• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S:- Roaming when its not roaming.

Got a UK purchased unlocked Galaxy S, which I'm using in mainland China on China Mobile with a China Mobile SIM. On the screen the roaming R indicator is on, by the signal strength. And going into the about the phone options does indeed indicate that it is roaming internationally, when in fact it's not, because of the China Mobile SIM working on that network.

When I was using the phone in Hong Kong, I was using a 3 Hong Kong SIM and the Galaxy didn't indicate it was roaming at all. It did however show the R roaming indicator when I entered mainland China, Where the 3 HK SIM was working on the mainland Chinese networks, both China Mobile and China Unicom.

It should not be showing roaming R though when it's using a China Mobile SIM on it's own network though, but it is. I've also tried the SIM in another phone, and this does not show it's roaming at all. Only when the SIM is in the Galaxy?

The phone does dire warnings about incurring large data bills for data roaming, when it's not in fact data roaming.

Any ideas what could be happening here?

dont worry about that since the phone thinks itself as being in the original country.

That's what I originally thought. However the phone was not showing R 'roaming' when I was in Hong Kong, using a 3 Hong Kong SIM in my UK phone.

I had the same problem with the samsung galaxy I7500. If it helps, call your provider to confirm.

I did try a friend's China Unicom SIM and it still showed R 'roaming', just as it does when i use China Mobile. I guess it's an issue with my UK Galaxy S and mainland Chinese carriers. I've set the phone to ignore the dire warnings about international data roaming charges and it appears to be OK about it, apart from the R 'roaming' indicator.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones