• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S (Captivate) or Xperia Arc S or ?

foosion

Lurker
Jun 9, 2012
I'd like to get an unlocked (no contract) Android phone for around $300 to use when traveling. It should run 3g on 850/1900/2100

The best I've found so far are the Samsung Galaxy S (Captivate) and the Sony Ericcson Xperia Arc S.

Main uses would be google stuff (maps, gmail, calendar), web browser, music, videos, e-reader. I'm not likely to run many apps at once.

Since I'm likely to be on a prepaid data plan, the ability to limit data usage is a plus, although I suppose Juice Defender runs on everything.

What would you recommend?

Stock, the Arc S should run faster. Not only does it have a higher clock rate, Sony's Timescape UI seems to be less resource intensive compared to Samsung's TouchWiz. Android 4.0.4/Ice Cream Sandwich is also available for the Arc.

If you plan on installing custom ROMs, there appear to be more ROMs available for the Captivate.

Price-wise, though, the Captivate is usually cheaper by $30-50. That said, if you can stretch your budget another $100, the Galaxy Nexus is excellent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones