• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S2 - CoPilot sat nav

I've upgraded to the SGS2 as I'm sick of my O2 XDA crashing and dont want to go down the iPhone 4 route as I had nothing but issues with the signal/external antenna etc...

On the iPhone & the XDA I had CoPilot sat nav which I found to be superb and wanted to see if I can get it for the SGS2 and also if anyone else is running it and how they find it?

I know the SGS2 has the Goole Maps but are they as good for post code to post code navigation etc...?

Thanks for all/any answers :)

Not sure why anyone would use anything other than google navigation when in your own network. Its simply brilliant.

Yes, you need a data connection to establish destination, but it doesn't use data throughout the journey.

I often drive in europe when I have no data connection and have thought about copilot, but think I'll wait for tomtom for android to appear.

Upvote 0
Not sure why anyone would use anything other than google navigation when in your own network. Its simply brilliant.

Yes, you need a data connection to establish destination, but it doesn't use data throughout the journey.

I often drive in europe when I have no data connection and have thought about copilot, but think I'll wait for tomtom for android to appear.

I'm not so sure about this. I tried it for the first time going to work the other day. It was only operational for 10 mins and it used up 2Mb of my data allowance. This seems excessive to me. Am I missing an option or something?

Upvote 0

Every bit of research that I've done suggests that this is simply not the case! There is plenty of evidence that Google Navigation can eat data. This may not be a problem in your home country where you have a generous data allowance but in a few days I shall be going to mainland Europe.

I will pay

Upvote 0
I got a question with CP, i have it on my phone and i think that it is great.
The question is whenever i put in a postcode i get a range of addresses, what do you guys do when you get these? I never know which one to choose as normally i do not know the road name and besides that i thought that a postcode was set to a street, not many streets. Do you all 'skip' this bit?
Lee

Upvote 0
well, I know for a fact that once you have started navigation, you can turn off mobile data and it will still work. So as I say once it has its destination found etc, you can turn off mobile data and it works as normal.

It will work up to a point. First of all you'll use data whilst is calculates the route and, if in a foreign country, this can vary from moderate to horrendously expensive.

You can then turn off data and just use GPS but, if you have to vary your route slightly or take a wrong turning, it has to recalculate, which it cannot do if data is turned off.

You are then faced with turning data back on, which may be dangerous whilst driving, and paying for more data whilst it recalculates.

GN is very good, of that there is no doubt, but it's pointless being blind to its one major disadvantage.

And that's why I and many others buy apps such as CoPilot!

Upvote 0
I got a question with CP, i have it on my phone and i think that it is great.
The question is whenever i put in a postcode i get a range of addresses, what do you guys do when you get these? I never know which one to choose as normally i do not know the road name and besides that i thought that a postcode was set to a street, not many streets. Do you all 'skip' this bit?
Lee

If you do not know the road name, how can you possibly find your destination? UK postcodes can cover more than one street but, even if they did cover just one street, if you haven't got the full address, you presumably don't know the house or building number so you're no better off.

I'm not sure how you can go anywhere without having the full address.

Upvote 0
I always thought that it was one post code per street, looks like i am incorrect :)

Conversely, I know examples of one street having three different post codes. There are some very long roads in some towns and many of them have more than one code.

The road that I live off is six miles long with the same name all along it! So your postcode may get you the the correct street/road, but you could still be many miles from where you want to be. All the more reason for having an exact address!

Upvote 0
If you do not know the road name, how can you possibly find your destination? UK postcodes can cover more than one street but, even if they did cover just one street, if you haven't got the full address, you presumably don't know the house or building number so you're no better off.

I'm not sure how you can go anywhere without having the full address.

Sygic has a ton of poi that you can search offline. They even organize the categories making it simple to find.

When I was in the states and didn't have data on, I was able to find my hotel by simply searching hotels in the city of interest.

Also, I think Sygic uses Tom Tom maps (read that somewhere).

Someone shared with me the apk so it was a no brainer to try the app on my trip. ;)

Upvote 0
Sygic has a ton of poi that you can search offline. They even organize the categories making it simple to find.

When I was in the states and didn't have data on, I was able to find my hotel by simply searching hotels in the city of interest.

Also, I think Sygic uses Tom Tom maps (read that somewhere).

Someone shared with me the apk so it was a no brainer to try the app on my trip. ;)

I'm not really sure what your point is here. I was replying to someone who complained that, when he put in a UK postcode it gave him more than one street.

My point was that if he doesn't have the full address, no satnav in the world will take him to it.

Yes, some places will be in your POIs (which CoPilot has in abundance by the way) but if you're looking for a person, or a small business, simply having a UK postcode will not necessarily enable a satnav to take you to the door.

If your destination is a POI, then why would you be inputting a postcode in the first place? You'd simply hit the POI and let your satnav do the rest!

Upvote 0
I'm not really sure what your point is here. I was replying to someone who complained that, when he put in a UK postcode it gave him more than one street.

My point was that if he doesn't have the full address, no satnav in the world will take him to it.

Yes, some places will be in your POIs (which CoPilot has in abundance by the way) but if you're looking for a person, or a small business, simply having a UK postcode will not necessarily enable a satnav to take you to the door.

If your destination is a POI, then why would you be inputting a postcode in the first place? You'd simply hit the POI and let your satnav do the rest!

My point was I did not have the hotel address and was able to find it offline because I forgot to write down the address prior to my trip.

Yes I can see how only having postal can be a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones