• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 Low on space & not enough storage error (SOLVED)

A simple way to free up storage space is by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on your phone and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4 gig of space after doing this.
Just joined the legions of folks registering to thank stu40 for this fix. Absolutely brilliant. Many thanks!

Reactions: zain111
Upvote 0
While none of the above solutions worked for me (Didn't want to do a a wipe/fresh install again), it did help me find a solution.

If you have root, get a file manager that will allow root access, (I used the one that comes with Cyanogenmod aptly named "File Manager").

Browse to /data/log and delete everything in there, not the folder itself, just all the contents. I had over 750 logs in there, all exactly 1mb.

Now I've got 1.2gb free, yay!

Thanks to everyone, I never would have found that or known it was safe to delete without some of the info provided in this thread. I also just created an account to share and say thanks.
Yes! My phone (rooted with a custom rom) didn't support the MMI code, but boom boom I used Root Explorer to browse to data/log, select all, delete. Done. Simple when you know how. Thank you everyone on this thread :)

Upvote 0
I have had this problem for more than a year. Every time I have spoken with Samsung or the Network Provider, I have been told that no such problem exists and that I should take the phone to a Samsung Repair Centre. Today, at the Samsung Call Centre, I got the same response and when I asked for the call to be escalated , I was informed that they did not have staff to deal with it. I have spent thousands of Pounds on Samsung Mobiles, Laptops, Smart TV's, Printers etc., to get this kind of service?

I have just followed the above advise and within a minute the device memory available space has increased by 1.5 Gig.

Thank you very much for a very simple and quick solution which Samsung nor the Network Providers have not been able to sort out for more than 1 year.

Upvote 0
First of all, I too must count myself among those who registered to use this forum just to express my thanks to @stu40 for the neato solution! Unfortunately I didn't experience anywhere near the dramatic memory recovery that others posted - it only freed up about 30 MB of space for me! *headdesk* Ultimately not enough for me to proceed with installing updates to about 5 apps on my phone. None of them updated.

I really didn't want to invest the time resetting my phone to factory default just to free up a little bit of space, so I deleted some apps I just wasn't using *lesigh*, and uninstalled updates to some Google apps I wasn't using. I guess it's time to upgrade. In the meantime I'll just put up with the limitations of my phone as best I can. Still, I appreciate knowing that code in case I need to use it in the future.

I am also curious to know what else I can do to free up space on the Device Storage without any dramatic partitioning.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, my phone has the same issue as most of the ones listed above.
I don't know a lot about phone technicalities, but this is my info:
Device memory:
Total Space- 1.97GB
Applications- 1.65GB
Available- 211MB
USB Storage:
Total Space- 11.26GB
Applications- 2.03GB
Pics/Vids- 1.44GB
Audio/music- 2.78MB
Downloads- 108MB
Miscellaneous- 0.99GB
Available Space- 6.88GB
SD card:
Total Space: 14.83GB
Available Space: 4.67GB

I tried moving files from the device to the sd card, but the available space only lasted for a small period of time.
I don't have an abundance of applications or music, and I clear up memory by uploading photos/vids onto the computer every once in a while.
This storage issue prevents me from: downloading new applications, downloading music, updating applications, and so on.
I have watched numerous YouTube videos and looked at tons of Q&As regarding this problem, but none of them provided a solution.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?:thinking:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
P.S: I have used the *#9900# idea as well, it doesn't help :(

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I found this site whilst (like everyone else) i was looking for a solution to the 2gb limit on the S2. Sadly i have Cyanogenmod 11 so stu's solution wouldn't work for me.

I went back (again.....) to google and came across a site where it offers a solution by repartitioning the drives to larger sizes, so you can have a 6gb drive instead of a pathetic 2gb!!!

As far as i can gather this will work on newer versions of android as the original limit of 2gb was needed by the original version that was on the S2 at release time.

I haven't done this yet but i will probably do it over the weekend but i thought i would post it here in case it helps anyone else. Once i do it i will post the results back here for you. BTW, please read the comments on the page as well.

Secc

Upvote 0
Hi all,
I bit the bullet today and tried the method to increase my storage and........it WORKED!!!!

A bit of info regarding my set up:
I already had CWM installed so i didn't need to do that step. I was running Cyanogenmod 11 nightly.
Before i started i took a backup using CWM onto my SD card - just in case. I also backed up my contacts seperately and a few files i wanted to my SD card.

My process:
I removed my SD card just in case anything messed with it. As i already had CWM etc installed i just loaded Odin 1.85, put my phone in download mode and connected to my PC, Odin recognised straight away. Then i loaded the *.pit file (i chose the 6gb one) and hit start (and prayed like mad!!!)

All went well, Odin showed 'PASS' and my phone restarted, i disconnected the USB and once my phone restarted i went straight to storage - it was still showng the 2gb drive!
As i had read all the comments, this didn't worry me too much. I booted back into CWM and formatted it (you will lose your data files here - hence my backups). All went well, reboted and checked storage. Now my 2gb drive is a 6gb drive
icon6.gif
- BUT....my internal staroge was not showing......so i formatted that andd BINGO, i now have a 6gb internal storage and an 8gb storage drive
cool.gif

Now this did work for me but i make no guarantees it will work for you so try it at your own risk - MAKE SURE YOU DO ALL BACKUPS FIRST.
Sorry for the long post but i wanted to explain what worked for me.
Best of luck.

Here is the link for the site with the info and partition files etc:
http://techotv.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-internal-storage-apps-space-tutorial/

Reactions: filbert
Upvote 0
A simple way to free up storage space is by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on your phone and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4 gig of space after doing this.
I cannot find a way to express my gratitude stu40. It saved me 800MB of memory and I was able to install an application for my son!!!!

Upvote 0
You absolute star Stu40. Why don't the handset manufacturers offer this solution!!
I too joined Phandroid just to say thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones