• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2: "Android OS" battery usage 85%

LOL ironass, hes used the wave phone to take a photo of his sg2.

joshi* that usage screenshot is what mine looks like really, display using most power, its when your OS is chewing the juice something is going on.
for a start, get rid of Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender, they would chew more juice than what they claim to do.....secondly, if there is a samsung center near you, just take it in and get them to test it. i had same issue and they confirmed it was a dud battery sucking a higher than normal voltage, still waiting for it though so cant tell you yet of the difference.

the temp is normal, getting hot under load is not uncommon, its bad when its getting hot when NOT under load or so hot you cant touch it. mine go REALLY hot after about 1/2 hr on plants n zombies, but i could still hold it.(p.s. the CPU is near the camera, hence that warm spot)
1 days use to me is a stock SG2, hell i only get about 10-15 hrs out of my dud battery with everything off and doing bugger all.
lastly, ive turned my network to GSM only, stop it from searching and changing in auto mode, i reckon it helps life too.

:)

Installed as a stock widget is something called 'program monitor' it's like a task killer but only looks for the things you would ever want to kill (ie you can select exit all and everything will still work as it should, messages etc) anyways, what I found when I was letting my youngster play games on my s2 was that the phone would get really hot because he would play a game, get bored, press home, choose another game, get bored etc etc. program monitor when I checked it would show say 10 programs running all using cpu, hence hot phone, If i'm using the phone for gaming etc I always check program monitor reads 0 before choosing another game and the phone rarely gets hot (if you press back instead of home the program normally closes itself). Worth a try for those suffering with hot phone syndrome.

Upvote 0
My android OS was not running as high as others...it used to be around 50%. When I looked at teh power profile, I noticed that my phone was awake quite often even when the screen was off. I looked through my phone and found the culprit...Latitude! It was constantly updating my location and so I turned it off. The next day...my OS percent was down to 20% and the phone is awake only when the screen is turned on! I have autosync disabled but have the AP news and the weather widget running...

Upvote 0
I've been fiddling with the battery settings, disabled widgets, wiped the phone, bought several popular battery saving apps and tried every trick in the book, my experience has been that the number one drain on my phone (and i'm talking a change from ~2mA to ~200mA) is auto sync.

Coming from the BB world, it's frustrating to have to choose between having a decent battery life, or receiving emails in a timely manner.

Imap idle, which you can set with k-9 email (freeware) to push email to your phone, is in no way a battery drain.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-m...ife-disabling-backgr-data-but-push-email.html

The Blackberry is the most battery-efficient push email system, because when you receive an email the Blackberry server sends the phone a kind of sms which prompts it to connect to the server to retrieve the email. No email, no data nor battery used by the phone in checking the connection. The downside is that it requires a blackberry data plan (more expensive) and, as recently seen, if the Blackberry servers fail, you're stuck.

Also, last time I checked (don't know if things have changed since then but I doubt it), the BIS (blackberry internet service, I think: the option chosen by most private, non-enterprise users) only syncs incoming emails; it doesn't sync deleted nor sent emails: to get that, you need BES, which is waaay more expensive. To sum up: I prefer imap idle over blackberry by a mile.

Also note that imap idle is not supported by the iphone (which I find inconceivable).

I don't know how much battery other push systems (gmail, activesync, etc) consume.

Upvote 0
Yeah. My phone lasts me from 9 am. to around only 9 pm. I wish I got more out of it lol. I don't have any widgets running and I manual sync what I need. I even do juice defender.

I don't like apple, that ship has sailed for me a long time ago with the 3GS. Still keep it as an Ipod but that's all for that hunk of junk lol.

Guess I just worry about what made it jump from a low to high percentage out of nowhere lol.

Thank you for all of your help.

AJ

Upvote 0
I had this - sudden loss of battery life.
My problem was a "3d" wallpaper that, having previously been fine, upgraded itself and started asking me if I would like to download another "3d" wallpaper and at the same time seemed to spend most of the time connected to the internet - tw@ thing.
I installed this - androidfreeware.net/download-my-data-manager.html (I'm not allowed to quote the full link so you'll need to insert the w3 stuff).
If anything's showing strangely high activity uninstall it. It might cure it for you too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones