1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Galaxy S SD Card type?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mdtolic, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mdtolic

mdtolic Guest

I'm a little confused about what to look out for when purchasing a MICRO SD Card. I did a search, but it didn't get me anything concrete. Apparently, a 16GB Micro SD card isn't just a 16GB Micro SD card. There are different formats? Some work for sone device but another may not? What works on a Galaxy S (Vibrant for me)? Is a "microSDHC

Advertisement

2. andy-roid

andy-roid Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    wombwell uk
    ive got a 8 gig micro sdhc in my galaxy s so i think a 16 gig micro sdhc will work in yours

bevbrown4 and kparacy like this.
  3. mdtolic

mdtolic Guest

Good to hear. Thanks

kparacy likes this.
  4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    The only ones that won't work are SDXC cards. All the rest will work.

5. mdtolic

mdtolic Guest

Ahhh. Thanks!

6. canoe

canoe Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Just make sure to buy a faster card. I've been told a class 6 or better are ideal for smart phones.

Lower class levels can apparently create problems if your trying to stream video or music.

mdtolic likes this.
  7. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK

8. mdtolic

mdtolic Guest

Excellent info here. Thanks all!

9. RichHarmer

RichHarmer Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I bought a 16gb Class 2 (SanDisk) for $28.. works fine for me.. streams audio and video just fine. If you want to pony up the $$ for a Class 6 it might help you later as we start loading apps onto SD.

10. mdtolic

mdtolic Guest

That explains the big price difference in the cards I'm seeng! Thanks Rich

11. hippo_potamus

hippo_potamus Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Unix Administrator
    Singapore
    I'm using 4G ScanDisk Premier SDHC and it always gets corrupted.
    Doesn't happen to the original Samsung 1G. Wonder why.

12. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Actually a class 6 will make no difference with apps running on the external SD Card. The Galaxy doesn't demand a large and fast enough buffer to task the card.
    As an example I've written HD video from the camera to a 16GB Sandisk Ultra Mobile, 16GB Class 6 Transcend & 32GB Sandisk Class 2 and there's no speed difference in writing/playing back the video file.
    The only place you will see any speed differences is when transfering data from a PC to the card.

13. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Jun 20, 2010
    Class 4 or 6 will be fine, class 2 if your on a budget... I've noticed the only 32GB cards I can find are class 2 atm and cost around

14. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Head Chef
    Worcester, UK
    i wouldn't buy that one from china there are so many fakes not around and also the other one appears to be in packaging so more inclined to think its real.

iuv likes this.
  15. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I got a sandisk 32GB class 2 card and it's working fine
    there is no reason to buy a higher class card unless you wanna brag about it in front of your geeky friends :p

16. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Correct.....and for everyone else, see post 12 above.

17. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    RE: the 32GB card being Class 2 and working fine - YES! Mine does too. Getting tired of responding to the copious misinformation about in-phone performance and these cards...

18. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Agreed... that is why I mentioned my post 12 above in hope others will see it has been mentioned before.

19. android2.0

android2.0 Member

Jul 7, 2010
    i bought a kingston class 4 8 gb for 20 dollars with life time warranty works superbly for me quite fast

20. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Head Chef
    Worcester, UK
    ordered my self a duracell 16GB today :D gonna fill it up!

21. RCinFLA

RCinFLA Member

Feb 9, 2011
    The issue with SD card speed is the phone (or host device) may think it is more capable then it is. The phone's processor hardware must have the buffer space and software to deal with the higher data class speed. Other things like PCB layout, software drivers, and other task running concurrently, can impact speed of data transfer.

A lot of folks have found issues on some phones when they buy a class 10 card. The phone's processor queries the card for speed class, and tries to transfer data at the SD card's capability.

An I.C. supplier (like Qualcomm chipset supplier) may test the speed at optimal conditions of the processor and software like solely exercising transfer with nothing else running on the processor and on a test setup hardware that is very clean on the SD I/O interface lines.

HD video is probably the most taxing for speed requirement. Class 2 card should be fine if video is H.264 (mp4) compressed and done at an appropriate quality resolution for the 800x480 LCD screen. (file size at about 1.5 GB for 2 hour movie).

Deinon likes this.