• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S10 Needs Factory Reset - Can't See Screen

Hi,
I have a Galaxy S10 that I'm trading in. It's been deactivated and I'm trying to do a factory reset.
The problem is, the screen flickers and does not stay on, so I can't even get to reset using the buttons.
Is there a way to connect via a cable and delete or reformat the phone? They may not give me my trade-in value if I do not do a factory reset the correct way?
I do have a really strong magnet.
Any info will help, thanks.

Hi,
I have a Galaxy S10 that I'm trading in. It's been deactivated and I'm trying to do a factory reset.
The problem is, the screen flickers and does not stay on, so I can't even get to reset using the buttons.
Is there a way to connect via a cable and delete or reformat the phone? They may not give me my trade-in value if I do not do a factory reset the correct way?
I do have a really strong magnet.
Any info will help, thanks.
You could use a screen mirroring program, that would make your phone screen appear on your computer. Then you can view it and control it with a mouse. But that would require that the screen be usable long enough for you to enable USB Debugging on the phone and then allow on the pop-up prompt when the mirroring program attempts to connect

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
A magnet isn't going to help: for one thing, it doesn't have a magnetic hard drive but uses solid state storage, so the magnet wouldn't erase it, and for another if the magnet were able to erase it it would also erase the operating system so wouldn't be doing the reset "in the correct way".

If you have USB debugging enabled you could install adb on a computer and use that to boot the phone into recovery. If your bootloader was unlocked you could install fastboot on a computer and use that to erase the /data partition (which would be equivalent to a factory reset). But if your screen doesn't even allow you to boot into recovery and select the reset from there you won't be able to enable either of those things.

If you have Google's "find my device" enabled you could use the "remote reset" function from a web browser to erase the phone. That may be your best bet.

BUT the proper way to reset for resale is to remove your Google account first, then reset it. If you don't do that nobody will be able to use the device without your Google username and password. So the remote reset may not solve your problem after all.

Whether a dead screen will affect your trade-in will depend on the policy of whoever you are trading in with. One of my brothers got a trade-in from Apple for an iPhone that had been dropped in a car park, driven over, thrown onto a verge and rained on: although the screen was crushed and dead it would still boot up, so met the criterion Apple had set and they honoured it. It really depends on what condition they require.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the input. While at the store, the rep saw what my screen was and wasn't doing and still put in for some trade-in value.
Spoke with Tech support today, and got more from the forum here.
I'm going to stop by the VZ store tomorrow to see if they can reset it. I don't think the trade-in was that much, I may just keep the phone and see what it will cost to get the screen fixed, or if I can fix it.
Yesterday was pretty funny, the screen on the old phone was flickering on and off, back and forth, but I was still able to use a cable and Samsung Smart Switch (or whatever they call it) to transfer everything to the new phone.....it wasn't pretty (and not for the faint hearted) but it worked out.
Thanks for your input everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones