1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy S phone creating IP address conflicts with computers on the network? Help?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by lacylu, Aug 25, 2012.

1. lacylu

lacylu Lurker

Okay so, my phone connects fine to my wifi, but as soon as it connects, one of the other computers in my house that was on the network immediately says there's an IP address conflict and can no longer connect to the internet (happens for both wifi and hardwired connections). I'm kind of technologically challenged, so I have no idea if this is just a problem with the router not issuing my phone a new IP address or if it's my phone doing something strange to cause this? The thing is, everyone else's phones, ipods, laptops etc all connect fine to the wifi and my phone is the only one that causes this problem..

Anyone have any idea what I can do? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

Sounds like a router issue. Most home networks can support up to 256 IP addresses and they typically assign a random one to anything connecting to the network. The router should know your computer is using that IP address and not try to reissue it to another device.

3. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast

Greetings lacylu,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that this sounds more like a router issue.

As davidmanvell said, the router should know that that particular IP was being used, and should supply your phone with a different one.

The "non tech" approach, would be to start with a reset of your router. Sometimes this is enough to clear up random glitches and such.

The rest are more technologically involved.

1. Have someone check to make sure that your router is set to DCHP, which means that your router is truly sending random IP's to your devices.

2. Try setting your router to give your phone it's own static IP. This is a IP address that will always be given to your phone every time it connects. This way no other device should have a conflict with your phone.

3. Look and see if a firmware update was released. Sometimes newer firmware is produced to fix glitches that arise after a router goes to market. This can apply to newer and older routers.

4. Try a different router.

Hope this helps.

4. greeder

greeder Newbie

Clearly it's an address conflict. So; first open the settings screen on your phone. Then select Wi-Fi. Tap the upper right corner of the screen where you see the three small squares. Tap advanced. Write down the IP address and the MAC address of the tablet.
    Now go to the conflicting computer. You will need to check its MAC and IP address. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of computer you have, so I can't give you detailed instructions. If you find out that there is a MAC address conflict, go out and buy a lottery ticket,it's your lucky day. MAC address are supposed to be unique. On the other hand,I would guess that you will find a IP address conflict. If that's so, then check the network settings on the computer to make sure it's using DHCP to get its network settings. DHCP simply means that the router hands out the IP address.

5. GYC15

GYC15 Lurker

Hi, this is my view of the problem. When you access a WiFi network with a laptop or smartphone you are assigned an IP address by the DHCP server. This address is stored within your device. When you come back the next day and login again the previous IP address is not cleared from your device (MS software!!) and therefore a new address is not requested from the DHCP server. However the DHCP server may have already allocted your existing address to a new device and as soon as login you get and IP clash!! Does anyone agree with my theory?? Cheers GYC15

6. This is a three-year-old thread and the person who started it hasn't been back here since. So presumably they either solved the problem or moved on.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

My guess is moved on....joined/posted/left... all in the same day.

/thread closed

funkylogik likes this.