1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S2 - Android 4.0.3 bugs ... Anyone experience this ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LexG, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LexG

LexG Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Hi all,

Since updating my SGSII from 2.3.6 to android 4.0.3 (original samsung version : I9100XXLPS [through Kies]) I have been experiencing the following annoying things :

1. The phone ramdomly freezes. This happens every week or so. The screen just goes black and I can do nothing. Not even reboot or restart. The phone is dead for around 5 minutes untill it will allow me to switch it on. From the looks of it, some kind of program crashes (this thing is a little windows like) but I have no way of telling what it is, since it happens ... and I'm done ...

2. After re-charging the phone fully, it forgets my brightness (display) settings. For instance automatic brightness, which I have normally switched on is switched off and I have to switch it back on manually every time. Also, the screen time-out setting is back to 15 seconds while I always put it on 30 seconds.

3. The phone's touchscreen is less responsive than with 2.3.6 at times. I sometimess press a menu item and it feels as if the phone doesn't 'catch my finger' ... really stupid to say the least because I don't like feeling that I am back on a samsung Jet ...

Anyone of you have experienced these annoying issues with 4.0.3 as well ? Or even better : does anyone know any solutions ?

Thanks,
    Lex

Advertisement

2. apk x64

apk x64 Member
    None

Apr 18, 2012
    in mys sg2 i have no. 2 and 3 problem plus it takes around ~5 seconds to screen to show up after clicking menu button from lock screen.

3. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    disabled carpenter
    Columbia, MO.
    It's fascinating to me that everybody is rush-rush-rush to get 4.0 when there are 100's of posts about all the bugs ICS has.
    Is it actually worth it?
    I'm glad T-mobile is taking their sweet-a$$ time to get it. By the time I can get it, it may actually be bug-free enough to be worth updating to it.
    Because right now, it sure doesn't seem like the pros out weigh the cons.
    What does ICS offer that is causing the frenzy?
    Name one thing, one reason, that ICS has/does better than glitch-free 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 or 3.0?
    Anybody? Anything?
    Not dissin' anyone, and sorry it looks looks I am. I just wish I knew what the big deal is.
    The stampede to get it, knowing its plagued with problems, is a total loss to me.
    I just don't get it.

4. LexG

LexG Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    @sleedeane :

I really don't know why you say 'everybody is rushing' to get android 4. Do you have any idea when android 4 came out ? It's hell of a long time ago already and samsung really took their time in bringing it to the SGS2. So, it's been out for quite a while and since the nexus already had it for a while it's safe to assume that it should work relatively error-free. Nobody should expect these bugs ...

Also, all I've read about ICS was good before I updated. For instance that it would make the battery last a little longer ... By the way. The reason Tmobile hasn't put it out yet is probably because the still need to brand the software ... which is all ..

Lex

5. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    disabled carpenter
    Columbia, MO.
    The bugs are to be expected as evidenced by the countless complaints in these forums about the numerous bugs everybody that has been able to update is experiencing, save the Nexus. By rush r-r, I'm referring to the numerous threads dedicated to (esp) S2 and several others expressing their desires and frustrations and speculations about when and why will 4.0 hurry up and get here.
    Then those same people end up in the complaint threads when they finally do get it.
    I'm just saying only a few of us think that the update shouldn't have even been released at all until they solve all the glitches that I read so much about.
    And, for the third time, I'm asking what it is about ICS that people find so appealing. What does it do, besides facial unlock and the ability to disable craptory bloat, that its so darn good about it.
    It's not faster, smoother, easier, bigger, or better looking than what I have right now.
    Oh. There are a few apps dedicated to ICS. That's a big one.

I'm not bashing anybody. I want my ICS too. But I have no problem waiting for as long as it takes for t-mobile to get it. I figure the longer, the better.

6. RCC64

RCC64 Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    UK
    Hi LexG

I updated my Galaxy S2 from Gingerbread to android 4.0.3 (original samsung version : I9100XXLPS [through Kies]) just last night and I am really disappointed with it
    • like you I sometimes feel the touch screen is less responsive than with Gingerbread
    • I was expecting a whole raft of new features like resizable widgets, new lock screen, home screen folders, upgraded camera, etc...
    • only new features I have, seem to be a new task manager and a new UI for settings
    I'll give the Android 4.03 a week to see if there are any other bugs besides the touch reponsiveness then consider rolling back.

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The problem with full OS updates is that its rarely without bugs when you do an update, mainly because there are left over files from apps before that may conflict with the new system. The best practice is to do a hard reset before updating, and after updating, then restoring your settings and files.

RCC64 likes this.
  8. dzingo

dzingo Lurker
    None

May 7, 2012
    I've just installed it and I must say it's piece of S...t!
    my S2 is turning off and on every 2 minutes
    I'm so angry

9. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    I heard doing a factory reset might fix some of these weird bugs.

Slug likes this.
  10. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
  11. Misterz2003

Misterz2003 Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Got Android 4.0.3 updated via Kies without even knowing it was a Android update (thought it was Kies related update). Not so fluid update, had to restart it many times, many glitches after update (described in this forum by others), and especially annoying difficulties in connecting to various wifi networks (telephone keeps G3 by default even if wifi networks availables).
    Reformatted to factory settings but could not reurn to Gingerbread Android.
    Android 4 now working much better after re-factory setting (lost all previous sms messages history though) but still issues with Wifi connections... Any solution?

12. misstrish

misstrish Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2012
    Utah
    Yeah my screen goes black all the time but the time, battery life, and signal still show up at the top and then the app I'm using will force close. Its super laggy, I'll touch something and it'll take my phone a while to register. I randomly lose service in areas that I've had service before, I'll have full bars and it still won't let me make a phone call, people aren't receiving my text messages and I'm not receiving phone calls. My data speeds suck and My battery life blows. Super unimpressed.

13. sleedeane

sleedeane Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    disabled carpenter
    Columbia, MO.
    It has done this to me (the black screen) for the first time today-twice. But I don't have ICS. I thought it was a juggernaut glitch (though its been flawless for 2 weeks now), but maybe not.
    So it might not be an ICS thing either.

14. dankomba

dankomba Lurker
    None

Jul 21, 2012
    F!@#$ hell! They should test the new Android version before releasing it!!! My Galaxy S2 is experiencing same problem - touch screen is less responsive and takes 5 seconds longer for menu to come up from locked screen.

15. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Android Expert
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Male
    Pursat, Cambodia
    I went ahead and moved this to the GS2 forum so it would get better attention from the most knowledgeable part of the AF community relative to the discussion. Hope this helps! ;)

16. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    The only problem I have is the Bluetooth streaming with my BMW headset, as it will play for about 10 minutes then the phone crashes, weird.
    Everything else is pretty much tha same as Gingerbread, although I did notice the screen looked better in GB?

17. gunnydb

gunnydb Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2012
    my does exACTLY the same thing. i did a factory restore on it, and it seemed to fix most of the problems, especially the black screen. factory restore however does not restore it back to ginerbread, it keeps the ics 4.0 for some reason

18. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Factory reset do not revert firmwares. You have to flash via ODIN if you want to go back, or bring to Samsung and get them to do it. And its a process not without issues.