1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Galaxy S2 users that previously were iPhone 4 users battery question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tal, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I was wondering if any current Galaxy S2 users that were previously iPhone 4 users, could tell me how the battery life on the S2 is compared to the iPhone 4.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

2. eirikdh

eirikdh Member
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    It

Tal likes this.
  3. carajp

carajp Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    I had an iPhone 3GS.

For the first week or so of ownership, I'd have also said it sucked.

Three weeks down the line, I've discovered some of the stuff (some widgets) I downloaded really wasn't doing the battery life any favours. In addition, the battery just seems to be performing better.

I'd now say the battery life is more or less the same as the iPhone was.

Tal likes this.
  4. theretroandroid

None

Jul 9, 2010
    India
    I get about a day and a half on full charge. Im a heavy texter, listen to a lot of music, mobile data transfer always on (which refreshes most of my apps on the homescreen) and use the browser every night. Thats pretty decent if you ask me. All this on about 50% brightness.

Tal likes this.
  5. Wullie

Wullie Member
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    I find the display accounts for at least 50% of my battery life all the time, whether I'm using wifi, gps, browsing, it's always simply having the display on that really canes it, usually turned to the lowest setting unless I'm outside. No idea whether this is standard though, as an Android newcomer.

I'm usually in the red each night, but I charge it anyway so it's not really a problem.

Tal likes this.
  6. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I agree that does seem good.

I suppose when we all get a new phone we mess around with them for a while and in doing this the screen is always on, and in doing this, drain the battery faster, than we would weeks further down the line.

Average daily use for me would probably be:

Listen to about 30 mins of music.

Send a few texts.

A short phone call.

I tend to not have email set to push, as its not always convenient for my phone to be alerting me often to new email, so I tend to just manually check for email as and when its convenient.

A few minutes of web browsing (sometimes I don't do this if I'm near a computer or will shortly be).

7. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help, its appreciated.

I suppose when we all get a new phone we mess around with them for a while and in doing this the screen is always on, and in doing this, drain the battery faster, than we would weeks further down the line.

I can remember my iPhone 4 battery not been very good until after a few charges and a complete discharge, then it was better.

Are you pleased you moved away from Apple to Android, or are there things you miss?

8. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011

9. carajp

carajp Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Honestly? Not a thing! Even though the Kies software is rubbish and it took me ages to get syncing with Outlook sorted out, I am absolutely in *love* with this phone. Most fun I've had in years! I've fiddled with everything to the n'th degree, making it just exactly how I want it. I love the screen - the extra size is great for those of us with eyesight that's ...*cough*... getting on in years. I love the speed. I - most of all - love the freedom. Can't see me ever going back to Apple.

I'd say, if you just want to pick it up and use it, maybe downloading a few apps... Well, the Samsung is just better hardware and every app I wanted I found (or found functionally the same thing). I have a friend like that, not in the least techie, and she loves hers.

If you're at all of the geek persuasion, you're going to be in Nerd Heaven. ;) A fiddler and poker's paradise.:p

Tal likes this.
  10. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    That's very useful advice and I appreciate the opinion of a former iPhone user.

I'm basically wanting a change from Apple, can't fault the iPhone at all, and that's been honest. I'm wanting a bit more freedom to do more with my phone, compared to now, and the ability to browse the net and see flash video, admittedly not a massive problem for me with the iPhone, more of an annoyance.

11. johnyfalco

johnyfalco Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    I would have to say the iphone 4 battery lasts longer than the sg2. I still have the iphone 4 here waiting to be used if I decide I dont like the sg2. I am still using the SG2
    I have purchased a extended battery for the SG2, which is yet to be delivered, so hopefully that may help.

12. taxi/man/derry

None

Jun 21, 2011
    taxi/man
    derry/londonderry/ireland
    Hope you did not ordered from /www.nicecans.co, i am waiting three weeks
    now, total disaster of a firm take your money quick enough.

13. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help.

I've got to admit that I find the iPhone 4 battery excellent, especially for a smartphone.

Are you liking the SG2/Android more than the iPhone/iOS?

14. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    How long were you an iPhone user, before getting the S2?

15. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I suppose what you have got to take into account with battery life with Android/S2, is that it allows a lot more things (widgets) to run in the background, when compared with iPhone/iOS. Has far as I know, there are no such things as widgets on the iPhone/iOS.

With Android, battery life bound to be affected if you have a large amount of widgets running in the background.

16. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Owner
    Jacksonville, FL
    I still use both devices and would have to say the iPhone 4 beats it but only by a little. I am not dissapointed in the SG2 and after a hard days use, still have plenty of power.

I am still on the original OS and polling mail every 5 minutes 24/7

If you are a heavy game player the CPU and screen use 90% of the total battery and will kill it quicker than anything. I do not do games

Tal likes this.
  17. carajp

carajp Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Around 3 years. And don't get me wrong, I really liked my iPhones. I just like my Samsung more! :)

Tal likes this.
  18. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I still have my iPhone4 and the battery life on the SGS2 as compared to the iPhone4 is pitiful (as are all Android phones that I have used, Atrix4g, HTC Inspire 4g, HTC Evo4g, etc.). The iPhone4 is peerless for a smartphone as far as battery life is concerned, and it

Tal likes this.
  19. colonels

colonels Member
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    if you dont have any battery drain bugs (which are mostly tied to bad apps or widgets) then it is comparable, but of course iphone4 is better.

i would say SG2 is about 80% of iphone4 battery life with same usage, just keep screen on auto brightness and optimized for the image it displays setting checked

where the iphone shines is the standy battery life, my phone would lose maybe 2% overnight whereas my SG2 will lose 12%

again assuming no battery drain bug which a lot of people have and lose like 40% overnight but that is not my case

Tal likes this.
  20. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

If I were in the scenario of having a battery drain. Is it easy to determine which app or widget is the cause of it, and if so, how do you go about finding which it is.

21. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011

22. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    Hi Tal

I am an iPhone4 user who has just purchased an S2.

As far as I am concerned, so long as it can last a day, I'm happy. All my phones get charged overnight regardless of how much they have left.

I have brightness at 50%, I am sensible about widgets etc but I have not had the phone long enough to make a judgement. I'm not concerned though.

The things I miss:

The fluidity of iOS (it's just a app launcher really, so it never has much to do)
    The screen (iPhone screen is way better - I have to zoom to read web stuff on S2)
    iTunes (I like all my eggs in one basket, and I enjoyed purchasing from the handset)

Jury still out:
    Havent had chance to test headphone music quality yet
    Battery life inconclusive as yet

Things I'm happy with:
    Like the weight
    I managed to find most of the app equivalents from the iPhone
    RF and data speed seem excellent
    Generally, Android seems a bit more able to replace my iPhone nowadays

I have both devices, so please feel free to ask a question. There are plenty of bashers on here who never owned an iPhone and don't really know what they're talking about. Try to filter out the fanboys.

Tal likes this.
  23. Tal

Tal Member
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    What was the main reason you decided to move from iOS/iPhone to Android/S2 trick202?

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

24. trick202

trick202 Android Expert
    None

Aug 26, 2009
    Designer
    UK
    That's easy:

In the past, I have jumped to a Hero and a Desire. Both were replacements for my iPhone at the time. I bought them out of boredom mainly - but always returned to the iPhone as the UX was so much better (at the time) and there was usually a new device/iOS update out.

This time, I already have the iOS update (iOS5 beta2) so I know what to expect. It's nice, but my excitement has waned a lot sooner than I predicted. A new device would be cool - but I don't see a lot of improvements the iPhone4 needs (aside from a larger screen).

Google plus has made the transition much easier.