1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy S2 has a really bad email client - Galaxy S1 had a better one - my findings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by silicuda, Aug 12, 2011.

1. silicuda

silicuda Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    I just upgraded to Galaxy S2 from an S1. Everything is better, except for the Email cliient.

On the S1 the stock Mail client that came with the phone allowed me to check mark next to each email, then click menu>more and mark selected as READ.

On the S2 this email client is not the same, it is different and it doesn't have this mark selected as read option under the MORE tag.

So I am wondering if I can take the mail client from the S1 and put it on my S2, because the S2 ones has limited functionality.

If yes, anyone know what is the version of the mail client that runs on the S1?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. silicuda

silicuda Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    bump, anyone know how i can put the old email client on my s2 that's on s1?

3. mrterry

mrterry Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    you might be able to swap them, if you are rooted, and can find the .apk somewhere. However, the differences in software may be enough that it isnt functional on the S2. I would imagine that being rooted would be the only way you could even attempt this.

4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the Tax man
    Cotswolds, England
    Just install K-9 email that does exactly what you want and is free from the Market.

5. Puccagirl

Puccagirl Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    System Admin
    Cloverdale, BC

I didn't like the stock email client... I tried K-9, which is ok, and ended up with Kaiten.

However, I wish that the notifications for it could show up under one place like the stock one did.

6. suyashjaiswal

suyashjaiswal Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2012
    Hi,

I have added my gmail address to the stock email app that is available on Samsung Galaxy S II. I have set this as the premium account, and this is the only account that i have added to the email app. My problem is:-

Whenever i send an email from here, the sender name is displayed as ####@gmail.com (#### = my gmail username), instead of my own name. While setting up this account, i had mentioned my full name under the "Display name" and "account name" options, but in spite of this, my email address (and not my own name) gets displayed in the "from" field while sending out emails.

Please help !

7. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    It doesn't happen on mine, but not sure where in the settings in can possibly be. Although I also have GoEmail, and I know there is a setting there for what you want. The reason why I don't use GoEmail because it can't specify peak and off peak hours for push and manual retrieval of emails.

Cheers