• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2- issues with microUSB/Charging/Connectivity

Mindfields

Lurker
Jan 5, 2012
Hi,
I've been using the Galaxy SII for about a couple of months, running flawlessly till date, but all of a sudden the microUSB connector has started giving some problems.

1. The phone shows 'Charging' even when there is NO cable connected at ALL.

2. The charging status goes on/off randomly without any connectivity.

3. MTP starts to initialise at random.( Images attatched ) and the media scanner keeps popping up.

4. Battery has no issues, charges properly when i actually connect a CHARGER.

5. The phone does not switch off completely, a battery symbol, similar to the one that shows when charging, keeps recurring even with no charger connectivity.

Is it something to do with the OS? or the hardware? Any kind of help would be deeply appreciated. Thank You.

PS: I have attatched some of the screenshots.

Attachments

• SC20120105-135446.jpg
    SC20120105-135446.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 60
  • SC20120105-135459.jpg
    SC20120105-135459.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 57
  • SC20120105-135512.jpg
    SC20120105-135512.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 59
  • SC20120105-135522.jpg
    SC20120105-135522.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 59
Wow....that's weird...it could probably have something to do with an app you installed recently....try uninstalling all 3rd party Apps and see if this problem persists...if its still there , try a factory reset...if its still there, then it's time to visit the service center

Upvote 0
There is another thread on here about this. Many other people have the same problem including me. Mainly I get the charging icon appearing when the phone is not even plugged in. I've found that cleaning the usb port or wiggling the usb plug gently seems to get rid of it.
Its a faulty usb port, I'm just waiting for the problem to become worse then i'll be sending it back.

Reactions: Mindfields
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot guys, i cleaned the USB port thoroughly with some comp. air and alcohol. Everything seems O.K. now, except for a weird problem with mass storage, Windows is unable to recognize the device whenever i try to connect it in storage mode.
I've tried changing cables, re-installing drivers, even tried the same thing on other PCs with no luck whatsoever.

Upvote 0
If problem persists, then bring it to your retailer and get it checked out. Apparently some of the posters mentioned they managed to get the service centers to replace that USB part or something like that and it works after that. Its probably a poorly design/manufactured part. Most likely manufactured since not everyone have the same problem.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones