• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy S (M110S)

Matt31

Aug 30, 2011
South Korea
Just wanted to start a thread to see how many people here have the M110S Galaxy S.....it is the Korean version.

What ROMS and Kernels are people using?

I have only ever found one other thread (over at XDA) about this specific phone. I am sure there are lots of us out there that need and want to share information about the phone.

This forum seems a lot more active than the other one.

So,

I am currently using Nakyup VK22 4.2 ROM and Kernel.
How about you's?

Hey matt,

i used to have an SII but i lost it (like an idiot), anyways i got the S (m110s) today online. dont know too much about rooting (reading up on it now and watching you tube videos). maybe you can help me i havent done any rooting, the phone is unlockd and reads:

Firmware Version: 2.3.4
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.VG14

is there something better out there that is compatible, i saw on youtube that ice cream sandwich. anyways any recommendation or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrei

Upvote 0
Hey matt,

i used to have an SII but i lost it (like an idiot), anyways i got the S (m110s) today online. dont know too much about rooting (reading up on it now and watching you tube videos). maybe you can help me i havent done any rooting, the phone is unlockd and reads:

Firmware Version: 2.3.4
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.VG14

is there something better out there that is compatible, i saw on youtube that ice cream sandwich. anyways any recommendation or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andrei

How did you get your phone unlocked? I want to get mine unlocked for when I go to Canada......

GINGERBREAD.VG14......thats an older one!! :)
There are tons of things that are compatible actually.....if you have some time, head on over to this website and read up on it. There is a lot of reading, but I should be able to help you bypass some of it.

[SHW-m110s] Korean Anycall Galaxy S, Thread/FAQ/ReadMe/Discussion/Questions - Page 321 - xda-developers

There is one ICS ROM out that I know of for our phones, but I have heard mixed reviews....so I just stick to the Korean ROM Nakyup.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I just got this Galaxy anycall (shw m110s) korean version. My problem is on the text messaging, anytime i compose and send its asking for a sender to send the message, if ur not going to put anything on the sender ur not going to deliver the message or it says invalid sender. even i install the handcent or smsgopro, i cant send a message. coz using this apps will maximize the size of txt character to 160.
one mor thing, its only eclair 2.1 i wan to upgrade it to atleast froyo 2.2

Thanks,

Upvote 0
yo people.... I just got lucky and found samsung galaxy anycall shw-m110s android 2.3.3 in London ... seems like its Korean :DD... I found how to change it on English language... So there are some Korean apps and I don't like them cant remove them =( so my question- is it possible to install ice cream sandwich on this phone... really want it =)

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I got the same problem, being that it is locked in such way, that you cannot root it by any app that was designed to root the samsung galaxy s. The only thing I have done after toying with it for 2 months is to put all the korean stock apps in one folder and use Rocketdial and Gosms to replace the korean stock versions + plus after adding another 250 apps ( found out the RAM was just not enough to have so many apps..hehe

BTW, just use kies ( samsung phone manager) to upgrade your phone to the latest firmware ( gingerbread 2.3.6 WC13) which has folder capabilities

Hope someone in Korea can find out the way to easily unlock this phones

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks Matt, knew about the threads in XDA forum concerning using odin or heimdall to flash and root this version, but was hesitant that i could get it screwed up... hehe, hence was searching for and app to do it , or some other code to unlock/remove the write protection on the protection on the phone memory

just wondering why your phone is still locked when you are already using a flashed rom?

I had earlier upgraded firmware twice using kies and the phone remained unlocked in the sense that whatever prepaid sim card you put in it, it connects to that network.

My location is in the Philippines and bought this phone here, the only problem being the dialer (call korea) and korean stock apps.

Upvote 0
I am not too sure to be honest.
As far as I know, I am under a Korean providers contract so I cannot use another provider until my contract is up.

My buddy finished his contract here and went back to Australia, but he still can't use the phone there....although he is not rooted.

Do you mean, if I am rooted, I can buy a sim card, say in Canada, and use it there while I am on vacation?

I really do not know much about locking and unlocking

Upvote 0
I am not too sure to be honest.
As far as I know, I am under a Korean providers contract so I cannot use another provider until my contract is up.

My buddy finished his contract here and went back to Australia, but he still can't use the phone there....although he is not rooted.

Do you mean, if I am rooted, I can buy a sim card, say in Canada, and use it there while I am on vacation?

I really do not know much about locking and unlocking

I guess so, cause, I did read in one forum, ( don't recall which one at the moment) where an American took his Anycall to use on his vacation to the US and was able to just switch sims ...without any problems .

On the other-hand, mine was not rooted and I had factory reset it twice , which put me into panic mode .. hehe ( cause the last one made it go into Korean texts, not knowing what it says, just clicked away and finally it booted into English . And again I had been updated with firmware twice by Samsung in a few months ( one after the other) and nothing got locked so to speak .

It is possible different networks can have Network locks on their units under contract...which would most likely be numerical codes, specific to that network ..just guessing.

BTW they are sim unlock apps on the market for Samsung S. (Free and paid)

Upvote 0
Hi! I have a SHW M110s. I already have newer versions of the Galaxy series (Note, Tab), but I am keeping my SHW M110s because I learned so much when I bricked it and found a way to unbrick it and thereon to update it via Kies or via tips from XDA.

Great, Feel free to advice as to how you managed to unbrick as it would be most helpful to those who visit this page. Thank you in advance:)

Upvote 0
hiii everybody i m new in this post..... i just purchase shw-m110s....in past i just use symbian fones and 1st time i m using andriod but this korean version i m very much tensed that wht u are talking about....my current current version is genberbread.wc13 firmware version 2.3.6...is this is the latest or oldest i dont knw so plz guide me if there is any latest version and how can i upgrade it...bundle of thnx in advance

Upvote 0
Hi there i'm from the Philippines, i tried to update my Samsung Galaxy S SHW-M110s from firmwire 2.1-upgrade1 to 2.2 eclair(froyo) using Kies Air 2.5.. and now it's not working anymore, my computer cannot detect the phone.. the phone is stucked in a screen saying "upgrade" and a lot of korean words that i can't understand.. Please help me.. I don't know what to do :((

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones