• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S II or Galaxy S II Skyrocket?

Which phone would you reccommend??

• Samsung Galaxy S II

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
I'm Eligible for upgrade within the next two weeks...and I was really set on getting the Skyrocket...You know, newer phone, higher numbers in processor, bigger screen....That means its better right? Well i have been surfing the web and such, and evidently thats not entirely true...?

To start off, lets get this out of the way...I currently have a P.O.S. HTC Inspire...Nothing but problems with it, worst phone i've ever had...Speaker is too soft, can barely hear it...Phone freezes up, doesnt ring when people call me...Just too many problems...

Also...I dont live in a 3g area of AT&T...let alone one that has 4G-LTE...So should that right there deter me from getting that phone or....?
Just looking for a little insight from some people with a little more knowledge!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Both are really great phones, so it really comes down to preference. Do you prefer a larger screen or the slightly more portable screen? I myself actually prefer the 4.3" screen because my previous phone was the Infuse 4G, which had the same screen as the Skyrocket. That was a bit too large for me, but for some, that extra 0.2" is a really big benefit. So I would first recommend playing around with both screen sizes to see which one feels better for you.

Both phones are more than capable at processing. Yes, the Exynos on the original is absolutely beaten in its rave reviews, but really, unless you moved from using the SII to the Skyrocket, you probably wouldn't ever notice the difference.

Screen color is a bit different as well. I don't know why, but the SII has an even more saturated screen than the Skyrocket or the Infuse, which are both very saturated to begin with. I don't know if the higher pixel density attributes to that or not, but I actually prefer the colors on the Infuse and Skyrocket because they're less dark.

But the bottom line is, both the SII and the SII Skyrocket will not disappoint in every day use. Really, it's preference. Also, since it'll be your baby for two years, I'd also look at the form factor too. I think the original SII looks better, but the Skyrocket comes in white.

Upvote 0
I bought my S2 back in the beginning of December. I live in Houston, so I am in a 4G area and I believe it's LTE for the most part. For me, the screen size might have been nice, but it is ONLY 1/4" difference. I've also never been impressed with a 200mhz speed increase either. (Not since 486's anyway) So for me it came down to price and speed. $59 vs $199 (at the time) and 4G vs LTE. The guys in the store were pushing the LTE, of course. But once I nailed them down that 4G never drops below 2g, (I regularly see 4-9) I questioned, Sooo, your gonna have a higher cap with that right? "Well, no" So, you're saying it never drops below 2g, and HD video streams at about 1-1.5g, and your NOT giving me a higher allowance, so I cant do anything else USEFUL with all that extra speed... So WTH do I need to spend an extra $150 for?

Since you're not even in a 3G area, and I'm sure the price is a lot closer now, it'll most likely come to screen size. Best bet is to go into a store that has both on display, and hold them. You'll probably want to go with whichever feels the best to use. I have never been happier with ANY phone EVER than this S2. Plus, IMO, the Skyrocket feels a little unwieldy in the hand. And since this screen and digitizer is built together into a $185 replacement screen, the last thing I want is a phone that hard to hold onto.

Upvote 0
All other things being equal enough (to you) the LTE capability is the main draw of the Skyrocket. If there is little to no chance of getting LTE where you'll be spending most of your time over the next 18 months, its probably not worth the additional cost.

If AT&T is still offering the refurbished units, I'd highly recommend either at $10 and $20 respectively. We have 2 refurbished skyrockets since early March and they arrived like brand new condition and haven't had a single problem.

You should be happy with either one:)

Upvote 0
I will add a few things in this conversation.

Both are good phones, I do believe the i777 is better though, and by a good bit. The advantages of the skyrocket are possibly screen size, though I prefer the smaller, higher pixel density screen on the i777, and then the 4g.

The processor on the i777 as said before, has received better reviews despite having a lower speed. And the modding community for the i777 is bigger, which is the biggest plus for me, wont matter for some. Also the sgs2, not skyrocket, did win mobile phone of the year at mobile world congress, that says a lot

Upvote 0
A good friend at work has the skyrocket and I have the GS2. IMO the skyrocket suffers from the increased screen size without increased resolution - If you don't live in a current or soon to be LTE area, I think the GS2 is a better choice and value. There will be better LTE phones out soon ... I'll move to LTE then (I'm not in a LTE area either)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones