• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 is NOT USB TETHERING ANYMORE :(

shocksl

Jul 8, 2013
kay guys I am using a Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2, on gingerbread.

I use it for tethering... Unfortunately the wirless tehering on it has always been crap, as it drops after a while and I need to restart it every so often. So I never tether with it Wireless for that reason.
However the USB tethering has always been FLAWLESS. Never had a problem, doesnt drop connection etc. Just recentlly it wont allow me to connect via USB anymore. The 'USB tethering' under the Tethering and hotspot option is greyed out. So I can't check it anymore :(
Also when i connect the USB to my PC, the phone charges etc , but it wont allow me to access the stuff of my phone via the computer.

I have Kias installed on my machine (which I re installed a couple of times)
I have tried 3 different USB Cables, they all work
I have master factory resetted the phone on 2 occasions.
I have tried on a different USB ports and different computers.
I have tried using with / without USB debugging

I am still facing the same problem :(

Could anybody please shed some light on how to resolve this issue??

Upvote 0
My phone is locked on 3G so If i do that. then I wont be able to use my sim

Can someone tell me how to do everything . I.e go back to factory settings from reverting to stock as u have said above.. to redoing the Root, so this time I can have Jellybean or something and my phone can unlock again....

If someone can show me step by step. ( or just post the links I will need to follow). I will be grateful

Upvote 0
Your phone is carrier unlocked, even if you restore it completely it will remain unlocked. I don't know if you will have to apply APNs manually for 3G to work but it should be able to load these settings from the SIM card (I deal mostly with CDMA phones).

Did you follow a guide kinda like this one to unlock the phone?
I will also need the model # from the back of the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2024514

Reactions: shocksl
Upvote 0
Yes you had to root it in order to run the software that performs the unlock. I've attempted the procedure before. It permanently unlocks the phone. In this case I can even assume root is unnecessary for you to have unless you are using it for some other purpose. Just use the guide I posted to restore the phone. It should update it to Jellbean & correct any problems. Once you have completed the guide post back and I will give you further instructions on rooting your device if you need it done. & please let us know how it goes.

Edit: Have you tested your phone on any other computers to make sure it wasn't an issue with your computer and not the phone?

Here's another guide...
http://www.thegeekcubes.com/how-to-update-samsung-galaxy-s3-gt-i900-with-jellybean-4-1-2/

Reactions: shocksl
Upvote 0
Just a quick update!! after a couple of restarts, it has finally started to work again! Thanks a billion guys for your help. 'stocking' the phone has deffinately done the trick!!!

I love the new Jellybean firmware on it. Only downside is that when I put Youtube on for a song, then if I press the right handside button to take the screen off. the youtube song video would also stop playing.... but I am not complaining!

it's great thanks!

Reactions: geofferey
Upvote 0
Just a quick update!! after a couple of restarts, it has finally started to work again! Thanks a billion guys for your help. 'stocking' the phone has deffinately done the trick!!!

I love the new Jellybean firmware on it. Only downside is that when I put Youtube on for a song, then if I press the right handside button to take the screen off. the youtube song video would also stop playing.... but I am not complaining!

it's great thanks!

[RANT]Why do people insist on using YouTube, a video service, for music or audio? It is such a waste of bandwidth if you don't plan on watching the video anyway. My wife does that too, I almost want to block YouTube from her computer, or make a redirect rule to a music service (Google Play, Pandora or something) from her computer.[/RANT]

Not sure why people were suggesting a problem with bandwidth limits though, how would a bandwidth limit prevent accessing the files on the phone while connected to the PC with USB (it wouldn't). The problem clearly was that the phone was not recognizing the data connection to the PC, just seeing the power from it. Glad you got it sorted though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones