1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Galaxy S2: No update ever available for Android 2.3.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wildetudor, Apr 14, 2012.

1. wildetudor

wildetudor Member

Hello everyone,

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S2 for half a year now, but every time I check for OS updates, it says no updates are available (the version that it came pre-installed with is Android 2.3.3)

My phone was initially on O2, and has been rooted shortly afterwards. I am aware that even when newer versions of an OS are available, they may not necessarily always be available for any phone model on any operator in any country, however it's been a while since Android 4.0 has been released, and I don't quite understand why it hasn't yet been pushed to S2 phones on the O2 UK network.

Could this be related to my phone having been rooted? Is there anything else I can try to upgrade my OS to v4.0?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. triforceguy1

triforceguy1 Newbie

Have you tried doing it through Kies? Apparently O2 hasn't supported for OTA updates, even then, kies keeps saying to me my device doesn't support updates, and I've done nothing to it :/

3. wildetudor

wildetudor Member

Many thanks for suggesting this - it seems that, via Kies, an update is indeed available, specifically "PDA:LP3/PHONE:LPR/CSC:LP4 (O2U).

I just wonder whether upgrading will mean un-rooting the phone. I remember I spent quite a lot of time rooting it after buying the phone, and I'd rather not go through that again, if at all possible... :)

4. Sword Fish

Sword Fish Android Enthusiast

Yes you will loose root if you update. Rooting is very easy. What issues did you have?

5. wildetudor

wildetudor Member

many thanks for your reply Sword Fish. I don't thnk there were specific issues, it just took me a while to read about the proper way to do it for my particular phone model, whether there were any risks, etc. I guess, though, that it should take me a lot less to do it again, and I'm sure the upgrade to 4.0 will make it worth while

6. Nehrist

Nehrist Lurker

Hi.
    You can upgrade your phone to the official android version 4.0.3 by following this link:
    http : // forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

At that page select latest version (I selected [FONT=&quot]XWLP7 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]international version[/FONT] - Multi-CSC) under official (not Frankenstein) firmwares and follow the instructions at the beginning of the page.
    I made this update couple days ago, everything was ok, no issues, all took about 12-20 minutes. My phone is galaxy S2 GT-I1900.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews