• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S won't boot: can't mount sdcard, mmcblk0p2

Nynte

Lurker
Sep 15, 2011
Hey,

A friend gave me his Galaxy S after another friend of him got it into this following state (I'm not sure what exactly he did or tried to do):

The phone is stuck in a boot loop, sometimes it shows the first frame of the boot animation for a second before booting again. When I start it in recovery mode (Android System Recovery (3e)) I get this error messages:
Code:
-- Copying media files...
E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)
E:copy_dbdata_media:can't mount /sdcard
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu
for format and reboot actions
The phone does not have an SD card in it.

After reflashing with the same firmware as original, I get these errors:
Code:
-- Copying media files...
E:failed to mount /sdcard (File exists)
E:copy_dbdata_media:can't mount /sdcard
your storage not prepared yet. please use UI menu
for format and reboot actions
meida files copy failed.

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
E:format_volume: rfs format failed on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
Formatting /dbdata...
Formatting /cache...
Deleting Meta Data
Data wipe failed.
I've tried flashing different firmwares too, including rooted ones, and the results were the same except for a case where the first error was about not being about to mount mmcblk0p1 instead of sdcard, and another case where another firmware cause the phone to appear to boot, but after a minute or too it got stuck on a black screen and stopped responding.

I followed many different guides on how to fix similar problems, but none of them actually worked.

Please help, thanks a loooot in advance. :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones