1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S screen problem - washed out - software or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ace571, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ace571

ace571 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Hi guys

I have a screen problem with my SSGS i9000 - really hope you can advise a novice like me.

Yesterday, all of a sudden the screen looked really washed out, like the contrast/gamma had been turned up too far. Gmail, internet, pictures and videos are looking really pale and not clear - washed out and cloudy. The end call button more orange than red, battery indicator looks fuzzy. In phone settings the screen is set to lowest brightness.

Exactly this same issue occured in June last year when the phone was 7 months old. I took it to my supplier here in the UK (Carphone Warehouse). The onsite engineer updated the software to the then latest version - Gingerbread & 2.3.3. This cured it. All has been fine since, until yesterday.

Based on my previous experience I decided to check for software updates on Kies. Kies updated it to 2.3.5. Screen problem remained.

On advice of a friend, he suggested a "proper" reinstall - I read up about ODIN and last night took the plunge and I flashed the phone to:

Firmware 2.3.6
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9000XXJW4-cl1043937
    Build: gingerbread.XXJW4

The phone is working beautifully, but the screen problem remains.

My question is is there anything else I can do on the software/reflashing of the phone to sort this issue? Is there anything I've missed or should do? Or has the screen had it and require replacement? ie. is it a hardware fault?

I should add, I hardly use this phone. It gets very very light use as a second phone largely for gmail. I get 4-5 days out of it on standby - that's how little it's used!

Hope you can help me.

Cheers in advance
    ace

Advertisement

2. electribe

electribe Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2012
    ace571 likes this.
  3. ace571

ace571 Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks electribe.

It's almost certainly a screen problem and requires replacement. I have contacted Samsung direct and they are happy to look at it as the phone is covered by a 2 year warranty.

If your phone is less than 2 years old suggest you do the same.