1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy S2 firmware update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Trekk, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Trekk

Trekk Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi,

I downloaded Odin went on XDA found the thread on firmware read it. I having an issue knowing exactly which new firmware I have to install. If someone can just guide me to the right one would be appreciated, don't want to download the wrong one and end up by crashing my phone lol.

I am running KE2 right now trying to update to KE7

Thank you

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well then look for XWKE7 Generic XEU. thats wat i installed. although may i ask why ur upgrading to KE7 which is a couple of months old, especially when there's a KG2 and KG3 running the new android 2.3.4? ;) if u dont want to use the leaked 2.3.4, there's still KF2 which is newer, and official

3. Trekk

Trekk Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Where do I find KF2 and I am worried of playing with phone to update 2.3.4

4. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I've just updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 KE1 and phone seems error several times/day, shouldI upgrade to KG2 or KG3 if it would work better and where to get official one?

5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

KE1 on 2.3.4? no i dont think so. KG2 was the first firmware to run 2.3.4 .. but yes, KG2 is very stable for me, i'd give that a shot if i were u

6. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Sorry, Its KG1 2.3.4 I'm confused with all these, updated coz I thought it will help with battery life, heat screen and get rid of pink spot but not different and got error few times/day also other few problems. Not sure if I should unroot or try KG2 as you suggested and if so then pls give me link for instruction etc. Thanks.

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well KG2 has helped my battery life a bit.. not as much as some, unfortunately.. but definitely better than KE7. heat issue is completely gone for me. and i never had a problem with the 'pink spot' but i think that was fixed in KE7 so KF or KG1/2 shouldnt have it. i suggest KG2. the instructions here should guide u to flashing KG2 (look for the frankenstein XXKG2 firmware) and then follow the root guide below to get back ur root

Tae likes this.
  8. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I'll try that later when I'm at home to connect wi-fi. Can you please advise if it's essential to do the root after update firmware. Somehow I think my phone gone funny as the result from rooting it. I don't know a lot about technical and that was my 1st time did it myself updated it and I was panicking whether I did something wrong... it might help if you tell me how to do screenshot so I can show you detail about my phone etc. All I want was to get rid of pink spot, battery last longer and no heat and it turned to be beyond my knowledge now. No idea of "superuser" is for and also what is "CWM"?? Thanks...really appreciated your help.

9. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

rooting shouldnt cause any problem. its dead simple and u probably didnt do anything wrong. but no, u dont need to root after u update. and removing the pink spot, heating issue, and even battery life is done by simply flashing the updated firmware (the first part of that guide that i linked). u dont need to do the root part. so i guess rooting isnt necessary for u.

to make a screenshot is super easy on the SGS2, just press the home and power button together, and ushould hear a camera click and it'll say the screenshot has been saved

superuser is an app that is installed when u root. it gives other apps 'root access', i.e. access to system stuff that android does not give by default.

clockworkmod (CWM) is a custom recovery which u can use to backup an image of ur current firmware (system data, apps, everything) and flash custom roms, among other things. hope that helps!

Tae likes this.
  10. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    You're a great help, I had Android since last year but only 1st time that I tried to play with it. So I think I won't be bother with rooting it. Will try update later and will let you know. Here's the info of my phone, let me know if you think there's anything I should do with it apart from update to XXKG2 as you suggested.

Android: 2.3.4
    Baseband version: I9100XXKG1
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE2-CL187606
    root@DELL101#2
    Build number:
    GINGERBREAD.XXKG1

11. thebakeman

thebakeman Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    I got my GS2 from Bell on the day of release. I read here about Android 2.3.4 on firmware KG2. I'm running KG2 yet my firmware is 2.3.3. Are there 2 different KG2's?

12. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    No idea with that but I'm sure there will be someone give you the answer. I have got it fron vodafone in uk and it was something BUKE...can't remember and no update avai from Kies. That's why I'm on KG2 2.3.4

13. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Quite possibly.... I know there are at least two KG1s in the wild, one 2.3.3 and another 2.3.4. Different carriers, different updates.

14. Tae

Tae Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Just update to KG3 now, all seems ok at the moment, finger crossed!! Thanks for your advice Heshanj, but sorry I jumped to KG3 instead of KG2 as u suggested.

15. thebakeman

thebakeman Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    I was at my local The Source store the other day. Guy working there told me they went for recent training on the GS2, and that the Bell rep already had Android 2.3.4 on their phone. He told me it will help the battery life a lot etc as we've been chatting about on here. He said since the Bell rep already has it, it should be real soon that we see it on Kies.

16. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

sorry i didnt check back on this thread. yes, there are two version of KG2, one is running 2.3.3 and the other 2.3.4. if u havnt already found out, there's the official KG5 firmware, thats running 2.3.4.. flash that, its very good. for the first time since early june (after trying around 5 different firmware updates) i finally noticed an improvement in battery life with KG5.

17. joeaw

joeaw Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Hi heshanj,

I need your help. Could you kindly upload the below files (that have already re-packaged into ODIN flashable files).

CODE_I9100XXKG5_xxxxxx.tar.m d5
    MODEM_I9100XXKG5_xxxxxx.tar.md5
    GT-I9100-CSC-xxxxxx.tar.md5

I have downloaded the XXKG5 files from xda-developer BUT the package contains files like boot, cache, factoryfs, hidden, modem, param.lfs, sbl and zImage of which I cannot flash with ODIN.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have XXKG5 on my SGS2.

Thanks.

18. steven338uk

steven338uk Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    hi there
    dont unzip the zip files they dont need unzipping just load them as they are ok
    steven338uk

joeaw likes this.
  19. joeaw

joeaw Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Where do I load them in ODIN? Is it under PDA?

When I do that(by loading the zip files into PDA and do a test start without my phone connected it comes out with the results

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Is this normal?

20. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i assume ts normal if u havent plugged in ur phone :D i dont have those files, nor do u need those files anyway :) like steven said, dont upzip the .tar file.. just add it to ur PDA on Odin, connect ur phone (ur phone should be in download mode).. when the ID:COM on ODIN turns yellow, click start, and it'll flash :) just to make sure u get the right one, this is the file u should download :)
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

i posted the guide in this thread, in post #7 plz check it out first if u havent already :)

joeaw likes this.
  21. joeaw

joeaw Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks for all your help! Now I get it. I can just straight away flash the zip files instead of trying to repackaged them into tar.md5 files like I used to with the previous version of firmwares upgrade. Successfully flashed XXKG5 into my phone now. :)

So, is XXKG5 good? What I was looking for is to improve my battery duration.

22. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well u'll find out how good it is soon :D the only problem i have with KG5 is they removed google video chat (KG2 had it) but for better battery life, KG5 has been the best for me. i was barely about to go thru a single day (14-15 hours) of average use without getting a low battery warning. now i can go thru 16 hours of very heavy usage.. and yesterday, i managed to go thru 24 hours with plenty to spare.. an hour of charge and i stretched it to nearly 40 hours.. thats pretty much 2 days.

23. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK
    I'm quite baffled by all this :S

I've downloaded the Odin software so far. The next step is very confusing for me though - which firmware do I download?

I'm in the UK on o2 (if this matters) and I want a stable 2.3.4 update. All the KG2 & KG5 numbers seem so random that I dont know where to start.

Would appreciate some guidance please :)

24. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    UK
    1. go here:

[ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 Download - xda-developers

2. scroll down to this bit:

XXKG5
    Firmware info

PDA:XXKG5
    PHONE: XXKG5
    Date: 27/07/2011
    Android 2.3.4
    OXA Poland: http://www.multiupload.com/W5EX7FO1YY
    XXKG5 Stock Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/VB3V2ZZ4GW
    Password: intratech@XDA

3. Save the file on the OXA Poland link

4. Double click on the saved file and it will extract the .tar file you need automatically.

5. Start Odin and put this extracted file into the PDA box and flash.

Job done, you'll be enjoying 2.3.4 with great battery life. You'll lose no data/settings. Easy as....

Tae and madgpol like this.
  25. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK