• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 battery woes after Android 4.0.3 upgrade

Mine was draining at a rate of about 8% an hour, even when I wasn't using it. It's now down to around 2%. The biggest drain I found was the Google+ account. I believe the constant syncing prevents the phone entering deep sleep mode. Go in to setting and accounts and see what account syncs you have set up and are using. Signing out of, and disabling Google+ made a big difference to me. Google+ is a part of ICS and I think that it is this that is causing the battery drain issues.

Upvote 0
Hi,

So it seems many of us have had the same problem. Since the upgrade to 4.0.3 my battery just drains. After 2 visits to Samsung and 2 new batteries I have isolated the problem to Exchange Activesync. If I disable my exchange account the phone runs normally. In fact if I sync contacts only with exchange it's fine. If I sync email and contacts it drains. Same problem for 4.0.3 and 4.0.4. I work for HP and our internal IT is telling us NOT to upgrade to 4.0.3.

So what is the consensus on the solution? Do I need to roll back to before 4.0.3? What's the best way to do that? Or is there a better solution than this?

Thanks,

Scott.

Upvote 0
Reading this thread one wonders; how come so many solutions for one problem!
I had the same experience and after reading this thread I checked settings/battery and found out that one application, Deja, that I was hardly using depleting 30% of the battery power. I guess it was trying to sync in the background or something. Of course the battery drainage was more than 30% but that was probably because it was preventing the OS from going into sleep.
I clicked on Deja in my battery report then clicked the Force Stop and voila I gained 8 to 9 times standby time, charging is faster and the set is cooler.
The wierd thing, I don't see any change in Deja's functionality.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I have a Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 International version and recently upgraded to Android 4.0.4. Around this time my Phone started draining the battery such that I barely lasted a working day. Before I could get 2 days out of the battery using Juice Defender Ultimate to meter it.

Going into Phone Settings/Battery and clicking on the graph that came up I could see that my phone was awake all the time and never entering sleep mode.

I thought it was the Samsung upgrade. When I found I couldn't go back I rooted my phone and tried a couple of ROMS until I found a good stock ROM from

S3Mods ICS ROM for Galaxy S2 i9100! [For Noobs] | Galaxy S2 Root

I had to search for a new ROM as when I rooted my phone I could not get a preview on Camera when taking Photos - so the original ROOT was not good, but the one above has returned good funtionality across the board and i still have ROOT access.

Yes Im a noob on rooting my phone, but not in using or resolving faults in Information Technology.

The new ROM initially fixed my Phone, but after all my Apps were back on; it was doing it again.

I then found an app called "BetterBatteryStatus" which has an option called "Alarms" (needs root access to work) which showed that my AVG "Antivirus & Security Pro" app was keeping the phone awake. I had set App Locker within the applications tool box to password lock some applications and this was causing the problem.

Answer: If you are using AVG the Applocker seems to have a bug where it is always checking stuff and keeps the phone awake (my view). Not using the app locker (clearing all the password protected apps) will fix it and give your battery life back.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones