• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S2 Jig help/advice

Dobbler

Lurker
Dec 23, 2011
Hi guys.

This is an awesome forum. It helped me a TON rooting my phone and putting a custom rom on it. Thanks for all the help.

I just have a couple questions. I have looked online and can only seem to get bits and pieces, so I just wanted to hopefully clarify a few things.

Firstly, my specs ( post root and custom rom ):
Galaxy S2 ( vodacom )
Checkrom RevoHD V4 ( 2.3.6 )
Siyah GT v2.5
KI4
( I hope that's helpful )

I have backups of everything just after rooting before flashing the rom with clockworkmod and backups with titanium. I used S2 Root so I believe I can unroot with that if needed.

Everything has gone perfectly so far and I'm loving my first custom rom on my new phone :)

I received my USB Jig today and I was hoping it would get rid of my custom rom count and the yellow triangle.

I plugged it in while the phone was off ( also took out the battery for a minute before doing this ) . Plug in the Jig and it boots the phone into Download mode. However my custom rom counter still says 3 and custom firmware etc.

I was reading that the new bootloader in the newer roms has prevented using the USB jig and that I should get a certain file, flash it, then the jig will be able to work. This is where I get confused. The thread I was linked to to get the files is MASSIVE and I have no idea what file I need for my phone atm.

Also, the files I was checking out are about 270mb or so. It this a complete rom that will replace Checkrom and erase my data ?

What I am trying to do is remove the custom rom counter and the yellow triangle while still running Checkrom RevoHD 4. Is this even possible or am I thinking about it the wrong way ?

I realise the yellow triangle and custom rom counter is not doing anything bad to my phone and that I would only need to remove them to take my phone in for repair. But if it's possible I would like to do it because I am a perfectionist like that ( or OCD however you want to see it :p ) .

I tried restoring my image with clockworkmod to the original image just after rooting ( with original stock rom ) just to test the jig on that and it still does the same thing. boots but the custom counter is still there, so I am worried I wont be able to remove it even if I do need repair in the future.

I am very new to "rooting stuff" ( and this is my first android phone ), so any help and advice would be most appreciated. Thanks for your time and patience.

How did you root your device?
I would suggest re-rooting it with ChainFire's CF-Root
This will root with the old bootloader, so your jig should work,
Re-root, power off, stick in the jig and see what happens.

If it still doesnt get rid of the yellow warning triangle then you probably have a duff jig.

If all is well, you will have to reflash your siyah kernel. This will not affect your flash count and will not re-introduce the yellow triangle.

Upvote 0
Hi hawker,

Thanks for the swift response !

I Rooted using Odin3 1.83 and S2 Root.exe

I was actually going to use CF-Root originally but I was so confused by the masses of information and I found a really nice step by step guide using the S2 Root.exe method and I'm not experienced at this.

Update:

OK so I am impatient bastard so while I was waiting for a reply I been restoring and wiping and restoring like crazy and I managed to get a bootloop when I flashed on the stock samsung rom and kernel. lol.

I flashed ( odin ) the secure Kernel i got for those instructions i used ( GT-I9100_XWKI4_original.tar ) and the phone came back to life and looks factory stock except for the Vodacom image is missing from the boot sequence ( lol ).

I thought now let me try the Jig and it totally worked ! reset counter and everything.

So now..... do I re-root from scratch using CF-Root then restore my latest rom image with clockworkmod ? Or do I need to do a clean install of the Rom ( Checkrom ) and then restore my apps with titanium ?

Thanks again for the help !
It's a pain sometimes but I really do enjoy my phone in it's customised state.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones