• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S Problems

kiwiiwik

Jan 3, 2011
Ok, so my SGS is great, had it two months and love it.

I've rooted it using x4root and then used oneclick lag fix and the speed is 90% of the time fine.

However lately I keep getting black screen and force close (often, but not always, it mentions TWLauncher when force closing) and I have to turn it off and usually remove battery to carry on.

Ok, This happening everynow and then is no biggy but its got to like 5 times a day sometimes. I've recently uninstalled all the apps that I know of that were autosyncing (i.e news apps, facebook) because I noticed that the black screen crash issue was happening 90 percent of the time when it/something was syncing.

Any advice?

How do I find out which app, if it is an app, that is causing it to become unstable? Is there a known list (I've googled and searched here) of unstable apps?

On a side note, people talking about roms, I don't understand it completely but I'm about to do some research, are some roms more stable and less prone to crashing???

Please someone help me out, as there are other people with the same issue, I haven't found any help so far, but thanks in advance for ANY input/advice.

Oh yeah, its on 2.2!

Cheers guys,

Rob.

Ok, so my SGS is great, had it two months and love it.

I've rooted it using x4root and then used oneclick lag fix and the speed is 90% of the time fine.

However lately I keep getting black screen and force close (often, but not always, it mentions TWLauncher when force closing) and I have to turn it off and usually remove battery to carry on.

Ok, This happening everynow and then is no biggy but its got to like 5 times a day sometimes. I've recently uninstalled all the apps that I know of that were autosyncing (i.e news apps, facebook) because I noticed that the black screen crash issue was happening 90 percent of the time when it/something was syncing.

Any advice?

How do I find out which app, if it is an app, that is causing it to become unstable? Is there a known list (I've googled and searched here) of unstable apps?

On a side note, people talking about roms, I don't understand it completely but I'm about to do some research, are some roms more stable and less prone to crashing???

Please someone help me out, as there are other people with the same issue, I haven't found any help so far, but thanks in advance for ANY input/advice.

Oh yeah, its on 2.2!

Cheers guys,

Rob.

If you getting a lot of FC's it might be worth doing a wipe data/factory reset through recovery mode:
To get into recovery mode, power phone off first, and wait for 60 seconds.
Then press and hold the following: Volume up + Home + Power.

Release Power key when phone gets to the boot screen where it says Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.

Keep the other 2 keys pressed until the next screen has finished loading.
Then look at the top for WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET, use volume up/down to navigate to it, press home key to OK the action.

On the next screen look for YES, Volume up/down to navigate to it, home key to OK the action.

WARNING: doing this will most likely wipe your contacts, accounts, ect and you will have to set the phone up again.

If you looking to custom Roms, have a look at Darky's Rom V9.2 Extreme Edition

Upvote 0
ok, hmmm..... not sure i lose all that. seems silly but i have all the album art for my music and it took long time to download it all to phone, um..... Does that wipe SD contents as well?

any other ideas people?

Thank you though, But It's kinda my last resort option! Hoping i dont have to, but was aware it might come to that!

If I do, any ideas on best way to backup apps and things like my mp3s and the associated album art?

Upvote 0
ok, hmmm..... not sure i lose all that. seems silly but i have all the album art for my music and it took long time to download it all to phone, um..... Does that wipe SD contents as well?

any other ideas people?

Thank you though, But It's kinda my last resort option! Hoping i dont have to, but was aware it might come to that!

If I do, any ideas on best way to backup apps and things like my mp3s and the associated album art?

Connect your phone to PC in mass storage mode, drag music, album art ect from phone to PC.

Kies will back up you music, not sure about the album art, will back up contacts.

Any apps you have downloaded can be re-downloaded from the market.
Apps you have that didn't come from the market can be dragged and dropped from phone to PC in mass storage mode.

It only wipes from the internal sdcard,

Upvote 0
thanks. kies is now offering me a firmware upgrade which hopefully helps. Not sure about darkys rom, sounds good but no reviews yet that i can find?

The update kies is offering could be Froyo 2.2.1, if it is, it's very good, fast, smooth and has no lag.

You will find more info on Darky's Rom over at XDA Developers Forum.

I have been using Darky's Rom V9.2 Extreme Edition for a couple of weeks now and it's just great, very fast and smooth.
Darky produces updates on a regular basis, some are just fixes and some are major.

Reactions: kiwiiwik
Upvote 0
tell me one thing, (actually two :) ) I've been familiarising myself with the steps involved in darkys mod installation (seems the best way to go) and one thing seems little bit ambiguous -
"Step 3: Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery from the market. 1) Download Rom Manager from market.
2) Start ROM Manager. Choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
Your phone is now ready to install Darky’s rom v8.0"

So I need the Rom Manager, ok I have that now but do I also need to download ClockWorkMod Droid x Recovery Boot or is that not necessary?

Ok, 2nd thing is do you have a link to 9.2 I can only find a link to 8.1?

Hey, thanks for your help and advice btw!

Upvote 0
tell me one thing, (actually two :) ) I've been familiarising myself with the steps involved in darkys mod installation (seems the best way to go) and one thing seems little bit ambiguous -
"Step 3: Installing ClockWorkMod Recovery from the market. 1) Download Rom Manager from market.
2) Start ROM Manager. Choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
Your phone is now ready to install Darky

Upvote 0
Hey Rob,

First off, disable the lagfix and see if you are still having problems. I enabled the lagfix on my phone and it became somewhat buggy, so I disabled it and everything is fine again.

If the phone is having FC's (forced closures) while syncing, disable auto sync one at a time for individual apps and see if it still happens. If it happens with every app, it's the auto sync. If it happens with certain apps, well, it's that app.

For someone with little or no experience in flashing custom ROMs, stay with the stock ROM. Do some reading on flashing, backing up the phone and installing CWM first. This is a good thread to read.

If you decide to install the stock ROM with Kies, you will lose all your stuff anyways. The new ROM will wipe your phone when it gets installed.

There are 'no-wipe' versions of custom ROMs, but I never use them. This can only be good if you are not going from one version of Android to another, 2.2 to 2.2 or 2.2.1 to 2.2.1, but it's not the best way to do it.

Since you are on 2.2, if you install a custom ROM, it will be based on 2.2.1, so I would stay away from 'no-wipe' ROMs.

Kies can back-up all your music and contacts, but I do not know about the cover art.

You can install another launcher, like ADW.Launcher, GO Launcher EX, or LauncherPro. If you use one of these, also install, Home Switcher for Froyo as this will allow you to easily switch from one launcher to another. Do not uninstall the original launcher though.

If you are having positive results with another launcher then your problems are with TWLauncher. You can uninstall it and reinstall it. I have the APK for it if you need it.

Hope I've helped,
Ian

Reactions: kiwiiwik
Upvote 0
ok, now i have the dilemna, do i change to new rom or not? hmmmmm............. ok well I never liked standard anything lol, so start readin i guess. Thanks all.

There a couple of things you need to do first:
1. Is your phone network locked, to find out do this> tap on phone and enter the following as if you were dailing a number *#7465625# this will bring up a box, if the top one says network lock on your locked to your network.
Some people who have there phones locked have tried flashing new firmware and have had terrible problems, even bricked there phones others have been OK.

2. This one is really important, can you get the phone into recovery mode?
Power phone off, wait 60 seconds.
press and hold the following keys:
Volume Up + Home + Power keys.
When phone gets to the Galaxy S GT-I9000 boot screen release the power button only.
Keep the other 2 keys pressed until the next screen has fully loaded.

If your phone has gone into recovery mode you will see at the top of the screen something like this:
Samsung 3e recovery, below this will be some options
wipe data/factory reset
apply sdcard zip
Reboot system.

If you can see all of that then your in recovery mode and that's good.
If you can't get the phone into recovery mode then it's not advisable to flash new firmware using odin or anything like Darky's rom.

Check them out first and get back to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones