacity".

7. zeev

zeev Lurker
    None

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info. But how come some people have no problems with 32 card?

8. ayongkot

ayongkot Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    venezia, italy
    what manual are you talking? my manual page 13 says 32 Gb maximum can be used with SGS

"Insert a memory card (optional)
    To store additional multimedia files, you must insert
    a memory card. Your device accepts microSD

Attached Files:

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    32GB cards work, its definitely not because the phone doesn't support them.

Its also definitely not related to the Class of the card, thats a commonly espoused fallacy.

Did you have apps moved to the old SD, where the phone is constantly trying to load/read data from the old card?

Also, when you first insert the card the media scanner will start up, while that is scanning the card for media it will be a bit slower and have some hangs until it completes scanning.

I would first of all try copying the entire content of the old card over to the new in a card reader or similar, then insert the new card, reboot the phone, let it complete scanning, and then see whats what. The initial scan on a card tends to take longer than subsequent scans I have found (my 32GB card is nearly full, after flashing a fresh ROM etc I notice that first scan takes substantially longer than later ones).

10. Rodan1

Rodan1 Lurker
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    I have a Samsung Galaxy fascinate S from Verizon. I've run 4, 8, and 16Gb SD's on it with no prob. I'm taking some college classes and I use it to video record them. I can get about 4 on a 16 but I also like to use it to study when I'm not near a 'puter so I wanted the 32 to store some extra vids on to review.

Anyway this is being so obsitinate I'm getting really upset, mainly because I can't find the answers I need from anybody including Verizon. I'm very computer literate but everything I've tried isn't helping the stability prob.

I've formatted from both the computer and the phone, one day it'll read the vids the next minute it says the card is corrupt and it's never liked to record a video(on the 32). Also now when I put it in (which is about what it's starting to feel like!) When I try to go to the gallery it's saying the viewing app has crashed!

I can force read Jpeg's on it by going through the file viewer but then it doesn't recognize the video format for some reason!

I'm going to try SD's site and their formatter if that doesn't do it I dunno! Any help is always appreciated, Oh, BTW I've also tried a phone replacement so unless it's the OS which would suck there's gotta be a solution, I hope!

Tnx,
    John W.

11. seepage

seepage Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2010

Nobody mentioned the Captivate.