• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S vs Desire

I think the first iPhone had a very pretty chassis. The large finger touchscreen. Just a home button and that aluminium backplate.
Of course, I now think that one button isn't enough. I also believe in a back button and a contextual search button.
The iPhone 3G and 3GS were similiar to the the 2G but had the tacky shiny black plastic back cover which was curved.
The iPhone 4 looks handsome in the photographs. In reality the innards are the meat of the sandwich, the gorilla glass is the bread and the steel rim is the crust or something.
I knew Apple wouldn't increase the screen size. 4.1" would have been a big improvement.
Of course by crippling the size at 3.5" they are saying 'If you want a bigger screen then we have the iPad'.
Then there is the no multitasking, no OTA updates, no microSD, or replaceable batteries.
And I depise iTunes. Why can't I just copy and paste my stuff (or drag and drop) via Windows Explorer.
Why do I need a tacky piece of synthetic rubber around the edge to ensure my left hand doesn't jam the signal?
Why are they charging so much money for very basic online backup and syncing?
There is one area where the iPhone is strong and that is gaming.
But I am sure that WP7 will be 'The gaming Phone'.
I would like Google to move towards C and C++ in preferrence to Dalvik Java.
Anyway I enjoy my HTC Desire and hopefully we'll start seeing the big games appear on the market before Christmas.

Upvote 0
At the moment Desire but if Galaxy gets 2.2 before Q1 of next year, then galaxy.

Galaxy loses a lot because it is a Samsung, they are not reliable at all.

I wouldn't recommend Galaxy even from a long term point of view. They start lagging even more as they grow older (known fact, check it out on the galaxy sub forum here).

Also from my personal experience with the company, the phone's body will start to fall apart (I mean finishing, joints, buttons, etc) in about, oh, 6 months time. I'm really sure about this.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't recommend Galaxy even from a long term point of view. They start lagging even more as they grow older (known fact, check it out on the galaxy sub forum here).

Also from my personal experience with the company, the phone's body will start to fall apart (I mean finishing, joints, buttons, etc) in about, oh, 6 months time. I'm really sure about this.

Lol I haven't had a Samsung phone fall apart once, and my goes through heavy, heavy use. I've had several Samsung phones (not all smartphones) and build quality was NEVER a problem.

The lag issue, supposedly there's already been a fix for that released.

Upvote 0
Lol I haven't had a Samsung phone fall apart once, and my goes through heavy, heavy use. I've had several Samsung phones (not all smartphones) and build quality was NEVER a problem.

You must be one of the lucky ones.. :D

The lag issue, supposedly there's already been a fix for that released.

Yes, I had seen that. There are still reports of the lag when you install several applications.

Upvote 0
You must be one of the lucky ones.. :D

Yes, I had seen that. There are still reports of the lag when you install several applications.

Then it's probably a flaw in the application itself.

And going through over half a dozen samsung devices, and friends who've have dozens of samsung devices, none with build quality (durability) issues, means you would be one of the unlucky ones =P

Upvote 0
Then it's probably a flaw in the application itself.

And going through over half a dozen samsung devices, and friends who've have dozens of samsung devices, none with build quality (durability) issues, means you would be one of the unlucky ones =P

Could be.. Or maybe my country gets shipments from a different manufacturing unit of Samsung.. :(

Upvote 0
As a random aside, would any of you guys be tempted by the Galaxy S if you could get ahold of the Vibrant or the Captivate rather than the Galaxy S ?

I mean, same under the dash, but I think both of the carrier specific Galaxies are SO much better looking, especially the Captivate. Never going to see one this side of the atlantic but i'd definitely pick one of those up. It irritates me to hear a lot of people talking about how well this series does in benchmarks, but the stock Galaxy just puts me off so bad that I wouldn't want one.

I can live with touch wiz (or just get round it) if I could get a Captivate I think.

On a side note, almost all the droid stuff I can find to read is from the states, and they NEVER talk about phones this side of the pond, and frankly it breaks my damn heart to hear the buzz about the Droid X and the carrier specific Galaxies and know that its not even having to wait, CDMA only and anyone else can GTFO. Anyone know good sites for UK/EU droid stuff ?

Upvote 0
I have a HTC Hero and considering getting a new smartphone (android one). The iPhone is pretty nice but considering the price and the OS, I am definitely going for Android.

But, what is the best terminal I could get?

I would go for a SGS Captivate, that thing had 3 main reasons I want to upgrade: the big screen both in resolution and size and the touch buttons. Lets not forget the hardware, the processor runs incredible with media an gaming. It is an incredible media and web terminal but I'm afraid that Samsung will not keep up with the OS and UI (which btw kinda sucks, could be replaced by Louncher Pro and a different browser) updates. It's out of the question anyway because I can't get it in Romania.

The Nexus One still has all the 3 above mentioned needs of mine for the upgrade but it's still a bit to expensive and hard to get.

Where I live I can either get the SGS or the Desire.

I agree to LostAlon . That was really realistically thinking. The first thing I noticed when I switched to the Android platform was the bad apps-eco-system. It's difficult to keep up with the apps on iPhone OS.
I still droll after some apps like the new sequencer they have Nanostudio (btw, when am I going to see this on an Android, I'm getting the feeling the OS cannot handle this :| I'm considering saving for an iPad in this situation) ..
..but I still like this environment better, it fits me better so...

Desire will be it...
...would still love that Captivate maybe with HTC materials...
or might save for an extra iPad​

What would you guys get?

Upvote 0
I personally prefer the Desire over the Galaxy S but only by a bit.
First of all, the HTC Sense interface which comes by default on the Desire is awesome.
I dunno about you guys but prefer the HTC camera over the Samsung - to me it looks better. The Desire has more weight to it and therefore doesn't feel cheap. The Galaxy however, although looks pretty stylish in photos and videos, in reality feels very plasticy like the Tocco Lite and therefore makes it feel like a more budget-like smartphone. The trackball is a minus since now companies are relying more on trackpads, they last long-term, dirt won't get stuffed within the edges and it just feels more futuristic to have a sensor there than a scrolly ball. I do like the screen quality but I also agree that its a tad on the large side but I don't quite mind. The button are quite ugly but not much of a problem for me. Super AMOLED is obviously better than the Desire. Desire video camera is better cause 720p support is coming out on 2.2 (FroYo update) so it will make both cameras even. Android regularly come up with updates - Samsung regularly come up with tacky firmware updates. Looks too similar to the iPhone - Might not be a problem for those who can't afford an iPhone but I'd like Samsung to be a bit more creative and come up with a unique design like other companies have done.

With all that said, I dont say the SGS sucks, I just prefer the HTC overall since according to statistics, its said to be more powerful (dont we all love that) - and well, I think the Desire is more my thing cause of the Sense features thats exclusive to HTC handsets but the Samsung Galaxy S is a very strong competitor to the Desire though and I totally agree with many that the Samsung is a better device for a new guy to the smartphone community but overall the Desire does just fine for me.

One thing that bothers me with HTC in general is that their handsets just die. I mean they release a phone every month. The Desire's been hardly out for long and then the HTC Ace and whatnot are coming up in a few months so it makes the older handsets pretty obsolete but I wont be changing my Desire for another 5 or so years (provided it lasts that long, otherwise I'll revert back to my awesome Sony Ericsson K800i which is 100% reliable and has proven so by staying alongside me for the past 3 years) :)

Upvote 0
It is pretty clear that the last post (The Great One,adam_hilluk) are made from Desire users, without even reading the signature.

I really would like to believe that the Desire is better than the SGS but other than it's reputation (Samsung), build materials, lack of flash and bad GPS there isn't a good reason why not to get a bigger, better, more powerfull media-smartphone.

I don't think I will miss the extra buttons that much honestly.

BTW, did you know it does true Multi-Touch (desire does only dual).

And compare the specs a bit:

HTC Desire vs. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - GSMArena.com

Don't forget that you have a front facing camera. I can finally video-call my family without having enormous costs. It's 2010 for f** sake, this should have bee affordable at least a half of decade ago. The HTC Desire HD that some of you might wait for doesn't have a front camera nor a better processor. So other than better material, why wait.

Imagine this on your desktop or next to your bed:
http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Samsung-GalaxyS-16.jpg

Summing up the thing, there are more pros than cons for the SGS.

I don't like the home app, but that can easily be replaced by Luncher Pro which is really nicely designed.

Two things that I don't like and don't know if/how to change: The browser, and the support.

So I'll try to e-mail Samsung to see how well the customer service is. If they have a good support, I will definitely get the SGS over Desire (sadly leaving HTC)

Upvote 0
I don't need much of video power in my phone, and I can buy fast SD for extra storage.

Assuming this, I don't see really much of extra in Galaxy.

Of course, it looks tempting since I'm quite hardware perfection freak, but.. even Desire is little to big for me.

PS. The bad build of Samsung and almost 100% "no updates" strategy from this company makes me buy Desire. Plus, all my friends always complain that their Samsungs dies from hardware malfunction...

Upvote 0
It is pretty clear that the last post (The Great One,adam_hilluk) are made from Desire users, without even reading the signature.

I really would like to believe that the Desire is better than the SGS but other than it's reputation (Samsung), build materials, lack of flash and bad GPS there isn't a good reason why not to get a bigger, better, more powerfull media-smartphone.

I don't think I will miss the extra buttons that much honestly.

BTW, did you know it does true Multi-Touch (desire does only dual).

And compare the specs a bit:

HTC Desire vs. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - GSMArena.com

Don't forget that you have a front facing camera. I can finally video-call my family without having enormous costs. It's 2010 for f** sake, this should have bee affordable at least a half of decade ago. The HTC Desire HD that some of you might wait for doesn't have a front camera nor a better processor. So other than better material, why wait.

Imagine this on your desktop or next to your bed:
http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Samsung-GalaxyS-16.jpg

Summing up the thing, there are more pros than cons for the SGS.

I don't like the home app, but that can easily be replaced by Luncher Pro which is really nicely designed.

Two things that I don't like and don't know if/how to change: The browser, and the support.

So I'll try to e-mail Samsung to see how well the customer service is. If they have a good support, I will definitely get the SGS over Desire (sadly leaving HTC)

This is just my opinion dude. I prefer the HTC over Samsung in this case. I dont quite understand how it has a better processor. There very similar - and honestly, what is someone gonna do with 1Ghz? I think 500 itself is enough for me so I'm not gonna complain about that. The Desire clearly is still gonna need to clear up some stuff (btw no details about the Ace have been revealed so you can never know if it has a front-facing camera or not) . Desire also need inbuilt storage space since the iPhone, SGS and all new smartphones usually come up with a generous amount of space but even after all that, the Desire wins. I have nothing wrong with the Samsung, and in fact, if I was a casual user who didn't really care about the inside I would perhaps go for the Galaxy cause one problem I have with the Desire is that it heats up quite quickly when I run a few programs at once and I personally think thats kinda bad cause for a multitasking device, I wouldn't expect that but once again, just minor issues.

Desire all the waaaaay...

One more thing - dual touch or multi touch, who the hell cares?
Its not like we're gonna be using like freakin' four fingers to surf the net or something. Usually people use two fingers and therefore it gets the job done - once again, I dont have any issues with the screen stuff either. Samsung might have some extra features that the Desire doesn't, but at the end of the day, I think the Desire is giving you a better offer.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S quite clearly has the better hardware; that can't be disputed.

It has a superior CPU and GPU, a larger screen that is more visible in sunlight, more internal storage memory, more ROM, higher capacity battery, "true" multi-touch.

But for me it's all about the software.. and you really can't beat sense imo :D It's so intuitive.

Nokia have been at the forefront of mobile hardware for as long as I can remember, but their software has never been anything to write home about.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S quite clearly has the better hardware; that can't be disputed.

It has a superior CPU and GPU, a larger screen that is more visible in sunlight, more internal storage memory, more ROM, higher capacity battery, "true" multi-touch.

But for me it's all about the software.. and you really can't beat sense imo :D It's so intuitive.

Nokia have been at the forefront of mobile hardware for as long as I can remember, but their software has never been anything to write home about.

But most this stuff doesnt matter. If we're gonna talk stats here, then we can never choose the ideal phone. Its gotta be first-hand experience which does the talking. Have you used a SGS? You might've noticed the difference in just using the touchscreen that there is a fair difference. THe Desire to me seem to be a more reliable phone after using. I'd also prefer having a better looking phone (The Desire) than the SGS. But all that said, I dont think the SGS is a bad phone. It's good, but hardware speaks nothing. There almost identical.

Upvote 0
But most this stuff doesnt matter. If we're gonna talk stats here, then we can never choose the ideal phone. Its gotta be first-hand experience which does the talking. Have you used a SGS? You might've noticed the difference in just using the touchscreen that there is a fair difference. THe Desire to me seem to be a more reliable phone after using. I'd also prefer having a better looking phone (The Desire) than the SGS. But all that said, I dont think the SGS is a bad phone. It's good, but hardware speaks nothing. There almost identical.

I've never used a Galaxy S. All I said was that it had better hardware, nothing more nothing less. I never said that fact made it a better phone than the Desire :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones