• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S phone won't connect to home wifi - intermittant

Catfish

Jul 25, 2010
home.beardeddonkey.com
Hi people,

I have a Galaxy S I9000 in Australia running Froyo and it has a strange problem. Sometimes it will connect to my router's wifi fine, and then other times it refuses to connect. I have lived with it for about a month and found usually turning the router off and on fixes it, but recently this hasn't been and this morning I had the phone working on the wifi then suddenly it dropped off and couldn't connect on.

All other wireless devices use the same router's wifi stably at all times.

I have played with the settings on both the router and phone to try to correct it but nothing seems to help. I've tried:

DHCP assigned IP
Static IP
Setting lease time on DHCP server on router to allow 1 week
Added the phone's MAC address and gave it an IP in the DHCP server with a lease time of 1 week
Removing network configuration from the phone and re-entering it
Retyping (verifying) the password into the phone settings
Security encryption types are the same on router and phone

The strange part I don't get is that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Sometimes I can go a whole evening with wifi working, or even from late afternoon through to the next morning. Then other times it won't connect, it will drop the wifi off unexpectedly and not let it back on.

My cousin's iPhone never has these issues, so I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with it being a phone and the router not liking it. I also have a laptop and Wii that connect through wifi flawlessly.

Are there any known issues with Froyo and wifi that I don't know about? I am using a Billion BiPac 7402VGO router.

PS: Another thing, I tell the phone to connect to the router, then it says "Obtain an IP address..." when it has this, I check the router's status for the DHCP or IP tables and I can see the router is acknowledging and assigning an IP for the phone because it's got an entry in it's status tables. So I am wondering if this is like an authorization acknowledgement failure the phone's side?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones