1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Galaxy s2 question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Topcatteke, May 3, 2012.

1. Topcatteke

Topcatteke Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    Anvers, Belgium
    Hi guys I have a question about my samsung galaxy s2 yesterday i managed to update my phone to android version 4.0.3 everything works smooth but they told me you lose the root and some apps etc so I back upped everything with kies.. when the update finished i was very surprized I didn't have to put any files back on the phone everything was still inside??

I bought this phone in Athens when i was on holydays in Greece because it was alot cheaper there anyway, my greek friend rooted the phone the first day I received it, to download apps with app planet, how come my phone still works with app planet after this update? everyone told me you lose the root when you make an update? now i'm really thinking maybe my phone is not rooted? and to use app planet you might not require rooted stuffs?!

basicly the important question is how can I see that my phone is rooted? And how come i didn't lose my root after this update (if it was rooted)

King regards Yuri.

Advertisement

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Download Root Check from the market.
    This will tell you if you are properly rooted or not

Topcatteke likes this.
  3. jeremy_inc

jeremy_inc Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 2, 2010
    London, UK
    You would have lost root installing the update, but no applications. And you don't need root access to install apps from another source than the Android market.

Topcatteke likes this.
  4. Topcatteke

Topcatteke Lurker
    None

May 3, 2012
    Anvers, Belgium
    Oh i see guys thanks alot for the reply , my results are sorry this device does not have proper root acces, basicly i was thinking all the time my device was rooted because i was thinking it was required to download from different markets.. Maybe a stupid question (i search already on the net but i didn't find any clear results) what can you actually make more with a rooted device than with a non-rooted device?

Kind regards

5. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    You don't need root to use app planet. And if you can update via kies officially, then you were probably never rooted in the first place. Go to Al things root section off the forum to see the benefits although unlike ios, you can do a lot more stuff without needing to root. So for me, I found it not necessary.