1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S Country Letter Code

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geoffjac10, Oct 19, 2011.

1. geoffjac10

geoffjac10 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi,

can anyone tell me if i changed the country code from ORA to XEU and then flashed with stock 2.1 then 2.2. and then Gingerbread would this "unlock" the phone for use on any UK network?

Thanks.

Geoff.

Advertisement

2. Nevy P

Nevy P Member
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Northants UK
    In a word NO !!

Like myself you have an Orange UK SGS

You will need to get the phone unlocked first (using correct Samsung Unlock Code) before attempting to flash another CSC.

(You may trash the phone by trying to flash another CSC without unlocking it first - so do not attempt it !!)

You will be able to flash different firmware to a network locked phone but the phone will still be locked to whatever network !

If the phone is more than 3 months old Orange will be able to apply to Samsung for the code to unlock it - this code totally unlocks the phone from all 'restrictions' - not just network lock.

Then you will be able to flash with any I9000 firmware - all files ROM /MODEM/PHONE/CSC (if needed BOOTLOADER)

Basically the 'I' in I9000 means world-wide variant so you could flash any firmware you choose - but ofcourse you should look for European versions but try to get a 'complete package' which has all the files and the correct version of Odin

Be aware that if you flash all files you cannot go back to stock Orange if the relevant files are not available - and you may have to configure the phone manually for internet access and data

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nevy P

3. geoffjac10

geoffjac10 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Oh. ok thanks fella, best I find out how to unlock it then....without paying preferably!

G.

4. geoffjac10

geoffjac10 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    OK so ive trawled the web, read as many forums as i can read and im still no closer to unlocking an Orange UK phone...it looks like i have two choices:

1. Downgrade to 2.1 (Eclair) and then run a program called "Generate Unlock Windows" where it will give me a Network Control Key. enter that with my new sim card insterted and hey presto it should unlock.

- my question for this is how would i go back to (Orange) Eclair. Hence my original question about downloading stock 2.1 ? Can i use stock firmware on my orange phone?

OR

2. Root the phone and then obtain a file called nv_data.bin and edit it using a HEX editor (???) or something.

Im seriously confused, so any help appreciated.

Thankyou!